Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Always Check Your Ammo

Feedback Score
    As I recall, blue boxes, & called Precision something, but don't remember exact name.

Feedback Score
    I once ran a 20 round box of 240gr Hornady XTP’s through my Freedom Arms M83 in .454 Casull, and a few of the rounds were noticeably hotter than the others. Claimed 1900fps and I have no reason to doubt it, most of them recoiled pretty hard as it was, but two of them put the top strap of the revolver into my forehead under recoil. That will teach me to shoot a big bore revolver from the bench. My shooting partner even commented that they didn’t sound right. Extraction was sticky on them as well, but no damage to the weapon. Can’t say the same for my forehead, I got a nice cut that FA top strap has sharp edges.

Feedback Score
    Always check your ammo!

One of my mentors the late and great Shlomo Baum, was the commander on a raid into Egypt back in the day. The raid was so important that someone up the chain of command ordered special ammo for the raid.

So a few days before the raid IMI with great fan fair delivered the ammo. Shlomo start to examine the ammo including pulling bullets and weighing the powder on randomly selected bullets. It was all fine and good on the 9mm and the rifle ammo. But when it came time to examine the .50 cal ammo for the M2s, big problem. None of the .50 cal had gun powder in it.

They would have crossed the Suez and entered into combat with Egyptian and Soviet troops and had no heavy machine guns.

But they got new .50 cal ammo, and the raid was a success allowing Israel to steal Soviet air defense technology.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    Always check your ammo!

One of my mentors the late and great Shlomo Baum, was the commander on a raid into Egypt back in the day. The raid was so important that someone up the chain of command ordered special ammo for the raid.
    Agreed on the need to check ammo. In this case, also seems risky to change or introduce a new type of ammo right before an important operation, when you haven't had much time to vet and train with it.

Feedback Score
    I always do a QC check on my reloaded ammo before it goes into a mag or ammo can. Looks like might be a good idea for factory ammo too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Agreed on the need to check ammo. In this case, also seems risky to change or introduce a new type of ammo right before an important operation, when you haven't had much time to vet and train with it.
    When I said special, I didn't communicate the correct meaning. They made regular ammo that was supposed to be done at a higher quality control. But some how they missed putting gun powder into the 0.5 ammo.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    When I said special, I didn't communicate the correct meaning. They made regular ammo that was supposed to be done at a higher quality control. But some how they missed putting gun powder into the 0.5 ammo.
    You. Had. One. Job!

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I have a case of Federal American Eagle 115gr. 9MM that I'm shooting at the moment. I may have 500 rounds left. So far every single box I shot had at least on round not go off. Good primer strike and did not ignite. Each one so far, I have put back in for a second attempt at setting it off and none would go off. None of the rounds that did not go off had any physical defects.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Not really an ammo check issue, because you couldn't check the ammo for this one. Some years ago I was ROing a guy on a stage at the local IDPA. He was shooting a Glock 21 and Federal factory FMJ. He fired a few and then he got kind of a squib sort of sound and his pistol stopped working and was locked up. He couldn't retract the slide. So, we stopped and I did the grab the slide and whacked the back strap of the pistol to pop it open. When I did I saw the case eject and something smaller fall. I picked up the case to exam it, and found that it had no flash hole. The primer went off, backed out a bit and locked the gun up. He didn't know to unlock it. Moral of the story is, know how to clear a malfunction and get the gun running again.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    Not really an ammo check issue, because you couldn't check the ammo for this one. Some years ago I was ROing a guy on a stage at the local IDPA. He was shooting a Glock 21 and Federal factory FMJ. He fired a few and then he got kind of a squib sort of sound and his pistol stopped working and was locked up. He couldn't retract the slide. So, we stopped and I did the grab the slide and whacked the back strap of the pistol to pop it open. When I did I saw the case eject and something smaller fall. I picked up the case to exam it, and found that it had no flash hole. The primer went off, backed out a bit and locked the gun up. He didn't know to unlock it. Moral of the story is, know how to clear a malfunction and get the gun running again.
    I had a 9mm round with no flash hole a few years ago. I don't remember it tying up the pistol. I don't know where I put it or I would post the manufacturer. Also had a 9mm that was never crimped and wouldn't chamber in any of the pistols I had at the range that day.

Needless to say, I would be a little hesitant to rely on bulk commercial 9mm ball ammo.

Andy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast