Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me build a basic belt setup

Feedback Score
    OP mentioned Blue Force. Well, only you can tell if you'll like it or not because we all end up liking different things, but that's what I have, and I like mine. I went with the High Speed Soft Tacos for pouches (2 each pistol/rifle) because the expandability means no new pouches to by if I change weapons. I don't mind doing the "buy once cry once" thing if I can swing it, but if I do... I want to make sure I keep the stuff. I'm also a bit of a cheap bastard. My holster is an ALS, but it mounts on a modified Blackhawk drop down left over... so I wouldn't have to buy a new one. Now it's up higher having no straps for the drop down. It mounts directly to the belt, and uses only the lower leg strap. Still, it's a bit lower than a new direct belt mounted one. That's good for my shoulder that doesn't like to go up high on the draw stroke. As a result, I'm faster with this, than my daily CC holster, because that has to be RIGHT ON my belt. I did spring for their QD system, so swapping to a different holster is only a matter of seconds. I can go from Glock 17 with a TLR1, to a 1911... Click, swap, click. Can't remember the name of my TQ holder.
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 11-16-20 at 21:59.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    I run a Blue Alpha and the only thing I don't like is the cobra buckle. I think they are dumb tacti-cool items for belts. Massive overkill that does nothing but get stupid cold in the winter and needlessly destroys your rifle's finish all year long. I don't mind wear on my rifle at all and I beat on it good but the buckle just chews it up for no reason. I would much rather a plastic fast buckle.

I run a dual KYWI pistol mag a single KYWI rifle mag, a ZAK tools tactical key ring holder. The key ring holder is more for the drop leg when I decide to run it. My duty belt has no room for rifle mags or a decent IFAK so I run a drop leg when its called for. The Zak tools key ring holder doubles to hold my car keys on shift and also a super fast way to attach that drop leg. A simple Safariland UBL and QLS to drop on my duty holster when using the belt. No dump bags or all that other cool stuff. The belt is for training and that is about it.

Untitled.png

I have zero expectations of putting on a belt or anything come a home invasion. You just don't have time. Grab a gun and go. You will be lucky to be able to have a second mag if it isn't already attached to the weapons platform.

If I have enough warning that I have time for a belt....odds are I am gonna have enough time to gather persons, evac, lay off, call the police and watch the POS's get surrounded and taken down. The best gun fight is the one that didn't happen. Generally speaking it's gonna be one or the other. I have been to enough homicides and home invasions to know that 99.9% of the time it is the criminal element taking care of themselves and your avg citizen has zero to truly be worried about. These events tend to be to either super fast, sudden, and unexpected or you know it is coming and can prep for it.

Others situations might be different and or may feel different. To each their own.
    Last edited by TomPenguin5145; 11-17-20 at 15:26.

Feedback Score
    I have some guys that wear the cobra buckle at the 6 o’clock position in their back. That way it doesn’t take up valuable real estate in the front. Or scratch up your rifle.

And yes, if you’re not running body armor or chest rig no need to go for lower holster. And if you have multiple pistols that you like to run you can do the Safariland QLS system which lets you swap holsters without taking everything off your belt to do so. Now I feel like I’m sounding like a Safariland commercial 🤦🏻
    Last edited by El Vaquero; 11-17-20 at 21:21.

Feedback Score
    Not sure why the Cobra buckle is so popular. It works good though, and is strong as hell. It may be bulky AF, but I just like that is snaps on instantly with a quick click. Don't really care that it will hold 3,000 pounds or whatever. I ain't that fat, even if I was gonna use the damn thing to repel with, and I ain't. Goes on fast, stays there, comes off easy... Just bulky is all. I like that QLS system. I even got an extra mount so I can snap a holster in my Jeep for times when I'm not wearing one, or for an extra... Haven't gotten to the point in the build where I'm ready to mount it yet though...
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 11-17-20 at 21:17.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    As far as holsters, as I said I like a Safariland ALS, and yes they are one of the "standards" for good reasons. Excellent retention, very fast to draw from, light, well-built.

Yes, main reason for lowering is to clear other stuff on your body. If you won't be wearing that other stuff ever, no real need. A little low is nice for a smooth fast draw though. For me the mid ride UBL loop is the sweet spot.

With the ALS, you can use a non-stop, mid-drop (like mine), or low-drop, with or without leg strap, your preferrence.

And they now make one with slightly oblong mounting holes, to adjust the cant of the holster. This can also be done with the QLS system.

Me, I long ago got sick of having a gun strapped to my leg, even when running it as high as possible. The ALS at mid-rise is perfection, for me...no strap, it's out of the way, and provides an excellent draw.

Feedback Score
    Yeah. I run Mid-Rise UBLs....If you are gonna be open carrying, you might as well make it more comfortable...it also gets the holster AWAY from your body which allows two things. I run mine with the ALS, SLS and the hood thingy...all that stuff allows me to tuck the jacket between the UBL and the holser but still have full access to the SLS and ALS and zero chance of stuffing the jacket into the holster when I reholster.

Jackets in the winter and not getting clothing jammed into the holster when you reholster. I see a lot of guy pointing their firearms inwards at themselves when reholstersing with OWB holsters that are tight to their bodies. Makes me feel weird and I am just waiting for the ND into the hip.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yeah that's a NO-GO, should be using the thumb.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by El Vaquero View Post
    I have some guys that wear the cobra buckle at the 6 o’clock position in their back. That way it doesn’t take up valuable real estate in the front. Or scratch up your rifle.

And yes, if you’re not running body armor or chest rig no need to go for lower holster. And if you have multiple pistols that you like to run you can do the Safariland QLS system which lets you swap holsters without taking everything off your belt to do so. Now I feel like I’m sounding like a Safariland commercial ����
    Wearing the buckle in back is a clever idea. First blush I would be worried about bumping it and releasing the buckle but after thinking about it that's an extremely unlikely scenario, right? I don't have any experience (yet) with Cobra buckles but I expect they need released on two points.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Esstac has a black Friday special going on for a double pistol kywi + single rifle kywi so I snagged that...just need to work on a holster now!

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    One advantage to being big is having more room for gear on your belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast