Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Novice Build .308 Sub 3 MOA

Feedback Score

Novice Build .308 Sub 3 MOA

What is the opinion of the group on a novice trying to build a sub 3 MOA .308 on a AR 10 frame?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Novice Build .308 Sub 3 MOA

Should be fairly easy if you use half decent components and follow the basic instructions for a air-15 assembly. Main thing is a quality barrel and ensuring it is attached with the proper torque.
    Last edited by lonestardiver; 11-20-20 at 14:38.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm not an expert on AR 10 type of builds, but I do know that there's 2 or more different patterns of parts that are not compatible with each other. I believe the 2 main types are DPMS type and Armalite type, it's not all standardized like the AR 15 where you can just buy any part from any manufacturer and trust that it will work. You just need to make sure that all the parts you select will work together.
    Last edited by kirkland; 11-20-20 at 18:10.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I don't have any experience with AR 10s, but it's easy to get a large frame AR to deliver 1.5 MOA with match ammo or handloads.

I also agree with lonestardiver.

Good parts = good rifle
    Shitty parts = shitty rifle

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I built a 6.5 Creedmoor upper with a Ballistic Advantage barrel. With less than 20 rounds so far it is about 1.24” groups at 100yds with Hornady ammo. I know it still needs breaking in.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    With no Mil-Spec in the 308AR world you need components that will play nice together. For example an Aero Precision upper, lower, and BCG. You will have the 3 biggest working components of the rifle all from the same source. They will play nice. An Aero handguard will mate with an Aero upper without problem. While you are at it, buy an Aero lower parts kit to go with them. See where I'm going with this? All parts from same source and they WILL work together. At a minimum the upper and lower should come from the same manufacturer. The recoil system needs a 5.4 oz buffer that is 2.5" long and a spring designed for 308. The barrel can be from anywhere as long as it will meet your accuracy needs. With the current panic buying climate I know finding parts is a nightmare, but getting all the working parts from the same source will save you from the "after its built nightmares". The kind of nightmares all of the "my rifle doesn't work right" posts come from.

When I first joined here I was in the process of building my 308AR. I had read a lot of the horror stories of rifles not working. I already had an Aero upper/lower/BCG/lower parts kit on the way. I put it together, took it to the range, and from the first shot it functioned. No headaches or horror. Just bang.
    Last edited by dpete; 11-20-20 at 23:08.

Feedback Score
    3 MOA seems like a pretty achievable target (pardon the pun), assuming the barrel "likes" the ammo being fed to it. I've seen milsurp ammo shot considerably better than 3 MOA through modern barreled ARs in 5.56 & .308.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GSPatton View Post
    3 MOA seems like a pretty achievable target (pardon the pun), assuming the barrel "likes" the ammo being fed to it. I've seen milsurp ammo shot considerably better than 3 MOA through modern barreled ARs in 5.56 & .308.
    agree! German Dag is pretty accurate for surplus

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Advice?

What is your time and money worth to you?

Here endeth the lesson.

Feedback Score
    You should be able to build an AR.308 that can achieve 1 moa or at least close to it. I built an AR.308 using an Aero upper/lowering combo, an Aero BCG and Faxon 20" barrel. I only have about 125ish rounds through it, but get about 1.25 MOA, so far.
    Last edited by Red*Lion; 11-25-20 at 19:33.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast