Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VCOG vs. Elcan Specter 1-4x

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorinInTheWoods View Post
    For durability The gen 1 razor was stronger, a few buddies each broke multiple razors in one 3gun season. A buddy at the AMU said razor cut the weight out of the turrets for the gen ii and there have been guys having problems with turrets breaking or they’re not holding zero.
    I had heard mixed things about the Razor in terms of being a SHTF optic: Overall, it's pretty good, but not quite as bombproof as the VCOG, K16i, S&B, NF, etc.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    **Double tap**
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorinInTheWoods View Post
    For durability The gen 1 razor was stronger, a few buddies each broke multiple razors in one 3gun season. A buddy at the AMU said razor cut the weight out of the turrets for the gen ii and there have been guys having problems with turrets breaking or they’re not holding zero.
    Pretty sure the Razor is still the golden standard. I did break mine early on but it took a hell of a fall and even then, it was still actually pretty usable. After fixing it, I beat it more than any other optic and it was solid, same with the Gen III.

ETA - there's also a K16i on the ARFCOM EE for $1,750.
    Last edited by Wake27; 11-19-20 at 19:53.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    What's the thought on FFP vs. SFP reticles? I know most of these have SFP, but the VCOG is first plane.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    What's the thought on FFP vs. SFP reticles? I know most of these have SFP, but the VCOG is first plane.
    I prefer FFP. Though the Vortex is great either way.

I loved the Elcan. I regret selling mine. I only sold it because I was never shooting past 25yds with my SBR and decided a T2 would be better. Now, I am considering getting a G33 for it.

I've had the Vortex 6x and now the 10x. The Gen3, IMO, is better. I like it a lot. But, if money is a concern finding a Gen2 for cheaper may be the way to go.
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.
    - cqbdriver

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I'm still a scope rookie but my take:

Biggest SFP con: reticle (stadia) is only fully usable at max power
    Biggest SFP pro: cheaper and easier to get daylight bright
    Biggest FFP con: harder to get a bright reticle AND poorly designed reticles are very small on 1x so you don't have a great option on 1x
    Biggest FFP pro: reticle (stadia) is usable at all distances (except maybe low power if its so small that its hard to see)

Bottom line: its easier to get cheaper SFPs that are good on 1x between brightness and fixed reticle size, and if your max power is 4-6x, the fixed reticle probably isn't a big issue for holds; expect to pay more for an equally usable FFP at low power, but at 8+ power, being able to zoom mid-way and still use the reticle is very desired.

Again, all IMO.
    Last edited by Wake27; 11-19-20 at 22:22.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I would go with the VCOG if I had the choice between a VCOG or an Elcan. The reason is the extra magnification the VCOG provides. The 4x magnification of The Elcan is not a lot, these days.

Years ago, I tried an Elcan. At the time I was only accustomed to an ACOG and a red dot. I found the Elcan to be too big and too heavy for what it did. However, now that I am used to an LPVO, the Elcan is neither too big nor too heavy. The only thing that changed was my perspective.

Feedback Score
    How do the EOTech Vudus stack up against the Razors? I know Garand thumb had issues with the illumination in early models. Did they ever improve that? All in all, is it a serious contender to the Razor?

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    All in all, is it a serious contender to the Razor?
    Short answer; no.

Feedback Score
    How do the EOTech Vudus stack up against the Razors? I know Garand thumb had issues with the illumination in early models. Did they ever improve that? All in all, is it a serious contender to the Razor?
    The 1-8 vudu is sfp and has a very small red dot. It is daylight bright but it’s so small, it doesn’t have the Eotech style reticle. It’s similar to a razor 1-6 reticle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12