Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dirty Harry’s rifle - Winchester mod 70 - .458 Winchester Magnum

Feedback Score

Dirty Harry’s rifle - Winchester mod 70 - .458 Winchester Magnum

A long long time ago when I was very young shooter, the local gunsmith arrived at the range with two scoped hunting rifles he was sighting in for a customer who was going on a safari in Africa.

One was a Weatherby in .460, the other one a Winchester in .458. He was kind enough to let a few of us youngsters have a go with them. Needless to say it was a blast and a kick. And I remember the 458 being a lighter rifle and kicking more than the 460.

And obviously dirty Harry Callahan used one (unsuccessfully though) against Scorpio.

Fast forward 25 years, I decided to see if I could find one, so I placed a WTB ad and within two weeks a gentleman offered me a new one for sale. Well new is relative since the serial number indicates it was built in 1967, just one year before I was born, and has a few tiny handling marks.

Price was $ 1700. It also came with NOS Burris rings and mount. I’m not sure I will put a scope on it. Firstly this is not a long-range rifle and the open sights are more than adequate up to one hundred metres. Secondly the scope kiss in the face is a very real hazard with a rifle like that, kicking like a mule.

Since I had recently bought some cheap ammo for it ($ 1 per round) I took it straight to the range.

The first three shots below the bull’s-eye were taken at 25 m just to get a feel for where the rifle hits. The last two shots above the bull’s-eye were taken at 50 m. In both case standing, as it is the best way to absorb the massive recoil.

Now I have dirty Harry’s revolver, semi auto pistol and bolt action rifle. If anyone has a nice harpoon for sale, hit me up.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Excellent!!
    “ Now I have dirty Harry’s revolver, semi auto pistol and bolt action rifle. If anyone has a nice harpoon for sale, hit me up.”
    But do you have his hair and mad “shoot house” skills?!?
    Great old m70 and collection!

I have a .450 Alaskan built on an old m71 Winchester.
    Load development with 400 gr. Barnes at 2300+ FPS were agony from the bench, but doable standing, as you mention.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    So great....beautiful rifle. Im so damned sick of EVERYTHING "tactical" or plastic or modern as needed as they are.
    NOTHING will ever be as gorgeous as wood & steel from the old days.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Excellent!!
    “ Now I have dirty Harry’s revolver, semi auto pistol and bolt action rifle. If anyone has a nice harpoon for sale, hit me up.”
    But do you have his hair and mad “shoot house” skills?!?
    Great old m70 and collection!

I have a .450 Alaskan built on an old m71 Winchester.
    Load development with 400 gr. Barnes at 2300+ FPS were agony from the bench, but doable standing, as you mention.
    I do have plenty of hair, but I keep it shorter nowadays

The shooting skills I am still working on

Feedback Score
    Beautiful rifle! (handguns too). I can take the kick of those big bores but what hurts is the kick from the cost per round. I'm guessing about $2-$3 per round?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta-3 View Post
    Beautiful rifle! (handguns too). I can take the kick of those big bores but what hurts is the kick from the cost per round. I'm guessing about $2-$3 per round?
    I was lucky to buy a lot of vintage ammo pretty cheap from a private seller. Got one hundred rounds of .458 at $ 100 so $ 1 per round

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...80#post2921080

Feedback Score
    That thing would be crazy $$$ if it were a pre-‘64.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    A number of PH’s run low power, long(er) eye relief scopes (think 2X and even LPVs) and Aimpoint Dot Scopes on their Stopping Rifles/large bore bolt guns.
    A lot to be said for massive FOV, forgiving eye relief and ability to “thread the needle” with a large bore.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OLIAR15 View Post
    Now I have dirty Harry’s revolver, semi auto pistol and bolt action rifle. If anyone has a nice harpoon for sale, hit me up.
    You'll also need a M72A1 LAW to round out the collection.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    That's bad-ass...I love big-bores!

I got to fire a few rounds through a twin to your rifle back in the day. I was maybe 12-13. Wow...

Thanks for sharing. You have a really nice collection! I had the pleasure of spending a few days in Switzerland for work before COVID...Beautiful country, and everyone was super friendly. I hope to get back one of these days...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast