Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muzzle device for .300 pistol?

Feedback Score

Muzzle device for .300 pistol?

I am getting an 8.5" barreled upper for a .300 pistol. The upper comes with an A2 flash hider. I am wondering if there's a relatively inexpensive way to improve upon that. I have no prior experience with AR pistols. It's a project/range gun. I will load my own 125gr rounds so I can tune in some milder plinking loads, not going to regularly shoot anything fire-breathing.

From a lot of searching, it seems I might want to remove the A2 hider and get a linear compensator. Two things catch my attention.

1) KAK flash can (micro) - anodized Al, ~1.5 ozs. 1.75"L
    2) Tacfire linear comp - nitrided steel, ~6ozs. 2.25"L

Both have good reviews from a large number of users from what I can tell. Some of my thinking is that these are decent sized - KAK is the same size as an A2, and the Tacfire is only 1/2" longer. KAK makes a bigger flash can (3.5"), but if I wanted to add that much length I'd just buy more barrel instead. So sticking to something around A2 hider length is desirable. I'm also uncertain of the effect of the weight difference between the two as inertia in handling.

Opinions on this route, or either of these two?
    Or another modest suggestion?

This is an economy build and fun/interesting project to see how I like the platform, caliber, enjoy shooting it. If that's all a go I will consider a suppressor and sbr tax stmps in the future (we already have an NFA trust w/one suppressor in the trust, so it's not completely theoretical).

KAK micro flash can:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101952051

Tacfire unit:
    http://www.tacfireinc.com/5-8x24-308...de--p-855.html

Thanks for thoughts.

Feedback Score
    You’re going to want to suppress this down the road? Setup for that now if so. I use a SF brake and a SF Warden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had the KAK Slimline on my .300. Ok I reckon but no biggie.

Last edited by bamashooter; 01-14-22 at 08:23.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Our Covert Comp does a great job sending blast down range and tames down short barrels nicely.

Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Thank you all very much. This confirms I'm thinking right in going down the lin. comp. route. I'll pick one and chuck the A2 hider as it seems to me this will make a difference.

As to NFA, it's not at all decided yet. It will be at least ten days or more before I can even assemble the gun. I won't clear up other projects and clear out the reloading bench for a month or more to trim cases, form and reload them. Then it will rain every day for another two months here. This summer I'll see how I feel about the whole project and if I want to go further (load subsonic, get stamps, etc.). Not at all clear yet. Also, my father was a railroad machinist when young, among other things and skills, and we have a home shop. I can make a silencer and do it form 1 which I understand is a relatively brief wait if filed online right now. I'm in no rush to think about NFA right now as the trust is already in place and grandfathered (before the current ID regs) and I can do a diy thing form 1 vs Form 4 if I want. Not that a commercial unit would not be more perfect and desirable, and in fact it may indeed go that route depending on what I think come May or June.

I was looking at finished 308 silencers online last night and some of the products are very, very impressive. We could fabricate something cheap and somewhat effective

Thank you all for your input as it was all valuable.
    Last edited by Oro; 01-14-22 at 23:51.

Feedback Score
    These….. https://simplethreadeddevices.com/ … are well respected on the 300blk forum.

If you decide to do a suppressor, several companies make blast devices that use their QD brakes/flash hiders.

I hadn't seen the Black River Covert Comp that Clint posted but it looks nice. And he is an active member here as a bonus.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SBRSarge View Post
    If you decide to do a suppressor, several companies make blast devices that use their QD brakes/flash hiders.
    That's precisely what I saw last night when endlessly googling and was very impressed. What I was alluding to above when I mentioned what would persuade me to go Form 4/long wait vs. quick and dirty and quick Form 1. Some impressive engineering and products since I last visited the subject a long time ago (shot some Colt and even, yes, gasp, S&W full auto stuff pre-ban).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    All depends on what you want to do with it. As a basic super @ 8.5", it ain't excessively loud by any measure. Fire is fire. It can go in whatever direction its directed. But it's the same fire. A ball downrange (low/no light conditions) is just as disruptive as it is with a flash hider. The noise is more directed down range by a comp but as stated, it's tame. I personally find a linear comp to be of little value and greatly, as many "upgrades" are, over marketed.

Feedback Score
    You definitely want a linear comp. I have JAL comps from ARP on all my 6.8s and 5.56 and 300 bo except one and it is a , 20 bull .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I have a KAW valley on mine while I wait on my suppressor. They have good milling and come in different lengths. Have a few on hunting rifles as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast