Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What caliber will I be when I grow up??? Custom build thoughts.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

What caliber will I be when I grow up??? Custom build thoughts.

So, working on my latest, "because I can build" and looking for input. Here's what I have so far:

Aero Precision M4E1 upper and lower (really impressed with this pair)
    LaRue MBT-2S trigger (love this thing!!)
    Strike Industries enhanced LPK.
    Magpul MAID grip
    Magpul CRT stock (meh...)
    BCM gunfighter mod 3 CH
    Bravo Company Manufacturing A5 Intermediate Buffer System
    BCM or Toolcraft BCG (about the same in my book and have one of each)

So, what am I missing, barrel of course which will determine caliber, muzzle device, handguard system (love Seekins, but would love to know some of your favs), and gas block/tube. Now here's where I get the mental block, what caliber???? 5.56 and 9mm are out, have both of those covered several times over. Was thinking in this order, 300 Ham'r (don't really hunt), 300 BLK (no plans on a suppressor, too many hoops) 6.8 (had one back in the day sold it, don't remember why).

What say you, great wealth of knowledge and opinion?? Is there a favorite of yours that I'm overlooking? Barrel, caliber, handguard????

Thanks for the input and before anyone asks, I have built many and build my own 1911's (a bit more tasking than an AR) and my budget for the missing pieces is about 500 or so.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    What do you want to do with it? What part of the envelope would you like to stretch? Distance? Cheaper ammo?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by opngrnd View Post
    What do you want to do with it? What part of the envelope would you like to stretch? Distance? Cheaper ammo?
    There's the rub, I simply don't know... all the calibers I listed are always pricey and I have .22 covered 5 different ways. I was just wondering what other folks were digging and I was missing. Cost is not a major factor, but always a consideration.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This won't fit your build.....

But when I wanted more than 556, I settled on 6.5 creedmoore.

zero regrets.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    This won't fit your build.....

But when I wanted more than 556, I settled on 6.5 creedmoore.

zero regrets.
    I totally get that, but when I go to the AR-10 platform, I move to bolt guns. Weight and accuracy start taking over, before capacity and speed. Long range, seems I can be a little slower and methodical.

Feedback Score
    .50 BMG. The perfect all-around caliber - more than capable at CQB distances and out to 2+ miles LOL

Feedback Score
    hard to say what you should build, but i've always wanted a 6.5 grendel upper.

Feedback Score
    Build a 6mm ARC, it is a very accurate round and has some energy behind it. More accurate than a 6.5 Grendel, and their is a ton of different bullets available for loading if you reload. It cost me about .35 cpr to reload and thats at todays inflated prices. This round pretty much checks all the box's, hunting, target, home defense. Even has ties to the military.
    Last edited by Dino11; 11-24-20 at 05:22. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dino11 View Post
    Build a 6mm ARC, it is a very accurate round and has some energy behind it. More accurate than a 6.5 Grendel, and their is a ton of different bullets available for loading if you reload. It cost me about .35 cpr to reload and thats at todays inflated prices. This round pretty much checks all the box's, hunting, target, home defense. Even has ties to the military.
    That's one I hadn't thought of! How does it stack against the 300 Ham'r?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LookAtYourself View Post
    hard to say what you should build, but i've always wanted a 6.5 grendel upper.
    That looks like a great round, but I've heard about feeding problems with it. I wonder if that's just internet wizards spouting off what their friends might have heard. Not sure if the 300 Ham'r is a big improvement over it and the ammo is certainly more available and less expensive.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast