Page 41 of 116 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast

Thread: How Long Will Covid Restrictions Remain In Place...?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Are saying is that we have learned about all we can about treating Covid, or are you saying lethality is increasing?

I would offer that there are far more Covid cases in the US than testing shows. If I have mild symptoms and a fever that is controlled by OTC meds, I'm not running to get tested.

Andy
    From my experience, no new treatments are being tried in mass at the institution I work for.

The therapeutics we use help, but it’s largely a different population we’re seeing now than we did early on. Early on and through the summer, we largely saw elderly people with some obviously underlying health conditions.

Now we are starting to see the younger sick population. Lately, it’s been working diabetics with obesity, those younger people with hypertension, and for some reason a lot of psychiatric and mental problems. The thing is everybody reacts so differently to the virus. I’ve seen 90+ year olds walk away without issue, and I’ve seen healthy 28 year olds with a massive cough for two weeks and body aches end up in the ICU for PE.

Though I’m sure that people in this thread would argue that COVID wasn’t the cause of death, it was PE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I hated gym class. Almost killed me a few times.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    I find it interesting that the are judging things by how many ICU beds we have available. This is a novel, highly transmittable, pandemic virus. You HOPE that you can do it with the number of ICU beds that you have for standard demand. How you are supposed to absorb the surge with current assets is beyond me. They have been talking about the coming winter surge, but where are all the extra beds that should have been added the last 6 months. Did we declare WWII and stop building ships? The hospitals I'm aware of asked nurses to consider working shifts in the ICU to help with COVID, but where were all the programs to bring in supplemental nurses? The money my be Federal, but the plan and execution of that would be a local issue.

Instead we were told to told to wear masks. Those surgical masks are what, rated for 20 min? Non-ICU docs still are using the same N95s for a week. We are 9 months into this and it seems that everyone hung their hats on the vaccines. I don't get it, Trillions of dollars and I really don't see anything that different than March. I'm not anti mask, I'm just against people basically wearing underwear on their heads- I agree that PPE could be a game changer, but you need at least an N95 per person, per week. Frankly a billion masks a week isn't unreasonable.

Sure lockdowns are always the answer.

Is COVID a scam? It sure does seem like it if you look at the actual actions taken by those in power. Mask mandates that they flaunt. No real change in medical resources. And where is the PPE?

When will this end? If you pay attention to resource allocation, I'd say soon because they aren't actually doing anything. IF you look at the power based on dolling out trillions of dollars and telling us we don't have the Constitutional right to not wear a mask in public, forever.

I say don't treat any politicians until they get their crap together.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    I find it interesting that the are judging things by how many ICU beds we have available. This is a novel, highly transmittable, pandemic virus. You HOPE that you can do it with the number of ICU beds that you have for standard demand. How you are supposed to absorb the surge with current assets is beyond me. They have been talking about the coming winter surge, but where are all the extra beds that should have been added the last 6 months. Did we declare WWII and stop building ships? The hospitals I'm aware of asked nurses to consider working shifts in the ICU to help with COVID, but where were all the programs to bring in supplemental nurses? The money my be Federal, but the plan and execution of that would be a local issue.

Instead we were told to told to wear masks. Those surgical masks are what, rated for 20 min? Non-ICU docs still are using the same N95s for a week. We are 9 months into this and it seems that everyone hung their hats on the vaccines. I don't get it, Trillions of dollars and I really don't see anything that different than March. I'm not anti mask, I'm just against people basically wearing underwear on their heads- I agree that PPE could be a game changer, but you need at least an N95 per person, per week. Frankly a billion masks a week isn't unreasonable.

Sure lockdowns are always the answer.

Is COVID a scam? It sure does seem like it if you look at the actual actions taken by those in power. Mask mandates that they flaunt. No real change in medical resources. And where is the PPE?

When will this end? If you pay attention to resource allocation, I'd say soon because they aren't actually doing anything. IF you look at the power based on dolling out trillions of dollars and telling us we don't have the Constitutional right to not wear a mask in public, forever.

I say don't treat any politicians until they get their crap together.
    Where are the beds? We went from 30 and 10 overflow to 60 some which have and some which don’t have Central Monitoring.

But the question is, how do you staff them? It takes about six months to train an ICU nurse. However, there are none to train. The nurses working other specialties are taking care of non-ICU COVID patients.

Our COVID unit went from 38 beds to 90. Again, how do you staff them?

We’ve got anybody in other roles with ICU experience staffing ICU now. Other jobs are being overlooked...there are QA, administration, educators, etc taking ICU patients.

Where is the PPE? We’ve had mounds of it come in in the last few months. It’s coming in, it’s lower quality, imports largely. Quality stuff is hard to get. Call 3M and ask them why they can’t pound out more N95s? If we were using N95s as intended, we need 500 billion per year from what I’ve read.

Feedback Score
    Are saying is that we have learned about all we can about treating Covid, or are you saying lethality is increasing?

I would offer that there are far more Covid cases in the US than testing shows. If I have mild symptoms and a fever that is controlled by OTC meds, I'm not running to get tested.

Andy
    I haven't heard anything about the virus becoming more lethal or difficult to treat, nor have I heard about any treatment breakthroughs recently that have significantly changed outcomes.

If ya take a look at hospitalizations the past 30 days it has doubled from 42,000 to 88,000. At the same time the number of deaths have doubled.

Number of infections, infection rate, hospitalizations and number of dead have all doubled in the past month. It's all trending in the same direction at similar speeds. I don't believe it's all just a big coincidence of reporting errors converging.

Yes, of course there will always be more actual infections than testing shows. I believe that was much more the case at the beginning of the outbreak when testing was limited and those with symptoms were prioritized.

Getting back to the OP's question, Covid related restrictions are unlikely to ease up until there's a reversal in the above trends.
    Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 11-25-20 at 11:21.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    We have had six months + to train ICU nurses. We knew by April, for sure, that Covid was sticking around.

If you have increased your beds by slightly over 100% and the number of people who have contracted Corona has increased by 300%, it's reasonably you would be out of beds.

FMCDH makes a good point, it seems like the CDC and HHS's concerted effort turned to harping about minimally effective masks and political squabbling and away from actually doing doctor shit.

Andy

Feedback Score
    IMHO the "lockdowns" will be used as leverage to coerce people to get the vaccines. All but one person I've spoken to (and I work at a hospital) is NOT getting one right away. Everyone else is waiting for someone else to get it first and see what happens. That is gonna piss .gov off.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 11-25-20 at 12:43.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    We have had six months + to train ICU nurses. We knew by April, for sure, that Covid was sticking around.

If you have increased your beds by slightly over 100% and the number of people who have contracted Corona has increased by 300%, it's reasonably you would be out of beds.

FMCDH makes a good point, it seems like the CDC and HHS's concerted effort turned to harping about minimally effective masks and political squabbling and away from actually doing doctor shit.

Andy
    Who was going to shit out the nurses to train?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PracticalRifleman View Post
    Who was going to shit out the nurses to train?
    Can't ya press the Nurse button? Just like the PPE button... oh wait...

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    More beds or more nurses won't effect the duration of Covid restrictions that are based on political expediency, not medical necessity.

Covid is (predictably) spreading like wildfire right now and restrictions are seen as "at least _______ is doing something".

What is the exit strategy? When do we wipe contact tracing databases? When do we remove all restrictions emplaced since March 2020?

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 11-25-20 at 11:56.

Page 41 of 116 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast