Thread: "Tanker" Garand

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    From strictly a visual standpoint, no. You can't tell until you start digging into it. With the newer barrels, that's the only part you need to change to covert the rifle. Pull off the old one and install and head space the new one. No other changes are needed. I have heard some use adjustable gas plugs when using hotter rounds, but I have no direct experience with that. I use the same surplus ammo in my M1 that I use in my FAL's.

If it's a "newer" rebarreled conversion, it should be marked .308 or 7.62x51 under the op rod and visible when pulled back. I have heard that some of the actual US Navy 308 conversions were not marked on the barrel and know some earlier conversions were a sleeve inserted into a 30-06 chamber.

The spacer I mentioned that many use is an optional part that prevents someone accidentally from inserting a 30-06 clip into the rifle.

Here is a pic of mine. You can see the white plastic just before the feed ramp.

I also had the rear sight cover engraved ".308" on it. The pic above is before I installed the engraved part.
    Last edited by mrbieler; 12-03-20 at 19:13.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984