Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 38/357 and 44 lever guns 16"

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    Cool and they come in 16”

Thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I happen to like those quite a bit. I am concerned about longevity of a toggle link with magnum level .357 loads.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs103 View Post
    I happen to like those quite a bit. I am concerned about longevity of a toggle link with magnum level .357 loads.
    Howdy Chubbs, just so I educate myself with lever gun knowledge.... I googled your info and came across this..

http://www.leverguns.com/leverguns/togglelink.htm

is this what you meant?

which system or manufacture/model would you think is robust to handle .357 and .44 mag

My dad loaded some high end .44 mag that I dont want to shoot out of a handgun. maybe if I was younger... but pains in the wrist already.... dont need anything to flair that up.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    Howdy Chubbs, just so I educate myself with lever gun knowledge.... I googled your info and came across this..

http://www.leverguns.com/leverguns/togglelink.htm

is this what you meant?

which system or manufacture/model would you think is robust to handle .357 and .44 mag

My dad loaded some high end .44 mag that I dont want to shoot out of a handgun. maybe if I was younger... but pains in the wrist already.... dont need anything to flair that up.
    The 1886 and 1892 are the strongest "traditional" actions, but the Marlin 336 and 1894, Winchester 94, or a quality 1892 clone are all capable of shooting 44 magnum with no issues.

The "best" is the Browning B92, long out of production.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 12-05-20 at 19:58.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    The 1886 and 1892 are the strongest "traditional" actions, but the Marlin 336 and 1894, Winchester 94, or a quality 1892 clone are all capable of shooting 44 magnum with no issues.

The "best" is the Browning B92, long out of production.

Andy
    thanks for the info

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    This is a good read on the strength of pistol caliber lever guns:

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/pa...ltlevergun.htm

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'll answer with the caveat that I am not an expert. I am just a guy who likes lever action rifles and finds them multiplying in his safe.

Unfortunately, my 1873 experience is via research only. I have been tempted time and again by these beautiful rifles, but I keep coming to the conclusion that my needs are better met by a different action.

Personally, I am partial to the Marlin 1894 action. The Marlin actions have a pretty good reputation for strength. They come drilled and tapped for easy sight/optics options and eject from the side. Peep sights are my go-to option for lever guns. At some point around the late '80s Marlin stopped drilling and tapping the side of the receiver for sights like the Williams FP, Lyman 66, etc. There are still plenty of peep sight options on the newer guns that mount on top.

Don't be afraid of Marlins with the cross-bolt safety. While I am partial to the earlier guns, I have a .41 Mag 1894 with the safety. I typically only use it when unloading the rifle. You have the choice of using it, ignoring it, or installing a kit to replace it. I choose to ignore it.

We have to wait and see what the future holds for Marlin now that they belong to Ruger. It really looked like the Marlin line had gotten themselves straightened out when Remington went belly up. The early Remington guns have a bad reputation online, but I have never held one in my hands. I see plenty of .44 mag Marlins on the used market lately, but older .357 guns have been a little sparse. I have been seeing several of the ported, 16" .357 guns showing up for sale lately, but they are a bit spendy.

The Henry is a copy of the Marlin 336 design. I have one in .357. They are nice rifles. Most Henrys lack a side loading gate and load like a tube fed 22. The Henry is also pretty heavy for its size. My son loves shooting it due to the very mild recoil from medium-level magnum loads. The Henry was a gift from my wife and FIL for my .mil retirement. When my FIL was ordering it, he called Henry and explained the purpose of the gift and they hand selected the most beautifully figured wood for the gun you will find on a massed produced rifle.

I don't know if any of this helps.
    Last edited by Chubbs103; 12-06-20 at 10:49. Reason: corrected an error

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs103 View Post
    I'll answer with the caveat that I am not an expert. I am just a guy who likes lever action rifles and finds them multiplying in his safe.

Unfortunately, my 1873 experience is via research only. I have been tempted time and again by these beautiful rifles, but I keep coming to the conclusion that my needs are better met by a different action.

Personally, I am partial to the Marlin 1894 action. The Marlin actions have a pretty good reputation for strength. They come drilled and tapped for easy sight/optics options and eject from the side. Peep sights are my go-to option for lever guns. At some point around the late '80s Marlin stopped drilling and tapping the side of the receiver for sights like the Williams FP, Lyman 66, etc. There are still plenty of peep sight options on the newer guns that mount on top.

Don't be afraid of Marlins with the cross-bolt safety. While I am partial to the earlier guns, I have a .41 Mag 1894 with the safety. I typically only use it when unloading the rifle. You have the choice of using it, ignoring it, or installing a kit to replace it. I choose to ignore it.

We have to wait and see what the future holds for Marlin now that they belong to Ruger. It really looked like the Marlin line had gotten themselves straightened out when Remington went belly up. The early Remington guns have a bad reputation online, but I have never held one in my hands. I see plenty of .44 mag Marlins on the used market lately, but older .357 guns have been a little sparse. I have been seeing several of the ported, 16" .357 guns showing up for sale lately, but they are a bit spendy.

The Henry is a copy of the Marlin 336 design. I have one in .357. They are nice rifles. Most Henrys lack a side loading gate and load like a tube fed 22. The Henry is also pretty heavy for its size. My son loves shooting it due to the very mild recoil from medium-level magnum loads. The Henry was a gift from my wife and FIL for my .mil retirement. When my FIL was ordering it, he called Henry and explained the purpose of the gift and they hand selected the most beautifully figured wood for the gun you will find on a massed produced rifle.

I don't know if any of this helps.
    excellent info Chubbs.

looking at some of the gunbroker offerings....

I am guessing... but I can tell an older rifle. the JM stamping has a circle around it and very clean. There are some stamped JM that looks like a 6 year did, Not even and no circle around it. I am not impressed with that.

I wonder when 16" offerings came about?

I am looking for a "handy" lever gun and while I have a 20" 30-30 Winny... to me a 16" would be handier.
    Last edited by SW CQB 45; 12-06-20 at 11:30.

Feedback Score
    Henry has made some in the past, and it sounds like they are going to switch over to a "hybrid". Side loading gate with the tube mag.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I've been thinking of a Uberti 1873 clone in 357
    https://www.uberti-usa.com/1873-rifle-and-carbine
    I like but went through several Google pages without finding one in stock.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast