Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt 6920, LMT SPM 14/16, M4 Viability

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Colt 6920, LMT SPM 14/16, M4 Viability

I have a carbine (LMT SPM14) that is set up similarly to an M4 (quad rail, AP red dot, A2 PG, waffle stock). Its funtionally identical to an M4 or base Colt 6920 with an added quad rail and red dot.

How does the "M4 clone" configuration perform compared to more modern guns? What is gained by adding more modern/ergonomic grips, rails, and stocks?

I find the acute angle pistol grips and midlength (or longer) handguards much more comfortable than the A2 PG and crowded carbine length handguards, but am curious if folks here are seeing a quantifiable increase in performance using the newer configurations.

I know I should take both to the range and test test test but I feel results of better shooters than I are more valuable.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 11-10-20 at 07:21.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    If you start with a good base (Colt 6920 or SPM14 like you have), then you don't gain all that much from the longer handguards and all the aftermarket pistol grips and stocks besides comfort - assuming that you're not mounting anything to the rifle, ie IR lasers etc.

There's nothing wrong with quad rails, but the more modern MLOK rails do save some weight especially if you're not going to be mounting much on the handguard anyway. The longer handguards may be more comfortable for you as well, but that's also dependent on your body type. Not everyone has long arms, so for some the carbine length handguards are just fine.

Training and familiarity with your setup will get you more noticeable results than upgrading a handguard or grip. While the newer rails and grips can help, I doubt you would see much beyond a negligible increase in performance.
    Last edited by w3453l; 11-10-20 at 09:28.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I have a carbine (LMT SPM14) that is set up similarly to an M4 (quad rail, AP red dot, A2 PG, waffle stock). Its funtionally identical to an M4 or base Colt 6920 with an added quad rail and red dot.

How does the "M4 clone" configuration perform compared to more modern guns? What is gained by adding more modern/ergonomic grips, rails, and stocks?

I find the acute angle pistol grips and midlength (or longer) handguards much more comfortable than the A2 PG and crowded carbine length handguards, but am curious if folks here are seeing a quantifiable increase in performance using the newer configurations.

I know I should take both to the range and test test test but I feel results of better shooters than I are more valuable.

Andy
    6920 with N1 stock, A2 grip, KAC RAS, Aimpoint and surefire is my comfort zone. While I admire all the configurations that fellow members build or buy here, I don't envy them. I have boxes of stocks and pistol grips that I've tried, and I've talked myself out of an extended rail any number of times. Without lasers or nods I just don't need the rail space.
    Being built like an old tree stump with short limbs, makes the standard M4 configuration like a custom fit for me, but I can easily see the need for larger humanoids to go for more.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Personally I like the angle of the A2 grip, I feel it gives me better leverage over the rifle during one hand manipulation, I also like the finger bump, fits my hand like a glove. Tried a reduced angle grip and honestly hated it, went back to A2. There's definitely a case to be made that holding further out on the handguard can increase performance, but the question is does that position cause fatigue? How long can it be maintained? I'm talking about the straight armed, holding way the hell out at the end of the barrel type of shooting. I also realize I'm in the minority when it comes to the A2 grip.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Other than wiggle, I am pretty neutral on different stocks.

The LMT is not my only AR, for what it's worth.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 11-10-20 at 12:34.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Unless you are in the 90th percentile of shooters, like consistently scoring top 3 or 5 at your local matches, you are unlikely to see any major gains from a longer handguard or carbine vs midlength. If you want to see immediate performance gains then changing your muzzle device to a brake would be the easiest option. The harder option would be to shoot...a lot until you hit a wall where you cant get any faster with technique then change configuration till you see a meaningful performance increase.

This is coming from a guy that own the exact same set up as you (LMT 14.5 /w 7" quad rail) 10ish years ago. I shot out the barrel and only then did put a new midlength barrel with a longer handguard as a replacement.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Other than wiggle, I am pretty neutral on different stocks.

The LMT is not my only AR, for what it's worth.
    Andy, a little tape on the RE will snug up most any stock, I sure have to use it with an N1 on a Colt RE. I could really duct tape the damn thing in place as I rarely move it. I did go to a Colt MK 18 6 pos RE to get the stock where I want it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncas47 View Post
    6920 with N1 stock, A2 grip, KAC RAS, Aimpoint and surefire is my comfort zone. While I admire all the configurations that fellow members build or buy here, I don't envy them. I have boxes of stocks and pistol grips that I've tried, and I've talked myself out of an extended rail any number of times. Without lasers or nods I just don't need the rail space.
    Being built like an old tree stump with short limbs, makes the standard M4 configuration like a custom fit for me, but I can easily see the need for larger humanoids to go for more.
    amen, love me some standard m4

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I have a 16" midlength that I always keep in a small safe in our bedroom closet and put my LMT there as well while I am re-arranging my larger safe. They are distinctly different and I really prefer the way the midlength handles (BCM lightweight with Magpul MOE handguards).

I also know that "feels better" doesn't always equate better performance, which is where the question came from.

Andy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncas47 View Post
    I am built quite differently from you but I, like you, have not yet found a reason for extended railed handguards. Mine is carbine length with Magpul SL handguards which extend under and around the front sight tower. Gives it a mid-length look and feel. More ammo and a good optic are what I need.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast