Thread: Barrel dimpling question

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Barrel dimpling question

I see people with LMT 308 rifles and dimpled barrels from Marvin Pitts. Is it worth the cost? I’ve no idea what the cost is and have emailed. How much weight does it take off? The weight doesn’t necessarily put me off but lighter wouldn’t hurt....if it really is a significant felt difference.

Edit: Is a 20” barrel worth getting? I’m currently not able to shoot beyond 200y but want ability to shoot/hunt at least 400y. And this might a supremely stupid question but can I use this for a Long Range course? I doubt it but had to ask; thinking if taking a course that’s only like an hour away.
    Last edited by Clubmanager; 11-09-20 at 06:13.

Feedback Score
    Weight savings is about 4oz on a 13.5” LMT MWS 308 barrel
    The dimples increase the barrel’s surface area, increasing cooling

I only have a 16” gas .308 gun. I’m able to shoot out to just over 800, have only shot it out to 600
    A 20” would serve no purpose for me

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Copy. Just watched a video of a guy shooting 1K+ yards with a 13.5” barrel so gonna concentrate in saving for a second rifle instead. Thanks for the information, not sure I’ll do the dimpling. Depends on cost considering the minimum upside mentioned.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Looks like $250 for dimpling a 16" barrel...plus shipping but they're practically in my backyard so hopefully I can deliver. They do cerakoting as well; would it be a crime to cerakote a LMT MWS with Multicam?

Feedback Score
    I’ve had Marvin do a bunch of Noveske barrels for me many years ago, before he was found out. All KAC dimpled with black Cerakote.
    Yes it makes a difference in handling as it’s the barrel where the weight’s coming off. Typically 6oz comes off on a 16 308 barrel or 14.5 556 barrel.
    I kinda got tired of the Gucci look, and I sold them all off. I moved to lighter profile barrels (not pencil or anything) and dropped even more weight. Still have tons of pics and recorded all of the before>after weights.

Let me know if you want any of the weights. I have before and after 14.5 Afghan, 10.5 QCB, 16.0 308 N6.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks a lot for the thorough response! Don't need the actual weights and do recognize the weight difference affecting handling performance. Question re: that is in what way? More muzzle rise perhaps? I've only shot it supported thus far so have no clue. As a side note; Man, this thing shoots so smooth. I won't say it felt like a 5.56 but for a 308, I was surprised how comfortable it was. I put a Nightforce 2.5-20 on it (and a RMR) and it was like shooting lasers.
    There's a 4 week wait with Marvin; waiting on a couple things to fall into place financially and off the barrel goes for dimpling and cerakote. I may also cerakote the whole rifle in multicam, bottomland or kryptek highlander. Decisions, decisions.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clubmanager View Post
    Thanks a lot for the thorough response! Don't need the actual weights and do recognize the weight difference affecting handling performance. Question re: that is in what way? More muzzle rise perhaps? I've only shot it supported thus far so have no clue. As a side note; Man, this thing shoots so smooth. I won't say it felt like a 5.56 but for a 308, I was surprised how comfortable it was. I put a Nightforce 2.5-20 on it (and a RMR) and it was like shooting lasers.
    There's a 4 week wait with Marvin; waiting on a couple things to fall into place financially and off the barrel goes for dimpling and cerakote. I may also cerakote the whole rifle in multicam, bottomland or kryptek highlander. Decisions, decisions.....
    Any weight you can take off of a 308 forward of the receiver makes a huge difference. I don't build tank 308 bench rifles that shoot paper, I build 308 rifles I can hike around the woods for hours with and shoulder 200-300 yard shots on Elk with. My current one weighs 6.45lbs before optics.

All that said, much faster pointing, much easier to hold on target etc. Hard to say if dimpling is the right move - only you can answer that. I think it's a pretty intrusive process to the harmonics of the barrel, as is reprofiling a barrel. It is a much better method than reprofiling in relation to maintaining low deflection IMO.

But, you're basically completely changing the whole barrel, good or bad. I saw no negative effects on pre-post Marvin work. His work is exceptional.

Depends on your purposes. Are you shooting groups @ 1,000 yds? Might want to stick with the stock barrel. Is it a "Battle Rifle"? The less weight the better with not so much of a concern with MOA @ 800-1,000yds.
    Last edited by Brahmzy; 11-19-20 at 11:05.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post
    I’ve had Marvin do a bunch of Noveske barrels for me many years ago, before he was found out. ....
    Is this all about the KAC patent? (linked here)

If one reads the patent closely it is not difficult to "get around" it.