Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Tanker" Garand

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    From strictly a visual standpoint, no. You can't tell until you start digging into it. With the newer barrels, that's the only part you need to change to covert the rifle. Pull off the old one and install and head space the new one. No other changes are needed. I have heard some use adjustable gas plugs when using hotter rounds, but I have no direct experience with that. I use the same surplus ammo in my M1 that I use in my FAL's.

If it's a "newer" rebarreled conversion, it should be marked .308 or 7.62x51 under the op rod and visible when pulled back. I have heard that some of the actual US Navy 308 conversions were not marked on the barrel and know some earlier conversions were a sleeve inserted into a 30-06 chamber.

The spacer I mentioned that many use is an optional part that prevents someone accidentally from inserting a 30-06 clip into the rifle.

Here is a pic of mine. You can see the white plastic just before the feed ramp.

I also had the rear sight cover engraved ".308" on it. The pic above is before I installed the engraved part.
    Last edited by mrbieler; 12-03-20 at 19:13.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Regarding the M1 in .30-06 and the criticality of shooting only "just the right" ammo in it. I just read something that poo-pooed that whole business about bent op rods. I've always found that hard to reconcile with the fact that the gas port on these things is only 1 1/2" back from the muzzle and the gas cylinder is very high-volume compared to the AR15. It seems logical that of all gas systems this one ought to be less sensitive to burn rates.....? For an article I talked to one of the CMP M1 guys and he said bent op rods are not unknown but they are not common. What he has seen more of is cracked receivers but tying that to not using IMR4895.... can't really be done.

I just remembered where I read this, it was in the Garand Collector's Journal. That ought to credible maybe not as fact but as a legit second opinion on the matter, I'd think.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    Regarding the M1 in .30-06 and the criticality of shooting only "just the right" ammo in it. I just read something that poo-pooed that whole business about bent op rods. I've always found that hard to reconcile with the fact that the gas port on these things is only 1 1/2" back from the muzzle and the gas cylinder is very high-volume compared to the AR15. It seems logical that of all gas systems this one ought to be less sensitive to burn rates.....? For an article I talked tom one of the CMP M1 guys and he said bent op rods are not unknown but theya re not common. What he has seen more of is cracked receivers but tying that to not using IMR4895.... can't really be done.

I just remembered where I read this, it was in the Garand Collector's Journal. That ought to credible maybe not as fact but as a legit second opinion on the matter, I'd think.
    More of an issue with M14/M1A rifles because of the tappet-piston arrangement. The M1, as you pointed out, bleeds directly to the end of the op rod while the M14 has a piston (which cuts off more gas once it moves a certain distance) that hits the end of the op rod.

M1:

M14:

Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbieler View Post
    Few years back I picked up a CMP .308 Special with a Criterion barrel. Love it. The Garand is .308 is very nice to shoot.

~SNIP~

.308 on the top. 30-06 down below.
    Given the ballistics are awfully close between military 30-06 vs 308, what difference do you notice when it's fired? I honestly thought the only real advantage of the 308 was ammunition price/availability.

Great looking rifles!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Given the ballistics are awfully close between military 30-06 vs 308, what difference do you notice when it's fired? I honestly thought the only real advantage of the 308 was ammunition price/availability.

Great looking rifles!
    I find it's softer to shoot. I'm told .308 can get more accuracy out of the Garand, but I'm a mid level shooter at best and my eyes are not a young mans anymore. Ammo is/was a big factor too as I have a couple of FAL's. I have a few ammo can's of greek 30-06, but I have a lot more 308. Looking to the future, 308 will be much easier to get than 30-06 and the Garand reloading options for 308 are, I'm told, more flexible than 30-06. I am not reloader.
    Last edited by mrbieler; 12-05-20 at 13:35.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I got a deal on two at the "Rod and Gun Club." years ago.
    I had a pretty good idea of what I was looking at so I bought two.
    Sent them to Schuff's for re-barrel to 7.62 and had one made in to a "Tanker". Sent it back to him for a tune up and had a Scout Mount put on it.
    Kool Kid Stuff

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...the-real-story

Nobody mentioned this article in the latest Rifleman, I found it online You guys are kinda worrying me.......
    Why do I feel like this "carbine" model wouldn't have been pleasant to shoot?

Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    Why do I feel like this "carbine" model wouldn't have been pleasant to shoot?

I am sure it was. Just put your chin right,.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12