Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: IS IT POSSIBLE TO HUNT BIG GAMES USING AN AR 15?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    This guy gets ~2200 fps with a 156 grain bullet from a 16" barrel. Pressure unknown. That's still pretty far from a 6.5x55mm. Still quite effective up close I suppose.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For ethical reasons I won't shoot at a deer with a 556 rifle. My current go to is 450 Bushmaster, which I am confident will take down most any NA game.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjh View Post
    Not really. He’s just new to whatever he’s trying to do and hasn’t found an online home yet.
    I've been there and done that a time or two. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries to get a meaningful response.

Granted, some ghosts posters are just trying to stir the pot as the saying goes but, others, myself included, were really just looking for a meaningful and useful response to our post.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Yes, those numbers will do the job with the Swede, but not even close to achievable with the Grendel. Am I misunderstanding you?
    The right tool for the job sort of thing. Not everyone needs a 30-06 or 300WM.

6.5 Grendel > 6.5x55 > 6.5 PRC, etc. which is a bit like the 300BO/30-30 > 7.62x51 x 30-06 > 300 'magnum'.

My Grendel will do ~95% of what I need it too but, I still really like my 6.5x55 rifle and 7x57. For me, either of those gets me to 99.99% of what I need. I can Walter Mitty a scenario where a Swede or Mauser won't work but, in my life that is a fantasy scenario and not a practical one. YMMV!

I used to be one of the guys needing a SLEDGE HAMMER to hang a picture but, as I got more experience in life realized sometimes a 12oz clam hammer is better.
    Last edited by Sid Post; 12-02-20 at 10:03.

Feedback Score
    In my state, the smallest caliber for white tail is 22 mag. So I would say 5.56 is good enough for deer. The deer I have taken with 5.56 all dropped instantly

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    I used to be one of the guys needing a SLEDGE HAMMER to hang a picture but, as I got more experience in life realized sometimes a 12oz clam hammer is better.
    Clam hammer?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by robbins290 View Post
    In my state, the smallest caliber for white tail is 22 mag. So I would say 5.56 is good enough for deer. The deer I have taken with 5.56 all dropped instantly
    That has mostly been my experience too, but when they didn't drop instantly (in my experience and what I have read online from others) there isn't much, if any, blood trail to follow, at least initially that has been different than my experience with .308 Winchester.

I neck shot a doe several years back that wasn't the normal hit the ground instantly, but apparently did hit an artery. The first drops of blood were maybe 1/4 tsp about 100 yards away from where she was shot. The next blood was 25 to 50 yards from that and started looking like someone was slinging coffee cups full of blood every few feet.

Feedback Score
    Glad you have the same results. Most people automatically think you are shooting deer at 400 yards. I stick with 100 yards or less and almost all the ones i shot are well under 35 yards. Hard to get a long shot in thick woods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    For ethical reasons I won't shoot at a deer with a 556 rifle. My current go to is 450 Bushmaster, which I am confident will take down most any NA game.

Why is it unethical to shoot a deer with a 5.56?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Clam hammer?
    Darn auto-correct, how claw went to clam is an Artificial Intelligence mystery.

Modern tools make me look illiterate!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast