Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barnes 70gr TSX fouling?

Feedback Score

Barnes 70gr TSX fouling?

I've been reading reports of the extreme copper fouling caused by Barnes TSX bullets in rifles. Some people are claiming their groups expanding from 1 MOA to 4-6 MOA after 30 rounds.

There are some articles claiming Barnes has fixed this issue with the introduction of grooves within the bullet to ease fouling and lower the pressure. Does this provide any significant relief of copper fouling or is the difference minimal?

Can anyone confirm just how bad these bullets depreciate accuracy after only 1-2 magazines?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by TacticalTaco; 11-21-20 at 13:05.

Feedback Score
    “Mag after mag in prolonged a self-defense situation”

Damn man, you live on the boarder and regularly piss off the cartel?

What kind of range you planning to be shooting people in “self-defense”? 4 MOA is headshots at 100. 4 MOA is body shots at 600.

The bore of my main rifle I last cleaned all the copper maybe 3,000 rounds ago? Upon inspection with a bore scope there is still no excess copper and more importantly it shoot sub-2 MOA with about anything, and sub-MOA with handloaded match ammo. I typically shoot about 100 or so rounds of Barnes through my rifle before hunting season and I’ve never seen any notable degradation in accuracy.

I believe you’re over-thinking this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    There’s a military organization that issues ammo with this projectile. They shoot an eff ton. I doubt many use a copper solvent, and they definitely require their weapons to work for more than one mag.

Unless your barrel looks like a sewer pipe, you’re overthinking this.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PracticalRifleman View Post
    “Mag after mag in prolonged a self-defense situation”

Damn man, you live on the boarder and regularly piss off the cartel?

What kind of range you planning to be shooting people in “self-defense”? 4 MOA is headshots at 100. 4 MOA is body shots at 600.

The bore of my main rifle I last cleaned all the copper maybe 3,000 rounds ago? Upon inspection with a bore scope there is still no excess copper and more importantly it shoot sub-2 MOA with about anything, and sub-MOA with handloaded match ammo. I typically shoot about 100 or so rounds of Barnes through my rifle before hunting season and I’ve never seen any notable degradation in accuracy.

I believe you’re over-thinking this.

Even worse, downtown Atlanta lol.

Thanks for the input, were those 3,000 rounds Barnes TSX?

Feedback Score

Barnes 70gr TSX fouling?

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalTaco View Post
    Even worse, downtown Atlanta lol.

Thanks for the input, were those 3,000 rounds Barnes TSX?
    Nope, but as I said I will shoot 100 here and there. Usually getting geared up for hunting and then actually hunting deer, coyotes, etc. Of that 3,000 I’ve shot a good 300-350 rounds of Barnes in the mix.

Last edited by PracticalRifleman; 11-21-20 at 11:13.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalTaco View Post
    I've been reading reports of the extreme copper fouling caused by Barnes TSX bullets in rifles. Some people are claiming their groups expanding from 1 MOA to 4-6 MOA after 30 rounds.

There are some articles claiming Barnes has fixed this issue with the introduction of grooves within the bullet to ease fouling and lower the pressure. Does this provide any significant relief of copper fouling or is the difference minimal?

I plan on using the 70gr TSX in a KAC SR15 for self defense and hunting. I'm now unsure if these would be ideal for using mag after mag in a prolonged self defense situation.

Can anyone confirm just how bad these bullets depreciate accuracy after only 1-2 magazines?

Thanks in advance!
    Bwhahahahahahahahaha
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Easy enough to test using your own rifle, I would think.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MQ105 View Post
    Easy enough to test using your own rifle, I would think.
    Maybe not these days, with the market like it is.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    Maybe not these days, with the market like it is.
    Well for one these days you can't even find any Barnes TSX at least not in 5.56.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Midway has been getting batches of 70gr 5.56 about once a month.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast