Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Parents and student loans

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I graduated college in 1994. I went to a state school. Room/board, tuition was $7,300 a year. Tuition at my alma mater is now 31,000 a year. The cost of education has outpaced inflation.

Starting salary for a police officer in that town was $24,000 in 1994 Starting salary is currently $51,000.

Salaries have slightly more than doubled.. Tuition has more than quadrupled.

My oldest son is now 16. He has to make some decisions about college.

No way in hell do I want him to be in debt to the tune of $125,000 so he can get a degree in sociology, criminal justice, history, english, psychology, philosophy or any of the other horseshit majors that are offered.

It is borderline criminal for these universities to sell these programs to our children with the false hope that they will be able to pay off their loans and live a comfortable life.

My friend's son is 26 years old and has a $2,000 a month student loan payment. He refinanced it recently and was able to get the payment down a bit. He did a lot of post-graduate studies to become a physician assistant and has some earning potential. Still not having an easy time making that payment.

Our local community college has an excellent welding program. I know a 20 year old that graduated and is making $75,000 a year.

I switched my major from business to political science and graduated with a degree in criminal justice. I worked for an insurance company for several years before becoming a cop. Times have changed. if you couldn't find a job in the 90s you weren't looking. Education is too damn expensive today and the job market sucks.
    Last edited by signal4l; 11-28-20 at 09:53.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456