Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig Classic Experts—P228R

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Sig Classic Experts—P228R

I’ve had kind of an oddball Sig for years, but lately I’ve been curious to try and figure out its history. Is a Made in Germany marked P228 with a rail. It has a 341 prefix serial number and doe not have any German proof marks on the frame or the barrel. I bought it back in 2010 because I thought it was cool, but it’s the only one of its type I’ve seen—other railed P228s have the M11 markings and some are actually P229 frames as I understand it.

One rumor I’ve heard is these were overrun made in Germany parts that were assembled in the USA for commercial sale.

This isn’t a gun I ever plan on selling because it’s got some sentimental value to me, because my one and only competition win came with it. But I shoot a fair amount and hang out with a lot of gun guys and girls, and it’s a bit odd no one I know has one like mine. Does anyone have any thoughts?
    7EE6FF90-9E41-41D8-AFC6-DF925BEBCD52.jpeg
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    So yours is not the same as a P229 frame?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Deleted.
    Last edited by georgeib; 02-13-22 at 22:16.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gsd2053 View Post
    So yours is not the same as a P229 frame?
    I’ll be honest and say I’m not a Sig nerd enough to fully appreciate the difference. I looked up the serial number of mine and per Sig it is a “P228R” made in 2009. Is a P228R just rebranded 229?
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TBAR_94 View Post
    I’ll be honest and say I’m not a Sig nerd enough to fully appreciate the difference. I looked up the serial number of mine and per Sig it is a “P228R” made in 2009. Is a P228R just rebranded 229?
    The main differences between the two is that the 229 moved to a billet machined slide, whereas the 228 has a stamped slide. And the 229 has a railed frame.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Yes the P228 and P229 frames should all be the same. I had a P228 and a P229.

I have never had a R frame. However they should be identical.

I dont know how many P228R's are out there. But P228 were normally not railed and then DISCONTINUED. So your probably right. It is some what of a rare sig. And who knows. Could bring a nice premium one day.

Feedback Score
    I believe the M11's resemble a 228 slide in appearance. However the 228 was a stamped slide.

I am not sure but I think the M11 is milled like the 229. Only with 228 exterior dimensions.

I may be wrong. Anyone know for sure?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I used to know, sometimes there can be magwell differences between the P229 frames (9vs40).

The military M11 was a P228 in all general respects, with a folded steel slide / pinned breechblock. Might have had some internal / coating differences but that is generally it.

SIG has pushed their SIG M11A for awhile, which is just a 9MM P229 with the M11A or something markings.

SIG did release some M11Bs which were SIG M11s but returned for CPO purposes and given the "B". Those are highly desirable to collectors as they are legit military M11s that made it to the civie realm.

The M11 Railed never entered service to my knowledge and most have the M11 marked out with a barcode.

You have a nice SIG, it's not unusual or rare IMO; SIG often threw together whatever they had on hand and rumint would say "Contract Overrrun" or "Unmentionable Govt entity", but it's all bull$hit IMO.
    Last edited by RHINOWSO; 02-14-22 at 09:12.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the info. I don't think I'm breaking any news by saying made in Germany Sigs are great guns, and I generally like oddball pieces so I'll stay happy with this one. Mine doesn't have any M11 markings, so I guess it's just one of the handful of P228Rs that hit the market back then. Like I said, I've got no plans to sell it, it's been a stalwart carry and HD pistol for a decade, and I don't think I can afford enough ammo to wear it out so I'll keep shooting it. Knowing it's an "ordinary" Sig makes me feel better about messing with it--the tritium is starting to fade, so I was going to swap the sights out sometime soon. I'm tempted to drop an SRT in at as well, though I don't really have any complaints about the trigger as it is right now so I may just leave it be.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tp...3810077763/p/1

Above link is a very long and detailed 228 thread on Sig Forum. The OP, 12131, is a 228 collector and very knowledgeable on them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast