Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Duty Grade LVPO suggestions

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I just want to point out that while I am a believer in LPVOs, I would not sell an RDS to fund an LPVO, unless you have a pile of RDSs and won’t be lacking for one or more red dots.

And unless you’re limited to one optic (for whatever reason), I would piggyback or offset an RDS with the LPVO: There’s nothing quite like bringing a carbine to bear on a target 10 yards away and finding out as you mount the rifle that your LPVO is at 6-power.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    I just want to point out that while I am a believer in LPVOs, I would not sell an RDS to fund an LPVO, unless you have a pile of RDSs and won’t be lacking for one or more red dots.

And unless you’re limited to one optic (for whatever reason), I would piggyback or offset an RDS with the LPVO: There’s nothing quite like bringing a carbine to bear on a target 10 yards away and finding out as you mount the rifle that your LPVO is at 6-power.
    Considering my limited funds, and the fact that I only have one RDS right now (an Aimpoint PRO) which is a known entity to me, I'm holding onto it. Since I want something with just a little more reach, I'm looking at possibly getting a magnifier for it instead of dropping double or triple the amount of money to completely replace everything with a LPVO. Someday I'll grab a Razor or something, but the magnifier seems a bit more obtainable right now. I'm not sure though, as a lot of people seem to pooh pooh 3x magnifiers as not worth the weight, and for the price of the Aimpoint 6x, I might as well just spend a little more for the Razor II.
    Last edited by BoringGuy45; 12-19-20 at 20:11.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    For $600, the Vortex PST II 1-6x24 is very hard to beat. I have one and it's been on a BCM 16" Mid, Colt CM762, and is now on my SBR SCAR 17 - seems to be holding up fine. I would have no issue using one as a duty optic if I was financially constrained. I chose it because at the time the Razor II was 24oz and everything else was 1-4x; coming from a Trijicon Accupower 1-4, the PST was definitely an upgrade in pretty much all categories.

Personally my go to LPVO is the NX-8 1-8x but I have RDS as well. If I was limited to 2 rifles I'd have one SBR with an Aimpoint T-2 / 3x mag and a 14.5/16" with an NX-8. But I'd be fine with a PST II as well. I will add that both of my Aimpoint 3x-Cs are in the flip & twist mount, so they are easy to remove and put back on depending on the need.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I hear good things about the Vortex Micro3X magnifier, if someone is inclined to purchase a less expensive magnifier.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    I wonder how many of these suggestions are actually " Duty grade" like the O.P. is asking? I can't even find a Super Review on the Geissele optic but I would love to hear some first hand experience someone has with one. The vortex magnifier was not meant to compete as a duty grade product. A duty grade magnifier would be the Eotech G33. I'm also interested in duty grade LPVO's as I have all red dots but I would like something with proven credentials. Having the best replacement warranty is not good enough for my definition but I guess that is all subjective.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Yeah I wouldn’t trade one known good RDS for an LPVO. But if I had two guns, the second would be that LPVO. The capability is real and while I still didn’t use it a ton, I appreciate the option when I can see for several miles across the prairies out here and have no DMR/bolt guns with magnification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    I hear good things about the Vortex Micro3X magnifier, if someone is inclined to purchase a less expensive magnifier.
    I had looked at that one and heard a lot of good things as well. The older full size 3x magnifier was, from what I understand, okay but not great, but the micro is apparently good to go.

How is the Aimpoint 3X-C in comparison to the Vortex Micro3X?
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    I had looked at that one and heard a lot of good things as well. The older full size 3x magnifier was, from what I understand, okay but not great, but the micro is apparently good to go.

How is the Aimpoint 3X-C in comparison to the Vortex Micro3X?
    I can't speak on either but I do remember seeing many people over the years preferring the G33 to the Aimpoint offerings.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I can't speak on either but I do remember seeing many people over the years preferring the G33 to the Aimpoint offerings.
    That was in reference to the old 3XMag, not the newer 3X-C or 3XMag-1.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’d be very interested in reading about a comparison of magnifiers in another thread. There seems to be very little user discussion of these. Theres a few new magnifiers out that are vaporware also, making it worse.

To the point made about a Vortex magnifier not being duty grade: I disagree. Its not a primary optic. Sure, I want it to be durable, along with other optical characteristics like clarity. So utter garbage is to be avoided. But for a dude thats just going to use it for zeroing and flip it up once in a while to look at something far away, it does not have to meet the same requirements of a dot or LPVO. We have to define “duty” and what position the user holds.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast