Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colt 6920, LMT SPM 14/16, M4 Viability

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Here's the Crane info on carbine vs mid-length on a 14.5" barrel. Digest it however you will.

https://soldiersystems.net/2018/05/1...d-performance/

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    Here's the Crane info on carbine vs mid-length on a 14.5" barrel. Digest it however you will.

Unfortunately, the link focuses on extended barrel life, which is not directly related to gas system length. The reduced cyclic rate for a midlength gas system should not be shocking to anyone with much AR experience. Again, the linked article does not address increased or decreased wear and breakage of parts caused by gas system length.

Feedback Score

Appears that you posted this without really reading it. Doesn’t really support what you said. Try to keep things factual vice opinion. Thanks.
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Here's a link to the actual Crane slide deck report.

https://partner-mco-archive.s3.amazo...1527866983.pdf

I'm using the other poster's term "violent" to refer to the measured difference in bolt speed, with the mid-length being slower.

The mid-length gun's bolt speed is 22.6% slower than the carbine-length gun.

The mid-length gun's action cycles 15.9% slower than the carbine-length gun in full auto.

I guess it's semantics, but a slower cycling gun seems "less violent" to me. Less malfunctions seems "less violent" also.

Averaged overall bolt speeds and differences in bolt speeds are presented in Table. The P-Values of
    bolt speed results for both suppressed and unsuppressed fire are less than 0.05, so there is a statistically
    significant difference between the two gas systems. Bolt speed is uniformly lower for mid-length gas
    systems when compared to carbine-length gas systems. Mid length bolt speed was 2.13 fps, or 12.4%,
    lower than carbine-length for suppressed fire and 3.23 fps, or 22.6%, lower for unsuppressed fire.

Averaged overall cyclic rate of automatic fire and differences in cyclic rate for all round
    counts is presented in Table. The P-Values of all cyclic rate of automatic fire results are less
    than 0.05, so there is a statistically significant difference between the two gas systems for
    these parameters. Mid length cyclic rate of automatic fire was 62.7 rounds per minute (rpm),
    or 7%, lower than carbine-length for suppressed fire and 127.2 rpm, or 16%, lower for
    unsuppressed fire.
    Averaged cyclic rate of automatic fire for ambient temperature testing
    are similar to overall results.

Carbine-length gas systems experienced a total of 65 malfunctions directly attributable to the
    weapon and 13 unserviceable parts. Mid-length gas systems experienced a total of 30 malfunctions
    directly attributable to the weapon and 9 unserviceable parts.
    The total numbers of malfunctions
    directly attributable to causes other than the weapon and the total numbers of unserviceable parts are
    summarized below in Mean Rounds Between Failure (MRBF).

Results:
    12,600 rounds of testing for comparison:
    - mid length gas systems experienced a total of 30 malfunctions
    - carbine length gas systems experienced a total of 65 malfunctions
    - no significant differences between the two gas systems in muzzle velocity
    - no significant differences between the two gas systems in terminal velocity
    - decrease in bolt speed and cyclic rate of automatic fire for mid length
    - no significant differences between the two gas systems in precision or barrel erosion
    - high and low temperature testing showed no significant differences (malfunctions,
    ROF) between two gas systems
    - Recommended for use
    - Recommended continuation testing for mid length.
    Last edited by grizzlyblake; 11-19-20 at 12:58.

Feedback Score

I'm using the other poster's term "violent" to refer to the measured difference in bolt speed, with the mid-length being slower.

The mid-length gun's action cycles 15.9% slower than the carbine-length gun in full auto.

I guess it's semantics, but a slower cycling gun seems "less violent" to me. Less malfunctions seems "less violent" also.
    The term that a few of you are using “violent” is a very poor choice. The Carbine gas system is a soft shooter and very reliable. I have never had an M4 fail in action and it’s a fine weapon. M16A4 is also a great weapon
    Last edited by indianalex01; 11-19-20 at 14:23. Reason: Incomplete

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yeah, I don't think people are having 6920s fail all over or anything, but the Crane testing does show the carbines gas malfunctions at a higher rate.

Malfunction Carbine-Length / Mid-Length
    Failure to fire 10 / 7
    Failure to feed (from magazine) 22 / 10
    Failure to eject 20 / 4
    Bolts fails/hold rear 7 / 3
    All other malfunctions 6 / 6
    Total-Above malfunctions combined 65 / 30
    Mean Rounds Between Failures (MRBF) 581.5 / 1,260.0

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by indianalex01 View Post
    The term that a few of you are using “violent” is a very poor choice. The Carbine gas system is a soft shooter and very reliable. I have never had an M4 fail in action and it’s a fine weapon. M16A4 is also a great weapon
    You never had any failures to extract with them back in the day when they had lighter buffers and weaker extractor springs? Or any other stoppages related to bolt speed? Or were you not using them back then?

I agree that its a fine weapon today.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Here's some light entertainment comparing a GI-type M4/M4A1 with a commercial/civilian-type AR.

" Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

lol, you still are failing here. can you catch your mistake?

oh and the percents look great until you actually look at them

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    You never had any failures to extract with them back in the day when they had lighter buffers and weaker extractor springs? Or any other stoppages related to bolt speed? Or were you not using them back then?

I agree that its a fine weapon today.
    no, ,not a one. what tie period are you referring to?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast