Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrett Firearms Mk22 MRAD

Feedback Score

Barrett Firearms Mk22 MRAD

http://https://www.businessinsider.c...-rifle-2020-11

It is seems there will be a new precision bolt action rifle available. The rifle is multi-cal and fire: 7.62x51mm NATO/.308Win, .300 Norma Magnum, and .338 Norma Magnum. I know nothing about it except from what I read in the article; however, I figured some of the folks here would be interested in learning about this new rifle.
    Member of the JPFO, NRA, and TSRA!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    We shot one in 300 Norma Mag at 1,000 yds as part of the Legion 9/11 Memorial Run N Gun. I was prepared to be underwhelmed (a bolt gun is a bolt gun, right?), but I was WAY wrong.

That rifle had newbies making hits easily at 1,000 yds. It really is an amazing piece of precision machinery.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt in TN View Post
    I was prepared to be underwhelmed (a bolt gun is a bolt gun, right?), but I was WAY wrong.
    What features are special? How do they allow newbies to make easy hits at 1,000 yards?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    OP link not working for me right now. But this one does:

https://www.tactical-life.com/firear...-sniper-rifle/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    What features are special? How do they allow newbies to make easy hits at 1,000 yards?
    I can't quote engineering details, but in general I was told it's a stiffer action built from the ground up to handle these loads (as opposed to the more common Remington 700-style). I'm sure the suppressor and high dollar Nightforce scope helped, as well as a great trigger. And the 300 Norma Mag (Hornady 225gr ELD Match) made wind calls a whole lot less important.

I've shot just enough long range to know how hard it is with a Remington 700 in .308. I laid down behind it and put five shots into 3/4 MOA at 1,000 yds.

Barrett donated an MRAD (basically the "civilian version" of the M22) for the match, and we gave that away as a side match at 1,000 yds. Competitors could "purchase" ammo (donation to the SFA) for $5/rd to shoot through the M22, and any hit in the 10 ring or better got them an entry for a random draw to win the MRAD. The Barrett guys laughed when I told them my criteria and told me I needed to change that to "X-ring or better", but a former state champion long range shooter told me that just wasn't realistic and very few people would get an entry if we did that.

I should have listened to the Barrett guys. I'd say 80-90% of the shots taken went 10-ring or better, and most Run N Gun folks are NOT long range shooters. I think we ran through 300 rounds total that day, and it stayed solid throughout. It really was like cheating to shoot that rifle at only 1,000 yds.
    Last edited by Matt in TN; 11-18-20 at 11:06.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I shot a MRAD 338 Lapua a few weeks back. Very nice shooter. Definitely had top level accuracy and the 338 Lapua made wind calls at 1030 yards easy.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Anther member picked one up and I have been trying to get him out to the ranch. Ive always had a crush on MRADS, just cool factor, no experience.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mr Owens worked on the development of this rifle and gives some background on what the specs called for and why:

https://youtu.be/sAlmlb8W_DE

Feedback Score
    This was the notification from March of last year:

Barrett Firearms Manufacturing Inc., Christiana, Tennessee, was awarded an estimated $49,936,300, five-year, indefinite-delivery/indefinite-quantity, firm-fixed-price contract (H92403-19-D-0002) for the purchase of advanced sniper rifles in support of U.S. Special Operations Command (USSOCOM). Fiscal 2019 research, development, test and evaluation funds in the amount of $387,234 are being obligated at the time of award. The work will be performed in Christiana, and is scheduled to be completed by March 2024. The solicitation was posted on the Federal Business Opportunities website under “full and open competition” and six proposals were received. USSOCOM, Tampa, Florida, is the contracting activity.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Kevin Owens was a member of the selection team right before he retired,

The Army's new Sniper Rifle (MK22 ASR) with Retired Special Forces Sniper Kevin Owens

Last edited by mack7.62; 11-21-20 at 05:39.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast