Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: IS IT POSSIBLE TO HUNT BIG GAMES USING AN AR 15?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    I think in that case it was a lot more of the Indian than the arrow.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._D._M._Bell
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    You weren't kidding.
    Again, understand your quarry, put the bullets where they need to go, use the proper bullet construction, and, like Bell, you don't need a British Double in some Cordite cartridge to humanely take your quarry.

Bell used good rifle skills and above-average stalking and quarry knowledge to humanely take Elephants which today, is very questionable.

It is a bit like native Eskimo groups using everything from 22LR to shotguns to hunt seals and various land animals. Today, many people consider it unethical but, it is consistent with their culture and they definitely have the skills to do it. After all, natural selection and mother nature took care of the ones that couldn't.

In my case, and that of a friend who was near distinguished marksman status before life intervened, have trouble cleanly killing feral hogs with a 5.56 MSR. I'm not nearly the marksman my friend is but, I don't have trouble with a 6.8SPC AR-15 cleanly taking feral hogs.
    Last edited by Sid Post; 11-27-20 at 07:29.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    I know of at least one person that has taken elk out in AZ, with his 6.5 Grendel.
    In KY, no 6.5 is elk legal(.27 minimum) which is almost bizarre considering the number of moose that have been taken with 6.5×55 through the years.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I like the Grendel, but can we really consider it equal to the x55?
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    Again, understand your quarry, put the bullets where they need to go, use the proper bullet construction, and, like Bell, you don't need a British Double in some Cordite cartridge to humanely take your quarry.

Bell used good rifle skills and above-average stalking and quarry knowledge to humanely take Elephants which today, is very questionable.

It is a bit like native Eskimo groups using everything from 22LR to shotguns to hunt seals and various land animals. Today, many people consider it unethical but, it is consistent with their culture and they definitely have the skills to do it. After all, natural selection and mother nature took care of the ones that couldn't.

In my case, and that of a friend who was near distinguished marksman status before life intervened, have trouble cleanly killing feral hogs with a 5.56 MSR. I'm not nearly the marksman my friend is but, I don't have trouble with a 6.8SPC AR-15 cleanly taking feral hogs.
    I totally forgot about Eskimos and that caused me to remember Heimo Korth living up in ANWR. Not sure where I stuck the book about him, but he uses .22-250 (or .220 Swift) on everything up there.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I like the Grendel, but can we really consider it equal to the x55?
    No, quite a bit weaker. Looks like fairly significant power jumps(less to more) between Grendel, Creedmoor, 6.5x55, and PRC. Even PRC isn't elk legal here.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    No, quite a bit weaker. Looks like fairly significant power jumps(less to more) between Grendel, Creedmoor, 6.5x55, and PRC. Even PRC isn't elk legal here.
    For a hunting rifle, probably not a big factor but, barrel burning harsh or heavy versions don't do a lot more than the more classic 'old school' versions with modern loadings.

Creedmoor, Lapua/BR, 6XC, and a few more were really developed for slightly better competition cartridges and were repurposed to the hunting role. In a stock length AR-15/MSR platform, the 6.5 Grendel is about the most you can cram into that platform and is a good step up from the 5.56. In Europe, a lot of shooters get really good results the classic old 'Swede' just like shooters on the side of the pond with the 308W/7.62x51 (or previously the 30-06).

Modern calibers without support for Black Powder and Cordite allow smaller capacity cartridges to offer similar or better performance levels but, how much "better" are they? Less powder technically offers less recoil but, if cartridge charge weight is a factor in recoil, you are either shooting the wrong rifle or need a different trigger puller. Barrel life for a hunter is a non-issue for the vast majority who aren't professionals. Even a barrel torch like a 220 Swift or 6.5x284 is a lifetime rifle for most true hunters when you consider once the rifle is broken in, 20 rounds a year or less is an average shot count.

Feedback Score
    Most hunters don’t shoot enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    . In Europe, a lot of shooters get really good results the classic old 'Swede' just like shooters on the side of the pond with the 308W/7.62x51 (or previously the 30-06).

Yeah our .270 limit/6.5mm verboten for elk hunting is silly when that history is even halfway looked at.

I figure at best caliber reg's are people(legislatures or DNR folks) who mean well and trying to simplify things, members of that group who don't have a clue what they are doing, and finally just antigun shenanigans. The last one is the only reason I can think of that a state(iirc MN) back in the 90's that listed specific cartridges for deer hunting had .32-20 as an approved cartridge while .30 Carbine was specifically named as not allowed.

Feedback Score
    While I don’t necessarily agree with it, the older guys on the show Yukon Men harvested plenty of caribou during the shows run with some old school AR’s

https://youtu.be/1GOWuky9Oj8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I would rather shoot a moose or elk with a 140-156-gr bonded (e.g. Nosler AccuBond, Norma Oryx) 6.5mm/.264" bullet than with anything available in .277".

I do not believe that bullets of such weight are available loaded for 6.5mm Grendel and, moreover, I'm reasonably certain that given the Grendel's short cartridge case, it would not be possible to load them without severely reducing the powder capacity of the cartridge.

Given the success many old school local hunters have had with 22-250s loaded with 60-gr Nosler Partitions in humanely harvesting elk, I can think of no reason why a 5.56mm rifle loaded with similar traditional bullets (Nosler Partitions and Swift A-Frames) or more modern bonded and all-copper bullets (Speer Gold Dot/Federal Fusion, Hornady GMX, Barnes TTSX/TSX) could not be used to similar effect.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast