Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My RE seems a bit off center. Is it an issue?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

My RE seems a bit off center. Is it an issue?

I’m attempting my first build and when putting the buffer tube on I noticed after the staking that it might be a mm or two at most off center to the left. My stock is on the way so can’t really see if it’s negligible or not. It’s a Vltor a5 RE with HSP end plate. If I need to rebuy the end plate I will as I don’t think there’s a way to salvage it at this point if I needed to remove the castle nut and realign. So, my question is if it is off a mm or two to one side is it good to go still or should I just take it off and start again?

If I have to start over anyone got any recommendations for a gunsmith in NW GA that won’t try to bubba the build like someone already did earlier on in the build when I started?

I searched for the exact questions and couldn’t find anything quite what I was looking for so I’m hoping this may help someone in the future as well. Thanks again everyone.

Feedback Score
    Trying to picture what you are referring too.

Got any photos??

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    21C977A5-137A-4736-A0B7-8C5151AC951B.jpgHang on I think I got a pic

Also got more if needed
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fr3EK; 11-22-20 at 00:27.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    5DEEA4A1-0775-4F0D-B087-5ED8FD3BEC15.jpg

If I need to I can get better ones just. I just know when I look from behind it’s off to the left instead of being straight by a mm or two.
    Last edited by Fr3EK; 11-22-20 at 00:30.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Wait until you get the stock on, then you'll know. It does look a bit off, but could just be the angle.

FWIW, when I attach a buffer tube, I do it with the stock already on, for just this reason....they all have varying degrees of rotational "wobble", and I like to hold the stock nice and straight while I turn the wrench with the other hand...yes I use a vise to gently hold the lower while doing this. Confirm alignment and tightness, then stake.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    It’s happened to me before while doing a build. For whatever reason I couldn’t get the RE to stay true. It’s off maybe a MM or 2. Once I got my stock on, you couldn’t tell.

The only thing it’s going to affect is your OCD. That’s why I never take the stock off my build...

Quote Originally Posted by Fr3EK View Post
    I’m attempting my first build and when putting the buffer tube on I noticed after the staking that it might be a mm or two at most off center to the left. My stock is on the way so can’t really see if it’s negligible or not. It’s a Vltor a5 RE with HSP end plate. If I need to rebuy the end plate I will as I don’t think there’s a way to salvage it at this point if I needed to remove the castle nut and realign. So, my question is if it is off a mm or two to one side is it good to go still or should I just take it off and start again?

If I have to start over anyone got any recommendations for a gunsmith in NW GA that won’t try to bubba the build like someone already did earlier on in the build when I started?

I searched for the exact questions and couldn’t find anything quite what I was looking for so I’m hoping this may help someone in the future as well. Thanks again everyone.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3J4hZO9ZaDA
    This video shows a great way to install your extension.
    Last edited by dirkmagurk; 11-22-20 at 09:05.

Feedback Score
    https://botach.com/kz-ar15-m4-receiv...er-tube-block/

The RE is twisting under the torque of tightening the castle nut. Order the vise fixture in the link above to hold the RE versus trying to tq the castle nut with a vise block in the mag well.

Feedback Score
    Depending on how far afield it is, it can cause damage to the RE threads along the keyway. If it's not excessive just unscrewing the castle nut can chase the threads back to reusable condition
    "We all got it comin"....Will Munny

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 99cobra2881 View Post
    https://botach.com/kz-ar15-m4-receiv...er-tube-block/

The RE is twisting under the torque of tightening the castle nut. Order the vise fixture in the link above to hold the RE versus trying to tq the castle nut with a vise block in the mag well.
    That's kinds cool. However, I've put on dozens over the years and was always able to get them right. Sometimes I'd just seat it a bit off center and when I torqued it it pulled it straight. YMMV. Now they have tools for every detail and I've bought many, this I'll pass on.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast