Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A few Garand questions.....

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

A few Garand questions.....

Yes - I know this is an AR list.....:)

Years ago, I got rid of my Garands & Enfields. All were high quality shooters. (And yes - lots of regrets.:)
    Now - two months into retirement - I’m feeling like re-visiting Garands.
    Some Qs....

1). Looking for some good, respected sources for purchasing my first re-entry Garand. Looking for something between rack grade and top-of-the-line. Want functionality, good tolerances and appearance. Not concerned about matching numbers and history at this point in time. Suggestions?
    2). 308 vs 06???? Pros & cons nowadays?
    3). Other suggestions?????

TIA

geezer john
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    1) Go to CMP.org website, see what’s available, read up on the various grades and buy the best grade YOU can afford. Some come with new stocks and Criterion barrels.

2) I’m a 308 fan! Yeah, yeah ... no collector value and wasn't what Uncle carried in Korea or what GrandDad carried in Europe ... but of those were likely rearsenaled too already ... so there you go.

PROS for 30-06 - You can buy the ported gas plug by Garand Gear, which opens up more ammo avaialabiloty, where non-ported M1s need a specific powder profile at a specific pressure curvento avoidndamaging the operating rod, and receiver ... and you, lol!

CONS for 30-06 - Now to me, it used to be where I’d see milsurp Greek or other ball ammo for the Garand all over the place, but now all my friends with non-ported M1s are searching high & low for ammo (Surplus) to feed them.

PROS for 308 - Just cool, very accurate and using the Schuester adjustable gas plugs, I can dial in the cycling to M1A specific commercial or surplus loads (have been getting AMU Lake City ammo lately) or commercial loads, like the Federal M1A specific loading with the 168-grn open-tipped match ammo, shooting 1 MOA or better in my 308 Garand built to all National Match standards. She’s negative on the muzzle end and 0 at the throat and a reknowned Garand/M1A guru said it was one of the best 308 Garands he’s ver seen. Bought it on the cheap too, when everyone was abandoning M1s & M1As for the ‘black rifles’.

CONS for the 308 - It’s not what Uncle carried in Korea ... but he would have, if he could have, LOL!

3) Go CMP and buy the best ... and if you can (not sure due to Covid) drive to the CMP store ...
    Last edited by Lefty223; 11-19-20 at 18:23.
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Get a cmp special. No provenance and it's probably not a looker but they have new criterion barrels. Looks like rack grade specials can be had right now for $650.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    1- CMP
    2- 30-06 (but it doesn't really matter). In pre-covid times I had no issue finding 30-06 designed to be run through Garands from Prvi, S&B, Federal (American Eagle), and Hornady. It may be easier to find 7.62x51mm NATO and MSR-safe 308 Win nowadays. Easier to get a quality Garand from the CMP in 30-06, IME.
    3- Make sure you get an M1 web sling from ATF and an M1923 cartridge belt...
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    get both

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    You might also give Fulton Armory a look outside of the CMP process.
    "Adrenaline + tunnel vision + a little disbelief = that John Wayne moment" - Firefly

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious_ar15 View Post
    You might also give Fulton Armory a look outside of the CMP process.
    They are running nearly 5 months for either new builds or gun work, and I'll bet it ends up being longer than that. Given the [unfortunately] coming political situation that is too much time to gamble on. My recommendation would be to buy a Garand that is not a POS now from someone and have any gun work or re-barreling done locally.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    How far are you from Port Clinton, Ohio, a road trip to CMP North store might be worthwhile.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I went full boat nostalgia. I got a Winchester 30-06 Garand and a poop-load of enbloc clips and ammo last year. I'm delighted I did. I snagged a Springfield 1903-A3 from the same guy, it's one of the Smith-Corona ones.

Both shoot like a dream. Get a pair of slings, some tools and books, and have yourself a ball.

I'm going to try and take a deer with each rifle next fall.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I went full boat nostalgia. I got a Winchester 30-06 Garand and a poop-load of enbloc clips and ammo last year. I'm delighted I did. I snagged a Springfield 1903-A3 from the same guy, it's one of the Smith-Corona ones.

Both shoot like a dream. Get a pair of slings, some tools and books, and have yourself a ball.

I'm going to try and take a deer with each rifle next fall.
    I so regret selling mine. I got it about the same time all the Greek ammo was coming in. At that time I also managed to score a few thousand rounds of the Greek surplus 30-06 for pennies. Sold it all soon after in one of my minimalist phases

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast