Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Recent Army M16/M4 bolt issues

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    To continue this thread derail, I've put thousands of rounds of Tula and Wolf (.223) through multiple ARs over the years, some with noticeably tighter chambers than others, and never had problems with the ammo functioning properly.

Great training fodder, at least it was when it was 180/1,000. Now my reloads are by FAR the cheapest ammo I can get ahold of.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    I must correct myself. The original barrel I had on the S&W was the OEM chrome lined one. I made a pistol out of it by cutting it back to 11" (of course I used a different lower before someone goes there). Eventually I bought a BA 14.5" melonited barrel which I took to the carbine class and had the stuck cases problem with. That is the reason to this day I still won't do a melonited/QPQ/similar barrel ever again. Now could the chamber have been out of spec? Sure, that's possible. Does melonite not play well with steel-cased ammo? Maybe not. Combination of both? Could be that too. Don't know for sure.

Just wanted to clarify that the chrome lined S&W barrel was NOT the one I used at that carbine class where I had problems.
    Rgr. Makes sense since my experience with the same barrel and ammo didnt match up with yours.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Rgr. Makes sense since my experience with the same barrel and ammo didnt match up with yours.
    lol

I've made so many flippin' mods on stuff and moved parts around over the years I lost track! I was reading what I wrote and thought "Wait a minute, that's not how that carbine was set up during that class".
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    The issue with lubed ammo is that it prevents a proper gripping of the chamber walls by the case, increasing bolt thrust. I remember reading that as a kid and it seems so logical that I have always believed it. Increased bolt thrust=reduced bolt life-- I also believe that. I believe these things but I confess I don't know them. Do I go in after cleaning and swab the chamber walls with solvent to make sure there's not a smidge of anything in there? Nope. But I do try to patch it "pretty dang dry".

Seems to me like oil between the cartridge case and chamber wall would actually combust a la Diesel with all that pressure but I've never seen that postulated or discussed.
    Ever see an M16\M4\AR-15 with wisps of smoke coming from the ejection port? That's the exess oil burning off. I've never seen CLP or anything else actually combust on a rifle, but I did see a ball off flame come out of the ejection port of a semi auto shotugun because of excess lube.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt_Gold View Post
    Ever see an M16\M4\AR-15 with wisps of smoke coming from the ejection port? That's the exess oil burning off. I've never seen CLP or anything else actually combust on a rifle, but I did see a ball off flame come out of the ejection port of a semi auto shotugun because of excess lube.
    Is that a confirmed thing? I'm a little skeptical. I've had plenty of cases go down my shirt and they don't seem hot enough to burn oil off. Just make you dance a little bit for the firing line's entertainment.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt_Gold View Post
    Wow. All these years I thought that was just the gas escaping from the vent ports in the cutout on the side of the carrier during a normal cycle of operation....
    "Knowledge without experience is just information"--Mark Twain

Hindsight is 6920

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
    That reminds me of when I ran into some camo dude wannabes at the pit, multicam vests, helmets, gloves, tactical belts, the whole nine yards. Friendly guys though, one of them offered to let me shoot his AR, I said "sure" and grabbed one of my mags loaded up with laquer coated Brown Bear, as soon as he saw that the expression on his face changed, said he didn't want any laquer coated steel case going through his gun, didn't want to mess up his chamber. No problem, it's his gun, his decision, but it just made me chuckle, to get all camo'd out like that and then wet your pants over a little laquer. I've never had a problem with stuck cases firing thousands of rounds of steel case that was either laquer coated or poly coated, never had a problem switching from steel to brass back to steel back to brass without cleaning. I think the steel case ammo chamber issues are a myth.
    Why would you chuckle? What does him training with his gear on have to do with him not wanting to use brown bear ammo? You come across as pompous and the I’m better then you attitude because you don’t train with gear on. Many don’t use that ammo.
    Last edited by indianalex01; 12-01-20 at 08:27. Reason: Wrong

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    Is that a confirmed thing? I'm a little skeptical. I've had plenty of cases go down my shirt and they don't seem hot enough to burn oil off. Just make you dance a little bit for the firing line's entertainment.
    It happens with all sorts of weapons; any excess lube gets blasted off of surfaces through the act of firing, and it might take a couple-few shots, where it's most likely to present as smoky. If shooting ammo that lacks flash suppressants...I remember shooting some Portugese made stuff through a braked gun, looked like an AT-4 going off...you might see a few flashoffs from time to time.

Something being aerosolized enough to flash off isn't gonna automatically transfer heat to metal, and it's the burning gases that light off vapors, not raw heat.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567