Thread: The only benefit of a non-nfa "other firearm"...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

The only benefit of a non-nfa "other firearm"...

As I understand it if oyu have a stripped receiver that you build up with a brace, an OAL of over 26 or more, and a vertical foregrip it is then not a pistol and not a rifle and not an SBR.

Is the only benefit of this compared to a pistol the ability to put a vertical grip on it?

If so, that is not very appealing.

OTOH how might this be relevant to state bans? More importantly how might this interact with ATF's waffling on braces?

TED

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Some states consider them pistols. So you could have a "firearm" according to Federal law that is also a "pistol" according to state law.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It is big for states with active AWBs in place...

I’m originally from NJ. AR pistols are illegal, being the magazine is outside of the grip and it is over 50 ounces... two “evil” features. There is a NJ compliant AR pistol, but you really don’t gain much, especially being you can only transport it between certain locations (to/from home, gun shop, shooting range, etc).

NJSP originally approved the Shockwave/TAC-14 as a non-pistol/SBS. This setup was the next logical step. But to take it a step further... you can have an adjustable brace, threaded barrel (pretty sure flash hider is good to go), and all that can be transported anywhere (that firearms are not restricted) with possession of an FID card. Only BS is the ten round magazine limit...

I was looking at one, being I still have a few contacts from the NJ firearms community... including one manufacturer that is in NJ. But living in ME... AR and AK pistols are good to go. Why worry about the OAL? Why worry about a vertical grip? Just put a brace on it and rock on.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TED View Post
    As I understand it if oyu have a stripped receiver that you build up with a brace, an OAL of over 26 or more, and a vertical foregrip it is then not a pistol and not a rifle and not an SBR.

Is the only benefit of this compared to a pistol the ability to put a vertical grip on it?

If so, that is not very appealing.

OTOH how might this be relevant to state bans? More importantly how might this interact with ATF's waffling on braces?

TED

The Aug has a "built-in'" vertical pistol grip; here's something to compare it to...10.3" SBR.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    It is big for states with active AWBs in place...

I’m originally from NJ. AR pistols are illegal, being the magazine is outside of the grip and it is over 50 ounces... two “evil” features. There is a NJ compliant AR pistol, but you really don’t gain much, especially being you can only transport it between certain locations (to/from home, gun shop, shooting range, etc).

NJSP originally approved the Shockwave/TAC-14 as a non-pistol/SBS. This setup was the next logical step. But to take it a step further... you can have an adjustable brace, threaded barrel (pretty sure flash hider is good to go), and all that can be transported anywhere (that firearms are not restricted) with possession of an FID card. Only BS is the ten round magazine limit...

I was looking at one, being I still have a few contacts from the NJ firearms community... including one manufacturer that is in NJ. But living in ME... AR and AK pistols are good to go. Why worry about the OAL? Why worry about a vertical grip? Just put a brace on it and rock on.
    Agreed. Up until 18 months ago I too was in NJ and the “other” appealed to me. It still kinda does as I drive up there often to see family and it could be my NJ legal SHTF setup. Other than that, I’d just run an SBR and swap the upper to a pistol lower if wanting to leave the state without having to get an approved .20.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TED View Post
    The only time (at the Federal level) it matters if a pistol is at least 26 inches is if a vertical foregrip is installed. If a vertical foregrip is installed on a pistol that's shorter, it becomes an Any Other Weapon.

If the pistol is 26 inches or more, it becomes a firearm when a vertical foregrip is added and is prohibited from being concealed.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    Agreed. Up until 18 months ago I too was in NJ and the “other” appealed to me. It still kinda does as I drive up there often to see family and it could be my NJ legal SHTF setup. Other than that, I’d just run an SBR and swap the upper to a pistol lower if wanting to leave the state without having to get an approved .20.
    Unless you update your FID to your new address, it would go against the transportation laws...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Unless you update your FID to your new address, it would go against the transportation laws...
    It should be covered under the FOPA and after all, I’m going to the range. LOL
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.