Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 253

Thread: 556 ammo anybody?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    6,346
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

    556 ammo anybody?

    What is the deal with the ammo shortage? Is it raw materials? Goberment buying it all? 556, 9mm , 45acp it doesn't matter, not available.

    Because its not like you see stuff come available then its gone quickly. Nothing is available or seems to becoming available?

    I thought it was boring from panics at first but now I see nothing, teach a brother something.

    I take it back I did find some stuff at Midway USA but slim and expensive.

    PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 11-09-20 at 19:31.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    5
    Feedback Score
    0
    Panic buying when covid hit and then all of the social unrest that caused everyone and their mother to go buy guns and ammo. Now it's going to be made even worse with ol Shotgun Joe and Kamala Harris in the White House.

    Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    suburbs of Philly Pa
    Posts
    5,243
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's from panics. Mostly from seasoned owners. When you have 20k rounds do you say that enough or do you say 1k more can't hurt?! Add to that guys who can spend $30k without batting an eye and there goes your smmo

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    1,002
    Feedback Score
    0
    Government isnít buying anymore than normal.

    I have friends that work in ammo plants. They are facing the same COVID nonsense slowing down production as everybody else. Combine that with hoarders and panic-buyers from COVID, social unrest, and the election and you have the perfect storm.

    Currently, buying in bulk isnít an option unless youíre willing to pay $700-800/1000 for crummy ammo. If you shop around at momínípops you can find small quantities at reasonable prices. Even Academy has large quantities of ammo in stock but is limiting purchases.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    North Alabama
    Posts
    2,753
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Reduced production due to social distancing in the factories, reduced raw materials and distribution for the same reason. The only lead smelter in the US closed during the previous administration and a lot of our powders are made overseas.

    The ammo companies and distributors got stuck with a ton of surplus ammo they had to sell at reduced prices after the last pre-election panic.

    I agree it's strange that it does not even look like a reduced amount of ammunition is available in some parts of the country . Panic buying alone does not explain why ammunition has dissappeared, not being bought up by scalpers and re-sold, just gone.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 11-09-20 at 19:42.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    345
    Feedback Score
    0
    From what I understand right now the backlog is primers. They aren't easy to manufacture, so even reloading is impacted.

    I just got 1,200 from Midway at $0.57 per round and it sold out fast.
    Unfortunately, I don't see the cost or availability getting better any time in the near future.



    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    1,002
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Reduced production due to social distancing in the factories, reduced raw materials and distribution for the same reason. The only lead smelter in the US closed during the previous administration and a lot of our powders are made overseas.

    The ammo companies and distributors got stuck with a ton of surplus ammo they had to sell at reduced prices after the last pre-election panic.

    I agree it's strange that it does not even look like a reduced amount of ammunition is available in some parts of the country . Panic buying alone does not explain why ammunition has dissappeared, not being bought up by scalpers and re-sold, just gone.
    Most lead used in bullets is recycled. There is no shortage of lead in the United Stated.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    154
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    What is the deal with the ammo shortage? Is it raw materials? Goberment buying it all? 556, 9mm , 45acp it doesn't matter, not available.

    Because its not like you see stuff come available then its gone quickly. Nothing is available or seems to becoming available?

    I thought it was boring from panics at first but now I see nothing, teach a brother something.

    I take it back I did find some stuff at Midway USA but slim and expensive.

    PB
    Somehow I am seriously doubting that you were one of those that got caught with their pants down and did not stock up long ago to make sure that you were not subject to market 'disturbances'.




    One of the reasons I don't post pictures of my 'going to the range' junk is because I know darn well a guy like you will come along right after and post pictures of his pallet jack (loaded way beyond capacity no doubt) sitting next to his spot.




    Stuff is not 'available' right now because guys like you bought it all when it was cheap and stacked it way past 'deep' leaving mere scraps behind for the rest of us schmucks.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    392
    Feedback Score
    0
    The coincidence theorist in me tells me that’s its being artificially done. Guy I know says that groups are buying extremely large amounts and apparently it’s not showing up in the market. Not sure if it’s being bought in preparation for something or simply stick piling. That’s anyone’s guess.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    suburbs of Philly Pa
    Posts
    5,243
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PracticalRifleman View Post
    Government isnít buying anymore than normal.

    I have friends that work in ammo plants. They are facing the same COVID nonsense slowing down production as everybody else. Combine that with hoarders and panic-buyers from COVID, social unrest, and the election and you have the perfect storm.

    Currently, buying in bulk isnít an option unless youíre willing to pay $700-800/1000 for crummy ammo. If you shop around at momínípops you can find small quantities at reasonable prices. Even Academy has large quantities of ammo in stock but is limiting purchases.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Plenty of people willing to pay that. Cheaper Than Dirt has been proving it for over a decade

    Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •