Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Wilson Mag. 4th Rnd Won't Feed...

Feedback Score

New Wilson Mag. 4th Rnd Won't Feed...

Howdy,

I've had failure to feed issues before but never the exact rnd in a mag before.

100+ rnds down range today through 4 mags. One Wilson would not feed the 4th round. Even loaded up again and would do the same... Got to no feed 4th. Added 2 round which both fed and fired and no feed. Added one more; fed and fired then no feed. Worked the spring. Felt smooth...

Taking apart it looks pristine. I Ballistol'd it and hopefully that smooths it out but I figured there'd be a bur on spring or case since follower moves smoothly but in good light with magnification glasses on not a blemish inside...Won't get a chance to shoot again for a few days....

BTW I had an older looks like a Wilson mag but the spring WAY weaker than other mags. Almost floppy. It fed just fine...I expected issues the spring was so weak.

I've had more than a dozen Wilsons and not one issue with one ever....

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    That’s super random but I’d email them. I had the same issue but on the first round it was consistently the same mag out of five total. I emailed them and they replaced it with a brand new one, warranty is part of the reason they’re so expensive in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Whalstib View Post
    One Wilson would not feed the 4th round.
    I agree with Wake that the easiest thing to do is let Wilson replace it for free.

This just popped into my head and it shouldn't be but check to see if the follower or mag spring is contacting the mag release at the 4th round.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    That’s super random but I’d email them. I had the same issue but on the first round it was consistently the same mag out of five total. I emailed them and they replaced it with a brand new one, warranty is part of the reason they’re so expensive in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_in_Allentown View Post
    I agree with Wake that the easiest thing to do is let Wilson replace it for free.

This just popped into my head and it shouldn't be but check to see if the follower or mag spring is contacting the mag release at the 4th round.
    Thanks!

Ya know I installed an extended mag catch and had to file it a bit to fit the Wilson mags... They still need to be slammed in harder than my others...I'll check thta and contact Wilson.

Feedback Score
    I’ve had similar experience with certain Wilson mags causing failures. One fails on six consistently, another fails on four. Maybe I should also call them.

Feedback Score
    They still need to be slammed in harder than my others.
    This isn't caused by the degree to which the mag catch shelf protrudes into the magazine. It has to do with the angle of the area underneath the shelf. Very carefully filing or stoning to change the angle slightly will allow for easier insertion. You can also replace the OEM mag catch spring with a lighter one from Wolff. Of course, you'll want to test fire the pistol to be sure the mag catch spring is strong enough to hold a fully loaded mag in place. If you use too light a spring, it will not be able to securely hold a magazine as the pistol recoils.

If the magazine shelf is too wide, it can snag the mag spring or follower as they move upward causing jams like you experienced or less obvious malfunctions like inertia feeds.

Feedback Score
    They still need to be slammed in harder than my others.
    I wanted to follow up on my previous post to hopefully add some clarity to my words.

Below is a mag catch that hasn't been "tuned". Surface A is what makes contact with the right side of the magazine tube as the mag is inserted. The thin flat area immediately above Surface A is the ledge upon which the magazine rests when it's locked into the pistol.

Note that Surface A is angled. To reduce the amount of force needed to seat the mag I would first 'paint' Surface A with a blue Sharpie. Then with the slide removed and the mag catch installed I'd seat a magazine multiple times. Then I'd remove the mag catch to see where the blue Sharpie had been worn away from contact with the magazine. You'll probably see a thin line from the initial contact point up to the ledge.

Now you can file, sand, and/or stone the path the magazine takes up the mag catch to smooth it. You can also carefully change the angle of Surface A. The limiting factor in changing the angle is the ledge. You don't want to reduce the width of the ledge unless you've determined that it is so wide that it is contacting the mag spring or follower.

You can reduce the height of the thin flat area immediately above Surface A as you change the angle of Surface A but you'll want to leave a small flat area to protect the edge of the ledge.

Sorry, I don't have any in-progress pictures of the 'tuning' I do to mag catches.

Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_in_Allentown View Post
    This isn't caused by the degree to which the mag catch shelf protrudes into the magazine. It has to do with the angle of the area underneath the shelf. Very carefully filing or stoning to change the angle slightly will allow for easier insertion. You can also replace the OEM mag catch spring with a lighter one from Wolff. Of course, you'll want to test fire the pistol to be sure the mag catch spring is strong enough to hold a fully loaded mag in place. If you use too light a spring, it will not be able to securely hold a magazine as the pistol recoils.

If the magazine shelf is too wide, it can snag the mag spring or follower as they move upward causing jams like you experienced or less obvious malfunctions like inertia feeds.
    Thanks!

I had an extended mag release installed by a high end smithy! He sold me the release and painstakingly installed for me.

Plus other mags are 100% perfect performing!

NOW BOTH Wilsons are having issues! The one that had FTF issues won't allow 8 rounds inserted as 1st one in goes crooked when #7 does. Can't even force #8 in! Triple checked spring orientation. Unloaded the one that works and #4 would jam on unloading! I've unloaded 100's of 1911 mags and rounds almost fly out! #4 was jamming on something! Mags were marked at range and I didn't mix them up. Maybe in the 1911 the second mag would feed fine but again I've never had a round hang up so tight when unloading.

I'm using cheap WWB and some S&B which may be the problem BUT I have shot WWB at the range for years and don't ever recall an issue AND my other mags feed perfectly. Even an ancient one with a wet noodle for a spring!

It's the danged Wilsons! ~$100 wasted on their junk! Yea I'll send back but do you think for one second I'd risk my life with ANY Wilson product from now on?! We're talking 2 brand new bought in 2 different stores mags being faulty like no mags I've ever used before! Plus I full time RV and difficult to get packages sent as I move every few weeks...

Get your act together Wilson!

Feedback Score
    I hear you.

I'd call Wilson and describe the problem. They have an excellent reputation for customer service and may simply send you replacement mags for free.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    He's been offered the same advices at another forum. Supposedly he received recommendations from Wilson on how to break in his new magazines.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast