Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14.5 BCM "Go To Carbine"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

14.5 BCM "Go To Carbine"

Coming back around to wrap up the completed build to a thread I started asking for advice on aforementioned rifle. I've shot and own a few solid quality ARs but was looking to build a truly dependable rifle and set it up right from the start.

I have a solid exposure with M4 carbines and through my other rifles have developed preferences I used to form this build. That coupled with stellar advice from the forums and a lot of research culminated into what I think is an ideal rifle for me. Feedback always encouraged.

Didn't have an unlimited budget but didn't want to skimp on quality at any point. Didn't go with the absolute highest cost version of each part but think for the mlst part everything is well vetted.

Without further ado, here is the breakdown.

BCM 14.5 midlength upper with pinned comp mod 1

BCM QRF 12 handguard

Geissele BCG

Aero lower

Aero LPK

Centurion arms AST

Radian talon safety

Radian raptor charging handle

BCM mod 3 grip

Magpul fixed carbine stock

Geissele maritime bolt catch

BCM receiver extension and QD end plate

Sprinco blue

H1 buffer

Optics/accessories

Eotech EXPS 3 and G33 magnifier (jury still out on magnifier but so far liking it)

Daniel defense fixed front sight

Magpul mbus pro rear

Modlite PLHV2 18650 with a modbutton light

Haley strategic thorntail scout mount

Arisaka finger stop

Ferro concepts slingster

Certain aspects like the muzzle device and fixed stock were compromises that unfortunately had to be made due to state compliance but I don't think they detract too much.

Only 200 rounds through it so far but the buffer combo has the upper gassed perfectly and everything is running smoothly so far.

20201121_175903.jpg20201121_175839.jpg20201121_175846.jpg20201121_175920.jpg20201121_175914.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by maxpetros; 11-25-20 at 05:49.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I think you did pretty good here.

Two questions:

Can you get away with an H2 buffer?

How do you like the fixed carbine stock?
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Haven't tried an H2 buffer but could give it a shot if it would be an improvement. Tried different combinations of a standard carbine spring and buffer and the springco blue and H1. The blue and H1 yielding a 4 o'clock ejection pattern.

I honestly like the fixed stock a lot. I think from a dependability standpoint, its a bombproof stock. The length of pull actually works really well for my body type and shooting style. I even ordered the extended butt pad thinking initially it would be too short. After experimenting with and without a plate carrier, I settled on the original butt pad being an optimal length.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you're getting 4 o'clock ejection, I'd say you don't need an H2.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Nice. I’d prefer the fore end with the slick side of key model or preferably M lock. Just a bit less catchy on fabrics and easier to grip, but totally understand the use of fixed rails. How do you like that thorntail light mount?
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Nice. I’d prefer the fore end with the slick side of key model or preferably M lock. Just a bit less catchy on fabrics and easier to grip, but totally understand the use of fixed rails. How do you like that thorntail light mount?
    Definitely understand the preference for Mlok. I went with the quad rail for a few specific reasons.

I have fairly large hands and actually prefer a little more girth in my rails

I have come to appreciate the robustness and durability a quad rail provides (there are certainly very robust Mlok rails)

Should be more resistant to heating up from long strings of fire.

As for the thorntail mount, I'm very pleased so far. Very low profile, seems well machined and tucks the light tightly to the rail.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Nice set up.
    I assume the 14.5” is mid length?
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by matemike View Post
    Nice set up.
    I assume the 14.5” is mid length?
    Yes good catch, I'll update the OP

Feedback Score
    Is the Geissele BCG the REBCG one (nano-coated)?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Is the Geissele BCG the REBCG one (nano-coated)?
    No, just used their standard phosphate carrier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast