Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: 556 ammo anybody?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    They only have Aguila and it's out of stock AND it's $13.99. At that price a case is $280. About $100 overpriced! If prices haven't gone up this ammo should be $180.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    It’s 13.99 because it’s a box of 50, not a bulk quantity like a 1,000 round case which lowers the cost per round. I don’t know what GT you’re going to, but the one by me has 50 round boxes of Federal. I assume you haven’t been in this game long enough to understand.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tacticaldesire View Post
    Manufacturers have absolutely raised their prices.
    Oh really, what is your source?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkmagurk View Post
    It’s 13.99 because it’s a box of 50, not a bulk quantity like a 1,000 round case which lowers the cost per round. I don’t know what GT you’re going to, but the one by me has 50 round boxes of Federal. I assume you haven’t been in this game long enough to understand.
    I've been in the game since 1998. I'm not going to any GT because I don't do panics. I don't need one to live so when stupid starts I can easily avoid GTs. Have not stepped in one since May with the exception of doing paperwork for a handgun I sold 3 weeks ago. and have no intention to nor interest in.

However pre panic that ammo was still less than $14. About $9 a box actually. So either you were always being ripped off of they're ripping you of now, based on your opinion that it's just the gun stores raising prices

Last edited by Arik; 11-12-20 at 21:08.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    You have to like doing it. That's for sure. Otherwise, it's never going to pay off... even in these types of markets.
    Harder to save money reloading if a guy is loading to have more cheap plinking ammo but if handloading to have and maintain a stock of the more expensive stuff it pays off very quickly.

460 Rowland is a good example. You can't buy that stuff anywhere for under a dollar a round even in 'good times'.
    https://www.underwoodammo.com/collec...ge_460-rowland

Not counting the cost of the brass I can quickly and easily roll those using Gold Dots or Hornady XTP's for less than 30 cents a pop.

Reason I don't count the cost of the brass - If you don't 'lose' it somehow it will pretty much last forever. Even if you were the sort that was concerned about multiple full power loadings on the same piece of brass and chose not to venture down that road - That stuff can easily be trimmed and set aside for regular 45acp loadings after firing that full house 460 loading. At 45acp levels that stuff is going to last forever (or until you lose it).

Last year at some point Midway had 460 brass on clearance for LESS than new 45acp brass directly from Starline cost. I had plenty at the time but when brass like that goes on sale for less than what regular 45acp brass from the same manufacturer costs... My ass is buying as much as I can.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. Who's to say components won't be taxed like that too?

I have a certain level where I feel I'm not willing to spend the money. For instance, I'm not paying my mortgage worth for ammo. Period. Even if I were a millionaire. I'm not the kind to spend money just because I have it.

On the other hand I tried reloading. Have a press, supplies and all. Took about 30 min until I lost interest and stopped focusing. Afterwards I was just forcing myself. And none of that is good.

Maybe it will, maybe it won’t. But there is a price which people quit buying and shooting ammo. We’ve exceeded that for you in today’s market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Brother- before you get on a high horse, let it be known Ive lived long enough to see the goblins go after reloading components SEVERAL times, especially after 9/11.
    They no more want you to be able to have that ability than they want you to own "assault rifles". Ive heard Feinstein, Schumer & others over the past decades say several times that gunpowder shouldnt be readily available to just anyone.
    So, dont go thinking you are under the radar.
    YOU AINT.
    Not saying I am. Strictly talking ammo prices. Been at this for two decades myself.

Feedback Score
    I picked up 3,000 primers this evening in the local sporting goods chain store.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Last Sunday I talked myself out of the last 2 boxes of 168gr Hornady ELD’s bullets at academy. It was still on the shelf today, so I snagged it. I may go back for the 180gr round nose this weekend if I have other reasons to go there.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    So for those of you looking for ammo, or considering buying extra, would ~$650/case M193 be "reasonable" in this market? What about ~$500/case for 9mm 124gr FMJ?

So far everything I see online that is brass cased .223/5.56 (usually PMC) is going for $750-$840 per case. Brass case 9mm is at $575-$600 per case.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kyjd75 View Post
    Ky. Gun Co., Bardstown, Ky., had several pallets of Federal 5.56 M193, albeit at $.80/round with no limits on quantity. This was last Friday (11/6).
    I saw that too. Lots of Browning 9mm too. $22 a box.

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast