Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who make a quality shotshell bandoleer?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Thank you both- I hadnt considered a bag before...thinking of the movie Way of the Gun...the ole boy with the shotty used a bag.
    Anyone else care to chime in on bag vs. bandoleer?
    Back in the 1970's I carried two gas mask bags, one loaded with buckshot the other loaded with slugs. I carried ferret shells in the outside compartments used for storing plastic bags. It worked well enough back in the day in daylight or dark.

I went through two of the Uncle Mikes style bandoleers in the late 1980's and early 1990's and thought they were a waste of time and money.

I currently keep one gas mask bag full of buckshot that I can quickly grab when I pick up the M870. It works well enough that I won't consider another bandoleer, even a higher quality one.

Before I would consider a bandoleer, I would put a dump pouch on a web belt if I were not confident with the gas mask bag.
    Last edited by T2C; 11-09-20 at 21:15.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    If you want more positive control of your shells then mount some velcro on your receiver/stock and get a bunch of these. Then you can use any type of mag bandoleer/pouch to carry extra.

https://esstac.com/shotgun/

Cheap version...
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tactical-Ho....m46890.l49292

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    https://www.amazon.com/Mossberg-Roun.../dp/B01E737DNC

Academy sports sells these, not sure if this is exactly what your looking for.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    I've tried using a shotshell bandoleer and while it looked cool (as it does in the movies), it didn't function well for me. I had the nylon type with elastic loops on the front and back, and carried shells with the brass end down. The problem starts once you start extracting shells. Of course, I couldn't access the ones in the back, and they also interfered with my sling. When I started pulling shells near the bottom and front, the weight of the shells in the bandoleer would start pulling it down, as it'd want to 'self correct' and rotate so the empty loops would be on top. Sometimes I'd pull and since the bandoleer wasn't tight or secured, I'd fight the elastic loop. It wasn't like extracting a mag from a mag pouch. Also, it was never consistent where I'd get the shells from - kind of wherever I could grab a hold of one.

I'd go with a dump pouch with stiff opening if worn on the belt, or a small shoulder bag like others have recommended (a waist strap helps keep it in the same spot on your waist). One without a flap and a zipper opening so you don't have to fight the flap. The best set up for a shotgun class I found was a dump pouch on the belt (weak side kidney), with a couple of two or four shell speedloaders on the belt (weak side front) which I'd keep replenishing from the pouch when I had a chance. That way, your shells are always reloaded from the same spot, and not flailing around on a bandoleer.
    ^^Yep

I have an OSOE 12ga Micro Rig that can be set up has a shoulder bag bandoleer style or chest rig. I have two Aridus Quick-Detach Carriers in the inside pouches (along with one on the weapon) and 12 rounds on the outside. I typical feed off the receiver but have the option of feeding from the rig. The larger utility pouch can hold medical gear or a 25 round box of additional shotgun shells.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by the AR-15 Junkie View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Mossberg-Roun.../dp/B01E737DNC

Academy sports sells these, not sure if this is exactly what your looking for.
    Yes, I like that a lot. Ill look around for that..but Im very interested in a bag also.
    I usually have a receiver mounted shellholder as well as one on the stock, but the Shockwave of course lacks that.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    ^^Yep

I have an OSOE 12ga Micro Rig that can be set up has a shoulder bag bandoleer style or chest rig...............
    How does the Micro Rig hold up to physical activity, i.e. running, crawling, climbing, etc.?
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    How does the Micro Rig hold up to physical activity, i.e. running, crawling, climbing, etc.?
    I haven't done much in the way of crawling or climbing but have taken a couple classes with it and running, kneeling and barricade work was no issue. I have it setup with an H-harness which hugs to the body well. The rig itself is very well constructed and over stitched. I like the setup, especially with a pass-through dump pouch on my belt.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Use these on a chest rig for 3 gun and like them.

https://safariland.com/products/mode...-carrier-34768

Before those I used a Blackhawk version of this except the shells were carried vertically.

https://www.beezcombatsystems.com/Ta...CR-TS-1000.htm

I would think the bandoleer would be almost as bad as a shell carrying sling. Where you can't snug it down, that is a lot of weight bouncing around.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I was initially just thinking of an easy way to move/transport/grab a lot of rounds in a hurry if need be..just something to throw on in case needed. I just want something low key, low speed for home defense.
    However- were I to take a class, some of these rigs yall have shown look really good.
    Still leaning towards a bag, tho.
    The slings that carry shells...thats rediculous. And I dont use a sling on a shotty myself anyway.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    I have a neoprene shotgun belt similar to this one https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabe...f&gclsrc=3p.ds

I've had it for almost 20 years. I don't do 3 gun shooting or any run and gun stress shooting with shotguns, but I wouldn't hesitate to use a belt for that role. I use it mostly for shooting clays and squirrel hunting. It's wears very comfortably for hours in both of those roles. I haven't needed to do speed reloads with it, but I feel that re loading off a belt line would be a very natural motion (if you shoot pistol) vs a bandolier or reaching in a bag. Might be another option to check out.
    Last edited by Pirate EC; 11-12-20 at 16:36.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast