Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: "Go Gear" questions, answers, tricks, hints and explainations (feel free to share))

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    11,024
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

    "Go Gear" questions, answers, tricks, hints and explainations (feel free to share))

    With political unrest running rampant in this country, as well as the looting and rioting that liberal governments are refusing to curb, it makes sense that we take a few minutes to think about the gear we use daily, might use daily, or have but hope we never have to use.

    I would like to use this thread as an all purpose and generic thread that everyone is free to post in, as well as ask questions. Whether you are showing firearms, pictures of food supplies, your smokehouse, offroad vehicles, bug out bags, plate carrier or LBE/ LBV, or you want to post and talk about your communications setups, its all good to go. If for some reason you are worried about black helicopters circling your house, just say the gear belongs to a friend. No need for people to post things they aren't comfortable with, or personal info, but we can all help each other out.

    I'll start with a simple setup that sees daily use, sometimes for short periods of time, and sometimes all day.

    The belt is a padded model from Tactical Tailor, as is the 4 point "H" harness. There are extra padding pieces on the shoulder (not shown), which pay for themselves if you have bad back, shoulders, or both.

    The pistol is a Glock 17 with Surefire X300 light, and the holster is a Safariland model with rotating/ locking hood piece. I use this because I have seen pistols get accidentally removed from kydex and leather holsters. Guns falling from the sky may be a miracle sometimes, but it stinks if its your gun that goes flying when you roll your Quad or fall into a stream. The locking feature is mandatory for any duty or outside gun. Actually, I think its mandatory anytime I'm not CCW'ing a weapon.

    The knife is from DPxGear, and is a 6" fixed blade. I like large knives, and if I'm doing work outside, a 6" beats a 4" or 3" any day of the week in my book. I always keep a sharp folding knife on my person, so if for some reason I need a second blade, I have one in my pocket. The position of the knife is because it works well in or out of vehicles, and I can draw AND sheath the knife one handed without looking (carefully). If I need to grab and cut something which has snagged me, its easy to do.

    The weak side/ off side has pistol magazines, and a rifle mag. I don't carry millions of rounds, water, or medical gear. However, this isn't the only gear setup that I use. Knife, gun and light have been highly effective for me through my military and law enforcement career, and I have found I use all three of them on a very frequent basis. Even if you are out in the woods, coyotes, weed farms, meth labs or other issues can easily pop up. More than once I've run into crazy people off duty, and more than once they have seen a firearm and decided to go off on their way.







    Stick


    Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

    I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...


    Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    11,024
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    "Go Gear" pro tip, if you want to stop worrying about what you are going to do if your sole AR15 breaks because of horror stories you have read on the internet, buy a tackle box and a lower parts kit. get crazy and label the spaces if you want. You don't need a label maker, but just remember that perm marker isn't really permanent and will come off eventually after parts slide around. To help avoid this, you can write the parts on the top as well as inside the box. This way you can even send people to go get parts if you need to. Or, more likely, if you haven't been building AR15s you forget which pins do what. Lastly, labeling parts allows you to see what you are out of, and that is just as important and knowing what you do have.

    Aside from the LPK (lower parts kit), you may as well grab a spare bolt, and toss it in. An extra extractor is always a good idea as well.

    I know guys who put batteries in with their spare parts bins, and while I don't do that myself, it would be a good way for me to see what I was out of or getting low on.

    If you have a better way of doing things, post about it and let us all know. This isn't the only way, and I don't claim it as the best way, this is just what works for me.

    Stick


    Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

    I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...


    Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    616
    Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    This reminded me how badly I need to order spare parts. I like the tackle box idea.

    I use a HPG Original Kit Bag daily that has quickly become my favorite piece of gear. I carry a 5" PPQ Q5 in there with TLR-1, spare mag, knife, small FAK, and other items I may have with me like wallet, keys, and cell phone. I like it enough that I'm planning on getting a Runners kit bag for my day to day stuff, and make the original one a "go bag" of sorts that will pair with my HPG Connor v2. I can have my rifle folded in the backpack and a fullsize pistol on my chest and no one is the wiser.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Mid-West, USA
    Posts
    2,527
    Feedback Score
    59 (100%)
    I like the spare parts organizer. Presumably, if you train regularly, you'll need to replace parts. I've been using a desk mounted unit that works fine, but won't travel well.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    828
    Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    "Go Gear" pro tip, if you want to stop worrying about what you are going to do if your sole AR15 breaks because of horror stories you have read on the internet, buy a tackle box and a lower parts kit. get crazy and label the spaces if you want. You don't need a label maker, but just remember that perm marker isn't really permanent and will come off eventually after parts slide around. To help avoid this, you can write the parts on the top as well as inside the box. This way you can even send people to go get parts if you need to. Or, more likely, if you haven't been building AR15s you forget which pins do what. Lastly, labeling parts allows you to see what you are out of, and that is just as important and knowing what you do have.

    Aside from the LPK (lower parts kit), you may as well grab a spare bolt, and toss it in. An extra extractor is always a good idea as well.

    I know guys who put batteries in with their spare parts bins, and while I don't do that myself, it would be a good way for me to see what I was out of or getting low on.

    If you have a better way of doing things, post about it and let us all know. This isn't the only way, and I don't claim it as the best way, this is just what works for me.

    Hey Stick, what tacklebox is this? I've been looking to buy one that's atleast semi-sturdy. The one you have pictured looks like what I had in mind, but all the Walmarts I've been to seem to just have the really flimsy ones. Trying to see if I can order one online

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    910
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Great idea for a post Stick. Thanks!

    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Just another filthy undesirable civilian "basement dweller"
    Posts
    5,800
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by w3453l View Post
    Hey Stick, what tacklebox is this? I've been looking to buy one that's atleast semi-sturdy. The one you have pictured looks like what I had in mind, but all the Walmarts I've been to seem to just have the really flimsy ones. Trying to see if I can order one online
    Not sure what Stick's using, but I saw something similar over at Imminent Threat Solutions and I bought the same Akro-Mils box they used--the various Plano Prolatch tackle boxes would work well here too. (I've used Plano for storage/transport of miniatures and model parts for years, along with organizers in my laptop cases, and they've given yeoman service.)
    Last edited by Diamondback; 11-25-20 at 19:14.
    Ye best start believin' in Orwellian Dystopias, mateys... yer LIVIN' in one!
    --after Capt. Hector Barbossa
    Joe Biden is not, nor will he EVER be, my President. #SauceForGooseSauceForGander #AllDemsArePedos

    LIFE MEMBER - NRA & SAF Not employed or sponsored by any manufacturer, distributor or retailer.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    11,024
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Not sure what Stick's using, but I saw something similar over at Imminent Threat Solutions and I bought the same Akro-Mils box they used--the various Plano Prolatch tackle boxes would work well here too. (I've used Plano for storage/transport of miniatures and model parts for years, along with organizers in my laptop cases, and they've given yeoman service.)
    I think the one I have is a Plano, but I’m not sure. I have a total of three tackle box setups now, and that is the small one.
    Stick


    Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

    I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...


    Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    11,024
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmnielsen View Post
    This reminded me how badly I need to order spare parts. I like the tackle box idea.

    I use a HPG Original Kit Bag daily that has quickly become my favorite piece of gear. I carry a 5" PPQ Q5 in there with TLR-1, spare mag, knife, small FAK, and other items I may have with me like wallet, keys, and cell phone. I like it enough that I'm planning on getting a Runners kit bag for my day to day stuff, and make the original one a "go bag" of sorts that will pair with my HPG Connor v2. I can have my rifle folded in the backpack and a fullsize pistol on my chest and no one is the wiser.

    That’s great, but I’m a visual person.... post up pics when you get a chance so we can see what you’ve got and how well it lays out.
    Stick


    Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

    I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...


    Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    420
    Feedback Score
    0
    I'm a minimalist of sorts. I carry almost nothing in my vehicle the does fit in small sling backpack. Basically, a flash light, water bottle, fixed blade knife, two spare 21 rd mags (for edc glock 19 RMR), baseball cap, ear pro, eye pro, pepper spray, small 'boo boo' kit & black zip up hoodie. That's it. registration and insurance cards are wallet sized. If, due to most unfortunate and unavoidable circumstances I need to abandon my vehicle, I can exit vehicle and discreetly blend into the environment or shoot my way out of it. That is my "go bag".
    Last edited by drsal; 11-26-20 at 21:19.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •