Thread: Do I need to clean under my FF rail?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Do I need to clean under my FF rail?

How often should you clean the barrel under your Free floating rail? I've had my rail (LaRue 13.2) installed for over a year now and I've never removed it. I don't know if I should worry about rust eventually, or if there is ever a real need to clean under it?

Does exposure to water, (rain, dropped in a puddle) warrant removing it and throughly cleaning under the rail and cleaning the barrel? (obviously this is preferred, I'm just asking if it is 100% necessary)

Also, do I have to remove it or can I clean it "good enough" through the holes in it?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I clean under my rails every so often without removing them.

Between the holes in it and the opening at the end, if I get some light in there periodically, I can reach any funk that may have accumulated.

I use a "modified" wire hanger with a small piece of cloth attached to the end and a little bit of CLP....after wiping the barrel down with a dry cloth first.

I can reach all I need to that way and I don't do it very often.
    AMERICAN INFIDEL

Feedback Score
    If you can't get underneath the handguard, you can use some sort of water displacing chemical like Gun Scrubber. Let it dry, and then lube (spray some gun oil like CLP there) as a rust preventative.
    Nemo me impune lacessit

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Don't let it affect your decision on a new rifle, that's for sure!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SuicideHz View Post
    Don't let it affect your decision on a new rifle, that's for sure!
    The only question that could stop a new gun purchase would be "Is jamming a problem?"

Feedback Score
    How often should you clean FF rail should depend on the frequency and nature of use. However, I prefer a clean 250-300 rounds of target practice. If the gun is used for hunting, then you need to clean that after every use. Patches and cleaning rods would be best if you clean the gun and don't forget to lubricate your rifle often. Even the gun is not in use prefer cleaning the gun every month. Cheers

Feedback Score
    People actually clean this area of the weapon?

The only thing I ever cleaned was the bolt area and barrel. And thats for both personal and government weapons. I keep the chamber, bore, bolt, and buffer spring clean. But as far as cleaning the exterior... i only wipe down. Never seen anyone clean a barrel under the guards/ rails.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    13 year old thread... Bush was POTUS when this was last posted...

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Yikes!
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!