Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Anyone else have a MAS 49/56 etc?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAlsatian View Post
    I put about the same thru mine, back when 7.5 was easier to find. The .308s were known to be spottily problematic. My understanding is the earlier ones were good to go but Century never replaced their chamber reamers and later ones were not up to spec. This might explain the mixed reports. I've not heard of any issues with the 7.5 versions. Indeed the rifle had a very long service life with French forces. I remember when the 49/56 was the symbol of the Foreign Legion in Africa and the Middle East. I also once owned a straight MAS 49 and it performed well also.
    i remember several fellas saying it was a gas port issue and with some work they were able to get their rifles to function well , again that was a decade ago

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hoopharted View Post
    i put 3 to 4 thousand rounds through that rifle in less than 5 years of owning it , it was hardly a safe queen , and pardon me for being contrary to your ill informed sky is falling perception of a rifle you never owned ,i wouldn't expect you to take the word of someone that not only owned one , shot the hell out of it ,and lived through the negativity that shrouded the rifle without issue
    Because you're the exception and not the rule. One anecdotal example.

Of course I didn't own it. For obvious reasons. Would you buy the Yugo automobile or a Trabant based on one or two anecdotal positive reviews? I'm sure there's someone out there that never had a problem.

I'm not going to spend my money to find out what 99% of the owners already know.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345