Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IS IT POSSIBLE TO HUNT BIG GAMES USING AN AR 15?

Feedback Score

IS IT POSSIBLE TO HUNT BIG GAMES USING AN AR 15?

Mostly big game hunters prefer center fires like Ruger American Rifle, Winchester renegade etc. Why AR 15 is not in big game hunting lists. Is there any ideas like how to build a gun to make it for big game hunting?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    How big? What distance? You can build an AR with a caliber like 6.8 that can take out hogs or deer. Elk maybe. You could build one that shoots an even bigger heavier bullet like a. 458 socom, but you're sacrificing range. It'll certainly do the job up close though, like a brush gun. I would say hunting with 5.56 is very limited, some say it's good enough for deer, but most states do not allow that. You're pretty much limited to cougar or coyotes with a 5.56/223. The performance of the AR-15 is limited by it's short action, you're never going to have a heavy, high velocity bullet that would be ideal for big game like a 300 win mag or something that you can shoot out of a bolt gun, there are many calibers available for the AR-15 but they're always going to be a compromise.
    Last edited by kirkland; 11-19-20 at 02:34.

Feedback Score
    When thinking of hunting, you have to focus on the cartridge not the platform. The .223 is not a very effective big game cartridge, except on perhaps smallish deer. I have not had experience with the 6.8, you would have to look at its ballistic performance. It is generally considered sporting to use the most effective cartridge possible for the game you are hunting. Accuracy is also key, and magazine capacity is far down on the list. I never once saw anyone in MT carry an AR for hunting, nor any other semi auto for that matter. I see you are in Florida so you are likely not talking about anything particularly large as far as game if you are hunting in state.

Feedback Score
    I hunt very successfully with my super lightweight AR308. Elk mostly, last was a deer 4-5 weeks ago.
    Rifle’s 6.4lbs before optics though. Yes, you can build a handy, lightweight, precision 308 AR and hunt with it.
    I personally wouldn’t hunt any large game with 5.56/223.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Possible yes, legal or ethical depends. Use the proper caliber/bullet/range and place the bullet in the right place and bingo dinner. Elk are taken all the time with bows and muzzle loaders how can it be argued that a AR-15 cannot do the same with a properly placed shot at a realistic range? Too many want to use the large magnum's as a crutch to overcome lack of hunting/stalking skills and to enable hail mary shots at extended ranges.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 11-19-20 at 07:05.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What is "big game"? Lions, grizzlies, hippos, rhinos or black bear and moose?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Attachment 64349

Yes, been doing it for years. All about shot placement. 64 grain bonded bullet. No exit wound (that i could see). The blood on the back was from the mouth. Not sure what you mean “big game” but i will use it on black bear and deer. Never had had to chase a deer either.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robbins290 View Post
    Attachment 64349

Yes, been doing it for years. All about shot placement. 64 grain bonded bullet. No exit wound (that i could see). The blood on the back was from the mouth. Not sure what you mean “big game” but i will use it on black bear and deer. Never had had to chase a deer either.
    I’ve dropped multiple mature whitetail bucks in their tracks with a 70 gr TSX in 5.56mm. There are lots of advantages to using an AR including reliability, durability, resistance to the elements, ergonomics, so on and so forth.

Much bigger than hogs and whitetail, I would want something with more kinetic energy. Additionally, 5.56 (and other AR15 calibers) have a limited range which makes hunting some big game like elk, ram, antelope, etc more difficult. ARs can also get somewhat heavy, especially if not a dedicated hunting rig. I typically use a 14.5 DD with a 1-6x Razor. While handy, it is somewhat heavy. My SBR I sometimes use, can be downright unwieldy in a hunting situation with a 1-4x, DBAL, WML, suppressor, etc. The more things increasing capability of the gun also increasing snagging on spot and stalk type hunts.

At the end of the day, hunting big game is much easier with a dedicated bolt-action hunting rifle; more energy, more range, easier to carry due to being streamlined and often lighter, and faster handling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I agree Practicalriflemen. I live in Maine so the only 3 big game species is deer, bear and moose. I would not use a 5.56 on moose and most shots are under 200 yards. All mine are 30 yards or less. If I was making long shots on ram or Elk, I would not use any ar15.

Feedback Score
    As others have mentioned, you 'could' take a deer with a .223, as long as you use good ammo, have good shot placement, and stay within ranges that give you at least 900 ft pounds of energy on target. I would use a bullet like the Barnes 70gr TTSX, or maybe a bonded soft point like the Federal Fusion 62 gr etc.

If you want to hunt with a gas gun, and aren't stuck on .223, the AR10 calibers are better suited for taking game like deer and elk etc. I've hunted deer with an AR10 in .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor, and those are much better options than .223/5.56. All that being said, i still think a good bolt gun is your best option for big game hunting.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast