Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 38/357 and 44 lever guns 16"

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    Matemike

Very good info. Thanks

When you say JM, I am assuming pre Remington Marlin?

Where exactly is the JM stamps and is it in the same spot on every barrel?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You are correct on the JM. It will be stamped on the left side of the barrel where it meets the receiver.

I personally like .357 in a lever gun. I have a .357 Henry that my wife and FIL gave me as a retirement gift. It is considerably heavier than a Marlin 1894. Recoil with full power rounds in a .41 Mag or .44 Mag Marlin (I have a .41) is stout. Recoil through the .357 Henry is nearly at rimfire levels.

Older Marlins are hit or miss with cast bullet accuracy. Jacket bullets are usually not a problem. My .41 definitely prefers jacketed bullets, but will shoot cast well enough if the bearing surface is long enough.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    Matemike

Very good info. Thanks

When you say JM, I am assuming pre Remington Marlin?

Where exactly is the JM stamps and is it in the same spot on every barrel?

Thanks
    JM stamp will be on the left side of the barrel just forward of the receiver and above the handguard.

Andy

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    Another Marlin JM question(s).

I dont know the date/year when Remmy took over Marlin, but I really like this lever gun (1894 CSBL)

Will there be any "JM" marked 1894 CSBL or did that production start when Remmy was driving?

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever...odel-1894-csbl

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Another Marlin JM question(s).

I dont know the date/year when Remmy took over Marlin, but I really like this lever gun (1894 CSBL)

Will there be any "JM" marked 1894 CSBL or did that production start when Remmy was driving?

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever...odel-1894-csbl
    Remington purchased Marlin in 2007 and closed the original factory in 2010.

I'm certain there are no JM stamped CSBLs.

Andy

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Remington purchased Marlin in 2007 and closed the original factory in 2010.

I'm certain there are no JM stamped CSBLs.

Andy
    Dawggonit. Oh well, and thanks for the info.

My goal is to have a handy 16" .357 and .44 with the option to mount a RDS.

From a revolver shooter .357mag to .38spl and .44mag to .44spl is easily done.....

does that present problems with lever guns?

Do the specials need to be "loaded" long to work in a chamber for the longer rounds?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Dawggonit. Oh well, and thanks for the info.

My goal is to have a handy 16" .357 and .44 with the option to mount a RDS.

From a revolver shooter .357mag to .38spl and .44mag to .44spl is easily done.....

does that present problems with lever guns?

Do the specials need to be "loaded" long to work in a chamber for the longer rounds?
    Not being stamped JM does not mean it's junk. The Marlin and Henry levers are both simple to mount optics on.

You should not need to load the specials long, but some guns are fussy. My Rossi 92 will not run specials, despite having a cartridge stop.

Andy

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Not being stamped JM does not mean it's junk. The Marlin and Henry levers are both simple to mount optics on.

You should not need to load the specials long, but some guns are fussy. My Rossi 92 will not run specials, despite having a cartridge stop.

Andy
    thanks for the info.

Now the search begins.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I have a Winchester Trapper 16" lever action in .357 that shoots really well. I will echo what some others have said. You can usually get them to run well with either 357 or 38, but they seem to have troubles with trying to handle both.

Mine eats 158-grain 357 Magnum Speer Gold Dots like Rosie O'Donnell mows down a Chinese buffet. If it was not such a good collector's piece, I'd have the barrel tapped for a can and mount an Aimpoint Micro on it.

I'm leaning towards a a Henry for that, or a Marlin if Ruger gets them tuned up and others have mentioned.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I have a Winchester Trapper 16" lever action in .357 that shoots really well. I will echo what some others have said. You can usually get them to run well with either 357 or 38, but they seem to have troubles with trying to handle both.

Mine eats 158-grain 357 Magnum Speer Gold Dots like Rosie O'Donnell mows down a Chinese buffet. If it was not such a good collector's piece, I'd have the barrel tapped for a can and mount an Aimpoint Micro on it.

I'm leaning towards a a Henry for that, or a Marlin if Ruger gets them tuned up and others have mentioned.
    thanks for the info. I might do a couple of gun shows but hoping Ruger gets on board with lever guns.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast