Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 38/357 and 44 lever guns 16"

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Although Remington bought Marlin in 2007 there were still Marlin made parts being used to assemble guns in the Remington factory through 2010. Presumably by untrained employees. The Marlins (Remlins) that were most faulty, or at least has the most cosmetic issues, were the ones assembled from 2008-2010. By 2012 for sure Remington was putting out much better quality Marlins.

I've come across several worthy Marlins since the takeover. In fact, check out Victoria All Sports. I saw a 1894c and a 1894CSBL there several weeks ago and held them. They seemed up to par.

What you really want to look for as best you can at a gun counter is straight sights (there were some I've seen at Academy that were ridiculously out of whack), good smooth surfaces on the bolt and chamber (there was terrible machining during the Remlin takeover that left metal shavings and rough spots on the chamber opening) and good unscratched screw heads and areas around the screws (I've seen tang screws that look like someone on 10 redbulls did the work)
    Open the lever and just make sure nothing is terribly loose. Wiggle the butt stock and forend and make sure they don't rock or twist. Best o luck to ya.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    excellent buyers guide.

I might swing by All Sports and check it out.

thanks matemike

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I have a Winchester Trapper 16" lever action in .357 that shoots really well. I will echo what some others have said. You can usually get them to run well with either 357 or 38, but they seem to have troubles with trying to handle both.

Mine eats 158-grain 357 Magnum Speer Gold Dots like Rosie O'Donnell mows down a Chinese buffet. If it was not such a good collector's piece, I'd have the barrel tapped for a can and mount an Aimpoint Micro on it.

I'm leaning towards a a Henry for that, or a Marlin if Ruger gets them tuned up and others have mentioned.
    I had a chance to buy a new one (a 16" with saddle ring) at Bass Pro many years ago and didn't. I could kick myself......
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    I had a chance to buy a new one (a 16" with saddle ring) at Bass Pro many years ago and didn't. I could kick myself......
    That is exactly what I have, and it sure is handy! I have had some people warn me about the Angle Eject feature, but I have never had any issues with it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    That is exactly what I have, and it sure is handy! I have had some people warn me about the Angle Eject feature, but I have never had any issues with it.
    I have a 16" Puma .357 that I put a rear peep on that is pretty cool, but it ain't no Winnie! It is light as hell and quite handy though.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    back in the the 90s, used 30-30 winnies were cheap.... $200-$300 range for clean.

I should have bought my ,44 Trapper back then.

I remember something about Angle Eject problem. What was the issue with AE?

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Allegedly the 94AE guns were more likely to experience stoppages.

I keep mine oiled and handle it properly, and I have never had a single issue. Go figure.

Feedback Score
    I think a robust cycling of the lever is key to proper function. Not doing so would be akin to "riding" the charging handle forward on an AR or M-1/M-14.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    Ah yes...

now I remember.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I've been thinking of a Uberti 1873 clone in 357
    https://www.uberti-usa.com/1873-rifle-and-carbine
    Gettin' down innagrass.