Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight Vest + Body Armor question

Feedback Score

Weight Vest + Body Armor question

Background:

A couple years ago, I got a "give away" deal on a 5.11 Tactec plate carrier. I wanted it as a weight vest for conditioning training and have been using it in that capacity since (the vest is fantastic in this capacity, by the way). However, I was too cheap to invest in proper weights and have been using barbell weights slipped inside and attached. While it's been acceptable in this way, I've gotten to the point where I want to get some proper weights for it. So my options are to either get the proper fitness plates from Rogue Fitness (I'm going to include a link so you know what I'm talking about) or to get legitimate ballistic plates that weight about the same and potentially pull "double duty". I only want the vest to weigh between 10 and 20 lbs.

Link: https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-w...hoC7R8QAvD_BwE

Here's the question:

If I were to get actual ballistic plates, what are some reputable makes (as of 2020) that would offer a plate combination in the 10 - 20lb range? And given that the vest is being used for fitness, which plate cuts should I consider for maximum range of motion? Recognize that ballistic protection is not really a concern. It's more of an after thought with the thinking that if I'm going to spend some money on weight I should probably consider putting weight in the vest that will actually do the job for which the vest is designed. I don't know, maybe that's dumb.

Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    Most of us are trying to shave ounces on armor...

But seriously, about decade ago, I did the same thing. I bought a trainer pair of steel plates for an inexpensive armor carrier. Mine were not as dramatically different in weight differential as I think you are looking for. The intent was for rucking, push-ups, etc. with an extra 40% in weight and no issues with ceramic plates. However another threat rated pair of plates didn’t seem like a bad idea - and they were from a reputable vendor, DSG. I also think having realistic plate shape couldn’t hurt, especially over just using presumably round plates.

Any more it seems like there are all nature of vendors selling armor. I would probably start at AR500 and benchmark from there. Another suggestion is Body Armor Outlet, which had some crazy good prices on Tencate ceramics last year.

Also - obligatory statement about why steel armor is bad - spall and splash are real.
    Steel armor was state of the art in WWI - which ended 102 years ago.

Feedback Score
    I appreciate the reply. There are some really inexpensive composite plates from sources like LA Police Gear, BOA, and Botach that look like they might be okay for training, but what I can't figure is how well they'll hold up doing rolls or pushups or other exercises that will have them hitting the ground. The AR500 plates that I'm finding are also close in price, but I honestly can't figure out what would make sense. Like, would I want a flat plate for the back and curved for the front? Or curved for both? shooter cut vs swimmer cut?... again, looking for range of motion.

In any case, it seems like even the cheapest plates are going to cost around $200 for a pair. I'll probably just order a set of the rogue plates and call it a day.

Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    If the vest is primarily for training, get steel. You don't have to worry about throwing it around. Even if it was a training vest for rifle courses and the like, steel is just more durable.

Eventually when you get serious about a dedicated rifle vest you can buy ceramic or poly and it will seem light because your training vest is heavier.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    You could look at training plates like the ones from Team Wendy. I think at least one other company is making them as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    I have multiple sets of the Rogue Echo and US-made plates and they work very well. They're "multicurve" (not like the ones you linked) and definitely comfortable enough to work out in. I would not use ballistic plates in their place and have a separate set. They weigh less than my Rogue plates, which makes things much more comfortable when I switch from the heavy Rogue plates to my lightweight ballistic plates. I would highly recommend getting separate sets and protecting the ballistic plates so they better serve their original purpose. They aren't delicate by any means, but it doesn't need to be one or the other. I would definitely splurge for the curved sets regardless because those flat plates are going to bite into you hard while working out and conducting maneuvers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    You could look at training plates like the ones from Team Wendy. I think at least one other company is making them as well.

If you're going to buy steel training plates, you may as well buy AR500 plates... and dual use capability was a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisM516 View Post
    I would highly recommend getting separate sets and protecting the ballistic plates so they better serve their original purpose. They aren't delicate by any means, but it doesn't need to be one or the other.
    If OP expects to actually use his plates as ballistic protection, I agree. If it's just a "zombie apocalypse" thing, then just buy the ballistic plates.
    Last edited by tanksoldier; 12-15-20 at 20:39.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Feedback Score
    double post
    Last edited by tanksoldier; 12-15-20 at 20:40.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
    If OP expects to actually use his plates as ballistic protection, I agree.
    I should hope the OP is expecting to use ballistic plates for ballistic protection. My recommendation still stands. Get separate sets of plates even if it means saving up for a bit longer.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
    If you're going to buy steel training plates, you may as well buy AR500 plates... and dual use capability was a factor.

If OP expects to actually use his plates as ballistic protection, I agree. If it's just a "zombie apocalypse" thing, then just buy the ballistic plates.
    They’re not steel training plates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast