Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How are Walther PPQ’s holding up long term?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have both the Q5 match and the Q4 tac, both have roughly 1000 rounds through them. No issues, cycles every kind of ammo I've used. 115 grain crap to 147gr hollow points. Love em!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've run ~5K through mine. Oil, boresnake and keep grit out of the mags. Brass marks on the slide. WWB, Wolf, shit load of Federal. Buddy shoots competition in MN with his. Shoots ~4x a week, averaging 500-800 rounds each week. He's replaced pins, some of which have started walking out after years. Springs a few times a year. He's cracked a locking block and I believe had shot out one barrel. Mags held up fine, just need to be cleaned.

Feedback Score
    I`ve got two M1 `s . One has a little over 3000 rounds through it , several schools and a bunch of dry fire with zero issues . The other M1 is a "play" gun ..... I try different things from an Apex trigger to different sights , RSA etc . Also zero problems with a little over 1500 rounds through that one . The biggest "fault" with the gun is the grip texture , which sucks in my opinion . Corrected that with the Talon intermediate texture overlays which are ( for me ) much better than their standards and easier on the hands and skin when I carry concealed than the sandpaper ones .

Feedback Score
    I have a 9mm with a factory threaded barrel and a 40S&W. Both have great triggers. The 9mm runs 100%. The 40S&W isn't reliable. There are chatter marks on the underside of the barrel caused by the recoil spring assembly binding on it. Walther customer service is horrible. They blame factory loaded ammo that runs 100% in my other guns and meets the SAAMI requirements as described in their manual. The third time I sent it back, they actually tried to charge me for looking at it. I refused and it eventually showed back up at my house several months later. Now I have a pistol that they won't fix, is of no use to me because I can't bet my life on it and I won't sell because I won't unload an unreliable pistol on a fellow gun owner. Odds are if you buy a 9mm, it will be just fine. If anything major happens, they won't own the problem.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I bought my PPQ the first year they came out & carried it everyday until I got a Sig P365. I've put a few thousand rounds through it without malfunction.

Mine, if dropped, it will release the striker, but cannot not fire. The striker is physically blocked from striking the primer until the trigger is pressed. I believe Walther made changes to the newer PPQs to eliminate or at least make it harder for the striker to release when dropped.

Keep an eye on the action spring. Mine lost spring rate after being shot a few thousand rounds. I replaced it with a "recoil reduction" spring & spring guide sold by Sprinco. It doesn't reduce recoil, but it does soften it. But it works well. I don't use reduced target loads in my PPQ.

Action spring tension is critical on the PPQ (and I think striker fired pistols in general) because the action spring has to counteract striker spring tension and keep the slide in battery. When action spring tension is lost, slide velocity increases.

There have been reports of factory sights departing PPQs for unknown destinations. Mine have never come loose. The sights are plastic and show wear. The corners of my front sight are rounded.

Recoil is considered snappy, but I have no trouble with it. In fact, I like it because the slide returns to battery quickly. I find the cadence of some other too slow in comparison.

I agree the texture isn't as grippy as it should be. I've applied some skateboard tape to mine.

I'm very satisfied with my PPQ. Other than the action spring, sights and grip texture, I can't think of anything I'd change. It balances well in the hand from full mag to empty and it's easy to shoot. It's shape is easy to carry concealed. Of all the striker fired pistols I've shot, the PPQ is my favorite.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Thanks again for all the responses! Some good info and things I’ll look out for.

Like I said earlier, I’m pretty much a Glock guy, for better or worse. This was just a “what the heck” purchase since I’ve got a lot of ammo money built up and decided to burn some.

I figure if it doesn’t work out, I can get pretty much all my money back from it.

Take care, and thanks again,

Buzz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Extensively used PPQ m1 and p99AS m1. (Largely the same pistol, the PPQ is pretty much just a trigger variant of the p99 minus the decocker)

Both are solid even with cheap plinking ammo.

In my son's we even shot some steel case though we normally use brass case.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    And for what it's worth, I laugh at the concept of the PPQ and p99 as being snappy.

My largely non-shooting wife does very well with the walthers and enjoys shooting them out of all of our pistols.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    And for what it's worth, I laugh at the concept of the PPQ and p99 as being snappy.
    Yes, but when I shoot the Walthers back-to-back with equivalent Smith & Wesson M&P or Glock, I fully understand where this perception comes from.

Feedback Score
    My dad and I shared a PPQ M2 over 2000 rounds. Zero malfunctions.

Why did I sell it? Like you, I shoot Glocks (and 1911s) mainly. With a Glock 19 (Gen 3 and 5), I can shoot faster on IDPA targets/drills than I can with the PPQ. The slide’s center of gravity is lower on the Glock much like a CZ or 1911. The PPQ possesses more muzzle flip during recoil to the greater bulk (size and weight) of the slide (think Sig P200s/320 or HK). I think the PPQ’s barrel is definitely more accurate (on par with the VP9). However, for conceal carry and home defense, I have no reason to ditch my Glock 19s for a PPQ. Made no sense to me in terms of performance or costs (holsters, mags, etc).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast