Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: IS IT POSSIBLE TO HUNT BIG GAMES USING AN AR 15?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have a .458 SOCOM AR for bear and moose.

I would not use .223, 300blk, 6.8spc or any other cartridge like that for those animals though.

Feedback Score
    I’ve been using the 556 almost exclusively now for years. 180 pound deer inside 200 yards is in serious trouble if hit with a 77 grain SMK type bullet. 64 grain traditional soft points are pretty violent also. Pretty good luck with MK 318. Federal MSR was ok, but nothing to rave about. 55 grain soft points have been sketchy.

Take your shot carefully, and do your best to place the shot perpendicular to the deer... Physics will do the rest.

Feedback Score

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by gary09 View Post
    Mostly big game hunters prefer center fires like Ruger American Rifle, Winchester renegade etc. Why AR 15 is not in big game hunting lists. Is there any ideas like how to build a gun to make it for big game hunting?
    Go Here: Hunting

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Moved.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAlsatian View Post
    When thinking of hunting, you have to focus on the cartridge not the platform.
    That is true, and I think more than a few places have caliber regulations based on firearm type than anything else. Certainly not based on real world experience.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you can kill an Elephant with a 7x57, I don't see why you couldn't hunt North America with a 5.56.

Of course, bullet selection shot placement, and distance all matter if you want an ethical kill on a game animal. On the flip side, just because you could take a game animal with a 5.56 doesn't mean you should. On the flip side, you don't need the latest whiz-bang boutique cartridge from whatever manufacturer wants to pay to have it named after themselves either.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    If you can kill an Elephant with a 7x57
    I think in that case it was a lot more of the Indian than the arrow.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._D._M._Bell

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    You weren't kidding.

Bell used the brain shot extensively, with his intention being to kill his quarry quickly before the herd became restless or took flight.[22] He mastered an oblique shot from the rear which was angled through the neck muscles and into the brain. This difficult shot has become known as "The Bell Shot" on elephants.

Bell has become famous for his superb marksmanship. He was once witnessed shooting fish jumping from the surface of a lake,[24] and he wrote of shooting flying birds out of the sky with his .318 Westley Richards rifle, in order to use up a batch of faulty ammunition.[25]

Feedback Score
    I know of at least one person that has taken elk out in AZ, with his 6.5 Grendel.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    I know of at least one person that has taken elk out in AZ, with his 6.5 Grendel.
    In today's world of whiz-bang cartridges named after your favorite company, I was an early Grendel adopter because it fit the same role as the classic 6.5 Swede (6.5x55). That old classic lives on today in a lot of the popular re-incarnations of hard-hitting 6.5's. Granted some of them have improvements, dropping belts, primer size, body taper and shoulder angle, etc but, they fit very similar roles as the old classics.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast