Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 38/357 and 44 lever guns 16"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    I like but went through several Google pages without finding one in stock.
    There is a Taylor and Company Model 1873 .357 Mag. lever gun with a 20" octagon barrel for sale in a local gun shop. It has a color case hardened receiver and I am tempted to add it to my lever action collection.

The way I get .357 Mag./.38 Special lever action rifles to run 100 % is to fire .357 Magnum factory rounds or reloads using nothing but .357 Magnum brass.
    Last edited by T2C; 12-06-20 at 21:10.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My favorite .357 lever gun- I have several, is a factory Marlin made 16" ported model. Very rare. Mine has an Ashley rear sight, love that little gun. A close second is my Browning (Miroku) 92, I had one of the best "cowboy action" gunsmiths in the country slick it up for me- it almost cycles itself! Got a Rossi 92 somewhere around here, old gun- late 80s?, pre safety...was kinda ratty when I got it but it was cheap, again, sent it to the Cowboy Smith and it's a real treasure now.

Some of my favorite .357's though aren't even lever guns! I have an IMI Timberwolf and a Ruger 77, both super cool guns. The Ruger I SBR'd and run a suppressor on....DEADLY QUIET! The Timberwolf, well, just too cool...
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    I have an almost too nice Marlin 1894 .357, found it from another forum where a guy had seen it in a gun shop but already had one and passed on it. Asked where and phone number. Called the shop and asked if they'd ship to CA(used to live there) then asked how much. Got it for $300 plus shipping. Sweet deal.
    Also have two(2) IMI Timberwolves in .357 as well.
    Last edited by easy; 12-18-20 at 17:38.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by easy View Post
    I have an almost too nice Marlin 1894 .357, found it from another forum where a guy had seen it in a gun shop but already had one and passed on it. Asked where and phone number. Called the shop and asked if they'd ship to CA(used to live there) then asked how much. Got it for $300 plus shipping. Sweet deal.
    Also have two(2) IMI Timberwolves in .35 as well.
    The Timberwolves are neat little rifles. I have the .357 set up with a red dot and a 1-4x "turkey" scope on the .44. Killed a bunch of hogs with them while out "woods bumming"....
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    Love my Henry X in .357. Picked up a bunch of Federal's HammerDown...need to get it chronographed.

Feedback Score
    Unless society goes tits up I'm gonna end up with a 357 lever fairly soon. I don't have a need, but I do have a want. I'll probably wait and see what Marlin puts out under Ruger ownership and then decide on a path. Hmm, we got Marlins, Remlins, and now what ? Rulins?
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    Or Ruglin’s. HA!

I purchased a Henry .44. Haven’t shot it yet. Work and weather have been tough lately

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well, I just bought a Marlin .357 to go with my Henry. I'll let you know how it shoots after it gets done with its wait period.

I've been doing some experimentation with lighter (170 gr JHC) bullets in my .41 Mag Marlin. So far I haven't been impressed with the accuracy. This is complicated by them shooting higher than I adjust for without a taller front sight. I am getting just under 2100fps w/ H110. I'm going to try moving them a little slower with some Unique and see if things improve. The rifle typically shoots 210gr jacketed really well. It even does pretty well with 180 Barnes XPB. Cast lead is mediocre, but that is a common issue with Micro-groove barrels.
    Last edited by Chubbs103; 02-17-21 at 21:05. Reason: spelling is hard

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs103 View Post
    Well, I just bought a Marlin .357 to go with my Henry. I'll let you know how it shoots after it gets done with its wait period.

I've been doing some experimentation with lighter (170 gr JHC) bullets in my .41 Mag Marlin. So far I haven't been impressed with the accuracy. This is complicated by them shooting higher than I adjust for without a taller front sight. I am getting just under 2100fps w/ H110. I'm going to try moving them a little slower with some Unique and see if things improve. The rifle typically shoots 210gr jacketed really well. It even does pretty well with 180 Barnes XPB. Cast lead is mediocre, but that is a common issue with Micro-groove barrels.
    I've found that the bores on the Marlin lever action rifles are oversized. The accuracy of factory ammunition was acceptable, but reloads required the use of oversize bullets. I slugged the barrel on my Marlin 1894CB and found that the bore was .385" in diameter. I had to load .359" diameter lead bullets to get my 1894CB to shoot well. If I could have found .360" diameter bullets, that would have been preferred.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Anybody have any experience with a 336 in 44 magnum from the early 1960’s?&

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast