Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grendel mags and case taper

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Grendel mags and case taper

Something I’ve been trying to figure out: why do Grendel AR mags curve like 7.62x39 ones? The Grendel has much less case taper than 7.62x39, and Grendel AK mags look similar to the 5.45 ones (in pics). I would expect Grendel AR mags to look like 5.56 ones, at least superficially. Anyone have some insight on this?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Something I’ve been trying to figure out: why do Grendel AR mags curve like 7.62x39 ones? The Grendel has much less case taper than 7.62x39, and Grendel AK mags look similar to the 5.45 ones (in pics). I would expect Grendel AR mags to look like 5.56 ones, at least superficially. Anyone have some insight on this?
    Most of them do look like 5.56 mags, just with shallower ribs. The 7.62x39 looking ones are from one mfg and I’d guess they’re a way to offer mags without paying for new stamping dies.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Thanks. I didn’t realize they weren’t all curved like that. I’ll have to pick up some of the straighter style so they’ll work in my mag pouches.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    E-Lander makes the best Grendel mags. They are curved like 5.56 mags.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexHill View Post
    E-Lander makes the best Grendel mags. They are curved like 5.56 mags.
    Why are the E-Lander mags better than the mags from, say, ASC or C Products?
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by drtywk View Post
    Why are the E-Lander mags better than the mags from, say, ASC or C Products?
    I did a lot of research when I bought my Grendel uppers, and E-Lander mags consistently had the fewest feed issues of all the Grendel mags on the market.

A company called Amend2 has a polymer mag on the market, but no one seems to have them in stock.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexHill View Post
    I did a lot of research when I bought my Grendel uppers, and E-Lander mags consistently had the fewest feed issues of all the Grendel mags on the market.

A company called Amend2 has a polymer mag on the market, but no one seems to have them in stock.
    Yeah, the Amend2 mag is only 10 rounds single stacked inside a 5.56 20-round body -- and it hasn't actually been released yet.

If you really want polymer mags, you'd have to use a LWRCi Six8 compatible upper/lower and the Magpul Six8 mags with some minor mods.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by caporider View Post
    Most of them do look like 5.56 mags, just with shallower ribs. The 7.62x39 looking ones are from one mfg and I’d guess they’re a way to offer mags without paying for new stamping dies.
    May I ask what steered you to the AK magwell KS gun vs E-Landers in a standard lower?
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Don’t hold your breath on the Amend2 mags, they were supposed to be out a long time ago. It’s been so long Amend2 even stopped posting updates on the 6.5G forum. I hope they prove me wrong, would like to try some. But I’ve been reading “only a few more tweaks and they go in to production in a few weeks” from them for over a year now.

I have good luck with E-lander 17s and CPD 26s and both brands in 10s.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    May I ask what steered you to the AK magwell KS gun vs E-Landers in a standard lower?
    Curiosity and the 30rd capacity of the CSSpec mags. Plus I can easily convert to 7.62x39 by swapping uppers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast