Thread: Parents and student loans

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    H-1B.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Too many people, not enough jobs.

Stagnate wages for 20 years. The price of a house and car had doubled, companies are still starting college graduates at the same salary as 20 years ago. Yes this includes STEM/tech jobs that require 4 years degrees at minimum. STEM does not pay that well.

You also hear the BS like about how there is not enough 2 year trade school graduates. Welding, electrician, plumbing etc. Unless you are lucky to own your own shop (which is basically impossible for most young starters due to the sky high price of real estate) you can plan on making $40k starting.

Add student loans on top of all this shit, and you have young people that can't buy a house, start a family, or start a 401k until they are 40 years old.

Too many illegal and legal immigrants.

Not enough real estate.
    What's wrong with 40k to start? All of the plumbers, election, welders, HVAC, etc I know are in demand doing well for themselves $ wise. Hell, I know house painters doing well. As with anything, to break 6 figures you will have to hussle and work your ass off, but all of them are doing better than the communications, art history, English majors out there.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    What's wrong with 40k to start? All of the plumbers, election, welders, HVAC, etc I know are in demand doing well for themselves $ wise. Hell, I know house painters doing well. As with anything, to break 6 figures you will have to hussle and work your ass off, but all of them are doing better than the communications, art history, English majors out there.
    $40k/year doesn't go very fair in most parts of this country.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    I know that the country operates under the belief that "EVERYONE needs to go to college". Apparently this applies to the folks that barely graduated high school with a 5th grade reading comprehension level and who think that Abraham Lincoln bombed Pearl Harbor?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    $40k/year doesn't go very fair in most parts of this country.
    So 25K with an art history degree is better? I'm unclear what you're getting at.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post

$15/hr, The new minimum wage, is $30k per year. So learn nothing and do nothing and get 15 bucks an hour for just about anything, versus get educated and work hard and make 40?

Engineering, and medicine for now, pay well. Everything else you better be in the top 10% to actually pull down some coin.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    From the article:

"The Rifes’ daughter, Stacy Johnson, now 41, got a good job as a nurse after she graduated. She is managing her own student loan payments, raising a family and sending her parents what money she can to help them out. It pains her to know that her 63-year-old mother, who has become disabled and can no longer work, goes without health insurance so her parents can make the loan payments."
    I guess it's good to know the daughter is at least trying to help, that leaves the son.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm pretty blessed in that, early on I knew I needed to make sure my Son got a University degree. About that time his Mom started sending child support, problem solved, I invested her Child Support into his College Fund.
    I did pretty good that way and I would recommend that anyone in the same situation look at going that route. If your not a single Parent you're going to have to sit down as a couple and budget that out with the wife and research/understand at least get a glimpse of what that's going to cost you later.
    Here is an idea;
    As I understand it the Federal Government guarantee's these loans, so essentially (we, the tax payer) are the co-signer. So how many Lesbian, Afro-centric, dance Studies PHD's are you willing to finance? I dunno man, maybe if we rewarded STEM degree's with more scholarships with that same money, well...
    Another thing;
    Maybe everyone doesn't need a college degree, for a lot of guys working with your hands is a better way to go.
    I would look for an apprenticeship, maybe approach a Master Plumber and sell yourself, act like an adult, show up, be on time and work your ass off. Ten years later, you're 28, debt free and a Master Plumber. Wanna go to College? get a degree in business or accounting and go from there.
    I would imagine, if someone would have taken a look at me when I was 5 or 6, they would have said I was ADD. I went to the Army, finished my degree and graduated at 38 with a 3.785 GPA.

Feedback Score
    Like the name predatory loans
    Cause ya know people were forced into new loans or over stretching themselves on homes they could not afford

Their is no accountability anymore you get what you deserve

Steve Jobs drop out
    Bill gates drop out
    Zuck head another dropout

So 3 of the most wealthy successful people dropped out ?

Yes its needed to move forward in some segments lawyers doctors certain professions and most more than make up in the long run
    but more and more tech companies are not requiring it and are looking for thinkers doers

Modern tuition is a joke though and needs to change BUT their are lots of ways to get scholarships and other things to help out

But then again when Biden takes over school debt for lefties will be forgiven and all will smell like roses and the glut of art majors will be looking for the free handouts ! The future looks great kids
    Last edited by Honu; 11-20-20 at 02:18.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Universities have gotten away from being education centers to being money making indoctrination, self esteem building communities. Tuition is skyrocketing because universities know they will get paid due to there being so many loans available to anyone, regardless if they have the capability to pay it back.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast