Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primary Arms SLx 1-8x FFP - Question

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Primary Arms SLx 1-8x FFP - Question

I just picked up this scope, and have no prior experience with FFP LVPO. Being FFP, on 1x the reticle is pretty small and is supposed to be used more like a red dot for fast up close target acquisition. The problem I'm seeing is that with this scope, even on the highest brightness setting, the illumination is barely noticeable on a bright sunny day. I can still see the reticle because it's etched into the glass, but it doesn't pop like a red dot does. I don't have any other LVPO to compare to, and am wondering if i should have gone with a second focal plane (SFP) instead. Is this common with FFP optics?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Literally the biggest complaint with FFP scopes. You have to spend a good amount more to get something that'll perform better on 1x. The pricing for that scope doesn't even put it at an acceptable level for SFP scopes (cheapest recommended is often Viper PST Gen II) and FFPs tend to be more expensive.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ter-1-4x/page2
    Last edited by Wake27; 11-24-20 at 11:42.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Captains1911 View Post
    I just picked up this scope, and have no prior experience with FFP LVPO. Being FFP, on 1x the reticle is pretty small and is supposed to be used more like a red dot for fast up close target acquisition. The problem I'm seeing is that with this scope, even on the highest brightness setting, the illumination is barely noticeable on a bright sunny day. I can still see the reticle because it's etched into the glass, but it doesn't pop like a red dot does. I don't have any other LVPO to compare to, and am wondering if i should have gone with a second focal plane (SFP) instead. Is this common with FFP optics?
    Very few FFP scopes are anywhere near red dot bright. Our PLx models are brighter. The new Vortex 1-10X uses a totally different reticle illumination technology (refractive reticle) that is red dot bright. Both are much more expensive. The scope you have performs very well just don't think of it as a red dot. I leave the illumination off and my eye will adjust and quickly learn to pick up the black reticle.
    Last edited by marsh1; 11-25-20 at 08:29.
    Marshall Lerner
    CEO Primary Arms, LLC
    Contact me at: marshall@primaryarms.com

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by marsh1 View Post
    Very few FFP scopes are anywhere near red dot bright. Our PLx models are brighter. The new Vortex 1-10X uses a totally different reticle illumination technology (refractive reticle) that is red dot bright. Both are much more expensive. The scope you have performs very well just don't think of it as a red dot. I leave the illumination off and my eye will adjust and quickly learn to pick up the black reticle.
    I looked through one of your PLx 1-8 models the other day. Clear glass, and I thought it was a good buy for the money.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have used the 1-8 SFP for tons of matches and never had a problem with it not being day light bright. Just think of the reticle more like irons than a red dot.

The cheapest day light bright SFP options are the Steiner P4Xi or the Vortex PST gen 2.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Yeah, you have to jump up to the big leagues of Vortex Razor III and NX-8 / ATACR 1-8x to get daylight bright FFP optics.

If you can't get a daylight bright FFP in a 1-X optic, I think you are better off with a SFP design.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Thanks for the responses. It’s my fault for not doing the research before deciding on a FFP scope, I just assumed an illuminated reticle would be visible at all magnifications. I think for the budget I’m trying to stay within, I will be better served with a SFP scope.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the responses. It’s my fault for not doing the research before deciding on a FFP scope, I just assumed an illuminated reticle would be visible at all magnifications. I think for the budget I’m trying to stay within, I will be better served with a SFP scope.
    Many of the SFP scopes are not daylight bright either, so make sure you dig into that when you’re researching other optics before making a purchase. It’s just that there ARE daylight bright (meaning red dot bright, not “I can see some maroon when it’s sunny”) SFP options in the sub $1k arena when the same is not true of FFP optics.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rockapede View Post
    Many of the SFP scopes are not daylight bright either, so make sure you dig into that when you’re researching other optics before making a purchase. It’s just that there ARE daylight bright (meaning red dot bright, not “I can see some maroon when it’s sunny”) SFP options in the sub $1k arena when the same is not true of FFP optics.
    But with a SFP scope, the reticle isn’t tiny on 1x like it is on a FFP, so in my opinion the illumination isn’t as critical.

Feedback Score
    But with a SFP scope, the reticle isn’t tiny on 1x like it is on a FFP, so in my opinion the illumination isn’t as critical.
    You are not using the reticle elements at 1X. The large outer ring shrinks down to give you a dot like aiming point at 1X I will post images tomorrow
    Marshall Lerner
    CEO Primary Arms, LLC
    Contact me at: marshall@primaryarms.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast