Thread: Switching Hanguards

Feedback Score

Switching Hanguards

Hey Folks,

Pretty much a rookie question, but I've never changed one.

Are all handguards compatible with each other?

I have a Noveske and want to change the hand guard out. I Cant find any Noveske's but can find plenty of others... so do they all work with each other, or do they all have proprietary connections?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    3 Diffrent lengths.

Pistol Length
    Mid Length
    Rifle Length

What length do you have and what is it about your handgaurds now that don't you like?

Feedback Score
    It’s a 14.5 mid length. I’m switching because it’s a really old school hand guard and weighs around 75lbs. I couldn’t find the NOVESKE ‘s to replace it, but I can get some BCM’s

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Probably want a HG in the 10"-13" range. What HG you can use is going to depend on what barrel nut is on there, or what barrel nut and HG combo you want to try. HG's usually have their own barrel nut set up. Some HG's use a stock barrel nut, which usually means you don't have to tear the front end down.
    Last edited by TomMcC; 11-18-20 at 22:06.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The odds of a different handguard just dropping right on is pretty low. Especially if you are changing manufacturers.

Does your barrel have a FSB?

If not, then buying the BCM handguard should give you all the parts you need. You're going to need to remove your barrel and replace the barrel nut with the BCM one that comes with your new handguard.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Ya thats what I was afraid of. Im one of those guys that is pretty good at stripping, breaking or bending things. Thanks for the reply.

Feedback Score
    The handguards aren't very universal, but the platform is.

Is this a freefloat (assuming yes, being that it's a noveske)? The barrel nut is goin to be the primary point of contention. If you can find a handguard with the same barrel nut, then it's quick. If you're changing from conventional to freefloat, then it gets a little more difficult, and if you're changing from one manufacturer to another on any freefloat, then it's more complicated - but not terribly.

Should state what you've got, and pictures are even better. You can change it. Even if you're rough on things.

Feedback Score
    Hey I appreciate it man, thats good to know for future reference. I ended up just going complete upper... so know I have a backup. Now if I could just find a G19... SMH

Quote Originally Posted by junkpile View Post
    The handguards aren't very universal, but the platform is.

Is this a freefloat (assuming yes, being that it's a noveske)? The barrel nut is goin to be the primary point of contention. If you can find a handguard with the same barrel nut, then it's quick. If you're changing from conventional to freefloat, then it gets a little more difficult, and if you're changing from one manufacturer to another on any freefloat, then it's more complicated - but not terribly.

Should state what you've got, and pictures are even better. You can change it. Even if you're rough on things.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mchase View Post
    Hey Folks,

Pretty much a rookie question, but I've never changed one.

Are all handguards compatible with each other?

I have a Noveske and want to change the hand guard out. I Cant find any Noveske's but can find plenty of others... so do they all work with each other, or do they all have proprietary connections?

Thanks
    I know you said you bought a new upper but throw up a few photos of your Noveske. Many here could still weigh in on your hand guard.