Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me build a basic belt setup

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Help me build a basic belt setup

Ive been reading through threads and looking at pictures but really just don't know where to start.

I want to put together a nice basic "battle belt". Primary use will be in some classes I am signed up for in the fall, but it would obviously be available for HD if need be.

My basic idea is a belt with holster and mag pouches. Im thinking 2 pistol mags + 2 rifle mags...but open to any/all suggestions.

As far as a budget - I'm really a buy once/cry once kind of guy and when I buy something I prefer higher quality equipment that will last, so dont be afraid to suggest manufacturers on the higher end of the price scale. That said, I'm no billionaire so anything with a good price point for the quality is appreciated.

I like the looks of the Blue Alpha belts, but suggestions such as 1.75" vs 2"? MOLLE vs the standard? What are preferable ways to attach the various equipment to the belt itself?

Frankly, Im just overwhelmed by the plethora of information/options and am just looking for a starting point - just a nice quality basic setup to use in classes that can be expanded upon as I learn what works and doesnt work.

Feedback Score
    When building out gear, the #1 question to keep in your head is what is the mission purpose. I'm setting up my first belt as well and I'm doing the 2 Pistol 2 Rifle too. Plus an IFAK, Dump pouch and a Tourniquet pouch. Me personally, I'm not a fan of these thin 2 piece belt setups, or the massive thick padded belts. I'm planning on picking up a T Rex Arms Orion Belt. It has a rubber foam laminate on the outside to help stick to you. It's a quick belt to through on regardless of what you're wearing.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Personal preferrence comes into play, and sometimes you have to try different things to locate your own sweet spot, like with holsters.

You've got your mission down, that's a start. Padded belts will be more comfortable for all day. Some folks dont like em.

For me, mission is similar to yours. I'm very happy with:

BFG SOC-C. Love this thing. Very comfortable, highly adjustable. Has suspenders if need be. I don't use 'em, but they're there if I want to load it down, or when wearing it over ECWCS. Nice to have the option.

BFG double pistol mag pouch
    Tac Tailor single rifle mag pouch. BGF single pouch on top of it, in case I wanna double up
    Knock-off Max Roly Poly style dumper
    Tac Tailor double rifle mag pouch on the other side
    Safariland ALS on a mid-ride UBL

ATS, SKD, Esstac, etc., lot of good brands out there to choose from.

Some people like the ones that're an inner velcro pants belt that mates up with the outer bat belt. Said to keep it from shifting around. Me, I dont mind the shifting, and prefer to be able to don/doff quick.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I put together a Minimalist Belt and Belt Pad from Wilder Tactical so I could work all day in and office Khaki's then put the belt on to compete in IDPA and one of the local ranges at night. Simple holster, 2 mag pouches and a flashlight holder on a belt with a cobra buckle. Just take out of my bag put on, IDPA for a couple hours, then take off and put in my bag. Slim not bulky and easy to setup. Obviously a lot of choices out there, going to set up another for pistol/rifle combo for classes (Holster, 2 Pistol Mag pouches, 2 rifle mag pouches), just haven't found a class yet, so haven't put it together.

FWIW I thought about putting together a belt for a long long time. The choices are almost overwhelming and there is a ton of great stuff out there, but finding the right combo wasn't easy. I looked at hundreds of pictures and videos, read tons of articles and reviews including here. Good luck.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Speaking from very limited and non-duty experience.

I also have a BlueForceGear SOCC padded belt with suspenders, also do not use suspenders when “dry firing” AKA LARPing in the house. It is bulky, but I set it up that way intentionally as a heavy, things-are-bad setup that would probably be used with a plate carrier or chest rig:
    two pistol ITW Fastmag, two rifle ITW Fastmag, bulky dump patch, low Safariland UBL hookup, two tourniquets (one comes off when adding BFG Ten speed pouch with smoke grenade), fixed blade knife, and double 40mm pouch for double pepper spray grenades.

My preferred setup currently is a dual belt setup that I’ve actually used in a multi-day class at this point. Very nice to be able to peel off the weapon components and walk around outside the range/car while still having the needed items nearby. I keep this by my bed, and I have an extra 1.5” belt to be used when desired:
    RDR molle 1.75”, DARA holster, Esstac 2+1, NAR tourniquet and holder, AWS small dump pouch.

If I only had one, I would have the RDR setup. Just got one for my wife, will have a Safariland UBL, Esstac 2+1, and Dark Angel med kit (she actually knows how to use).
    I also have an extra couple Esstac single AR mag and dual pistol holders with belt loops to be used as necessary with either RDR belts and an extra Blackhawk slick belt I have in a box.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    To add, RDR has a fairly lengthy wait currently, but $110 is hard to beat for a good dual belt setup.
    If you want something custom, Ricon Tactical is out of Poland and does cool stuff. Uniquely enough, his store is on Etsy. You can see his work on Instagram.

Feedback Score
    I’ve had the padded war belts and a couple of others. I’ve been using the Esstac shooters belt right now. It’s stiff enough, pretty affordable and is comfortable. I use two of their pistol and two of their rifle mag pouches and and I like them as well. I use a low ride Safariland holster with a single leg strap. Give them a good look. You can throw on a small med kit and your good to go. Padded war belts are comfortable for when you’re wearing a lot of equipment on your belt. But generally speaking I don’t see a need to overload a belt.

There are lots of other good options out there. But even if you go with a different belt I’d use the Esstac Kywi mag pouches.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I really like the esstac kywi pouches - what's the deal with the WTF straps vs Malice clips vs belt loops? Any input on the various attachment types?

Feedback Score
    The WTF straps are thinner and a little easier to weave through molle gear. I have them on my plate carrier and they seem to be holding up fine. Whereas I guess you could, I wouldn’t use the WTF straps to mount to a belt. The plastic belt loops work just fine. They slide around a little bit which doesn’t bother me but you can always throw a little patch of sticky Velcro on the loops to hold them in place.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Well step 1, I ordered a belt. Went with a Blue Alpha 1.75" double belt rig with molle and the low pro/EDC inner belt...all in coyote brown.

Leaning pretty heavily towards esstac pouches.

As for holster, seems safariland is pretty standard? It seems a lot of guys use holsters that drop the pistol down a bit...I assume that's for clearance when wearing a chest rig? I have zero intentions of wearing a rig so is there any reason I wouldn't want the holster directly on the belt versus dropped down?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast