Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VCOG vs. Elcan Specter 1-4x

Feedback Score

VCOG vs. Elcan Specter 1-4x

So, for my general purpose, SHTF, jack of all trades rifle, I'm looking into variable optic. I know that LVPOs appear to be the new wave thing, but what's the thought on the Elcan these days? Is it going the way of the dinosaur, or is there still a place for it for general purpose roles? For LVPOs, I'm leaning towards the VCOG as it seems to be the most robust, and the 700 hour battery is better than most of the LVPOs in its class, though the Kahles K16i is tempting too (though the battery life is not comparable to the Trijicon).

How does the Specter compare to the VCOG (or the Kahles) in terms of use at 1x CQB and/or mid-range? I know the 6x of LVPO gives you the ability to reach out a little more, but I also like the simplicity of just switching between 1 and 4 without having to think about adjusting and fine tuning and such. I dunno. Thoughts?
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    So I have a personal VCOG 1-6 and had one on my work gun too. Nobody in my company runs the Elcans, they sit in the cages. You’ll see guys running personal LPVO’s. The elcan had problems holding zero when switching between the 1x or 4x. Elcan also has a short eye relief so a VCOG is better. A buddy of mine got the 1-8 vcog and has been running one for a little less than a year. The marines made a good choice with the new 1-8 vcog. I have one that I have yet to mount but it is daylight bright from when I have taken it out to check the brightness.

Feedback Score
    I was leaning towards the VCOG. The Elcan caught my eye more for the simplicity and the comparatively lesser cost (though not that much less), and I've heard that the eye relief and the zero problems had been fixed in newer models. But with more and more people and militaries going the way of the LPVO, there must be something to it.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    The VCOG is great, if you’re going to get one get the 1-8 because the illumination is daylight bright and the reticle design is better than the old 1-6 models. Someone will probably chime in and say “daylight visible” because it’s not nuclear aimpoint bright to where it blooms but honestly on 1x when it’s an Eotech like reticle you don’t want the crazy bloom. It will be definitely red. You’ll find yourself using the in between magnification too. Some guys says it’s either 1x or 8x but with my 1-8 Accupowers I find myself on 6x 1.5x 4x depending on what the target and what is going on. Sometimes knowing you have multiple targets you don’t want 8x so you go down to 6x or you want a tiny bit but still speed so you go 1.5x.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've used the Elcan extensively professionally in my misguided youth on 2 way ranges and it's FANTASTIC and I recommend it as a "do all" combat optic that can offer the user an "unfair" (that's what you want...) advantage in a variety of environments.... but I'd choose the 1-6x VCOG over it if I could do it all over again. I've only used the VCOG in "civilian" settings but the 1x is much more forgiving and the integral mount is better.

That said, the new ARMS levers solve 99% of the ELCAN mount issues and they really should just be included with new production units. That said they're uber cheap so it's not that big of a deal to pick them up after picking up the optic...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrgunsngear View Post
    I've used the Elcan extensively professionally in my misguided youth on 2 way ranges and it's FANTASTIC and I recommend it as a "do all" combat optic that can offer the user an "unfair" (that's what you want...) advantage in a variety of environments.... but I'd choose the 1-6x VCOG over it if I could do it all over again. I've only used the VCOG in "civilian" settings but the 1x is much more forgiving and the integral mount is better.

That said, the new ARMS levers solve 99% of the ELCAN mount issues and they really should just be included with new production units. That said they're uber cheap so it's not that big of a deal to pick them up after picking up the optic...
    My VCOG review FWIW:

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Why not a Razor? Shit for the price of either of those you could easily have a 1-6 Razor in a Badger mount with an offset or top mounted RMR. I wouldn't overthink battery life on an LPVO since they have reticles that don't require the battery. Sure its nice, but often not entirely necessary with the right reticle, especially if the scope has off settings in between each brightness.
    Last edited by Wake27; 11-18-20 at 21:46.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    The battery life thing...yeah, that's more of a creature comfort thing. I know that, unlike with a RDS, I'm not SOL if my battery goes down. It's just nice to have a longer time before I have to think about it.

What are the Razors going for? According to the Vortex site, it's MSRP is about the same as the Kahles at $1999. I figure for the same price, I'd go with the K16i. Are the Razors usually going for less?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

VCOG vs. Elcan Specter 1-4x

Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    The battery life thing...yeah, that's more of a creature comfort thing. I know that, unlike with a RDS, I'm not SOL if my battery goes down. It's just nice to have a longer time before I have to think about it.

What are the Razors going for? According to the Vortex site, it's MSRP is about the same as the Kahles at $1999. I figure for the same price, I'd go with the K16i. Are the Razors usually going for less?
    1-6 Razors are usually around the $1,200 range and are always popping up on the ARFCOM EE. Personally, I’d go Gen II-E with MRAD reticle or the Gen III 1-10 if you’re patient and up for paying around $2k for just the scope.

Have had both the 1-6 and 1-10, just ended up selling to fund some other stuff while I could find it in stock but I fully intend on buying both again down the road. I used the Badger C1 in 1.7 height with both and it was the perfect height, I don’t know why anyone even tried LPVOs in the 1.5 height. I also added the offset RDS just to try it out. Aside from the Khales, the razor is probably the closest to an RDS on 1x but I figured I’d give it a shot and liked it quite a bit. The only downside there was the extra bulk of the rifle but Badger is releasing a top mount soon so that would have been next on my list to try. I just ended up buying a KAC can instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 11-19-20 at 07:42.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Why not a Razor? Shit for the price of either of those you could easily have a 1-6 Razor in a Badger mount with an offset or top mounted RMR. I wouldn't overthink battery life on an LPVO since they have reticles that don't require the battery. Sure its nice, but often not entirely necessary with the right reticle, especially if the scope has off settings in between each brightness.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post

For durability The gen 1 razor was stronger, a few buddies each broke multiple razors in one 3gun season. A buddy at the AMU said razor cut the weight out of the turrets for the gen ii and there have been guys having problems with turrets breaking or they’re not holding zero.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast