Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How are Walther PPQ’s holding up long term?

Feedback Score

How are Walther PPQ’s holding up long term?

I have an opportunity to buy a new PPQ 9MM for a pretty good deal.

Looking for inputs from folks who’ve owned one for a while and how it shoots and is holding up. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If there were widespread failures and issues you wouldn't need to ask the question.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I haven't heard of any issues. Of the three I've had, they've all held up well.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    If there were widespread failures and issues you wouldn't need to ask the question.
    Point taken...and I’m not expecting to find anything really major.

Just looking for trends like “after 3K rounds I had to replace XYZ” or “finish wears fast in kydex”, etc.

Im pretty much a Glock guy, and while I love their simplicity, they have their inherent issues. But looking to branch out a bit...and the price I’m getting is attractive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BuzzinSATX; 11-13-20 at 15:22.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Mine has been fine, and the used 5” I picked up has been as well. I did notice that the plastic front sight on the 5” has some marks; looks like from a holster. The finish will wear in kydex, like anything else. I can’t compare directly.

A few years ago, the Walther forums were alight with barrels being worn prematurely, but my PPQ is far from new and hasn’t had any problems.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

They are good to go. I love the PPQ. I need to shoot mine more. But they are relegated to home duty. It’s the pistol I have at the bedside, my living room, and upstairs home office self defense guns. I have 4. The bedroom gun is a 5” gun. The other are the 4” variety.

The criticism is that there aren’t as much aftermarket support for these. IMHO, there is not really a need for it. They make aftermarket sights and that is about all that you need. My Q5 match had an apex trigger...that I recently installed.

The only issue I ran into is that I had a couple of WWB rounds that won’t fit into the chamber. Haven’t seen it with any other ammo.

If it is less than $400, buy it. I would buy another...maybe I need a ‘bathroom’ gun. Who am I kidding? I have one already!

Last edited by Sikiguya; 11-13-20 at 15:13.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the responses so far. It’s just that so much can be found on Glock, Sig, and M&P. Caniks are all the rage and from much that I’ve read, a PPQ clone? I don’t know how accurate that is.

But GT Distributors just started carrying them with a great MIL-LEO price and I figured since I’ve already burned up my Blue Lable quota for the year, that I’d add a PPQ

https://www.gtdist.com/walther-ppq-m...r-pricing.html

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    My older Walther P99 and PPQ Classic have stepped chambers that can be tight. I try to brush out the chambers and boresnake the barrel every 300 rounds or so. I had a class in the rain and started getting return to battery problems at about the 400 round mark. Brushing out the chamber and lubing the slide rails fixed it.

Another thing that seemed common was on the M2, some people felt the magazine release button was a bit light and wanted a stiffer spring in it. Haven’t seen many reports about it recently so maybe Walther changed the spring on newer guns.

Feedback Score
    I have 2 S&W imported M1s. One has over 5k the other I guess is less than 2K. Very accurate pistol with good ergos and great triggers.
    I have only had 2 issues:
    On the factory 15rnd mags it’s possible to load them in a way that they will bind and only load 14rnds. The mag will FTF about a 1/3 of the way through. I have have this happen on all 4 of the mags that came with the gun multiple times. It will look like 15 is in the mag on the window on the mag, but actually only 14. As long as you count as loading you will catch this and it’s not an issue.
    On the 5k gun I have mepro night sites and the slotted pin that is spring loaded to hold in the rear site broke. Called, mailed the old part win and was replaced for free.
    I did carry one for a while, and it is very manage in cooler weather, but like a smaller carry gun. As a home defense pistol I don’t like it because of the very light trigger. Being a slow waker, a DA/SA such as a Sig 226 is preferable to me vs a much lighter, sensitive trigger.
    Last edited by MAUSER202; 11-14-20 at 18:34.

Feedback Score
    Had mine for 7 years or thereabouts....not a single issue. I have fired well over 1000 rounds through it per year. Not a single misfeed, stovepipe, light strike, squib or any other issue. Best decision I ever made selling the M&P and picking up the Q

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast