Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Go Gear" questions, answers, tricks, hints and explainations (feel free to share))

Feedback Score
    Firearms aside, I have a three day pack. I am also the minimalist's minimalist, so: Russian potato sack pack, tube tent (self made) three days dry food, canteen, clothes on my back--spare socks and underwear, energy pills, homemade cooking gear, boots, two space blankets, two plastic rain ponchos, KA-Bar, knee-elbow pads, battle belt holding six mags, mosquito head covering, fire starters, thermal camo cloak, hat, lots of little items, lube for rifle. I need a section of roll-up commercial insulation for a sleeping pad. There will be some throw-in items like hearing protection. I bought this all at the surplus store or on-line for next to nothing.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    HAVE A PLAN

The below pic is more of a place holder than anything, but the intent is to showcase plans outside the house are important. Plans are just as important as the equipment you own, or have access to.

Lets start with your house. Have you ever had to shoot someone inside your house? What about shooting someone or firing warning shots on your property? Lots of guys have deployed, but their families have not. YOUR personal plan starts with your household members, and persons likely to be at your house. If you fire rounds off without warning does your spouse notice? Does your spouse freak out? Does your spouse come running outside screaming your name? Do the dog(s) get released outside when there is a threat? What happens to any small children who are outside?

How long does it take you to access a firearm, high intensity flashlight, first aid kit, phone, and fire extinguisher? Does everyone in the house have direct knowledge of where those things are, and how to use them? Lets move past the idea of a riot or zombie apocalypse, and think of an accident in the house where a car falls or rolls onto you, a circular saw eats your hand, or a stray round catches you in the ribs (hunter or gang banger)...

You are certainly more likely to be the victim of an accident than having to shoot someone. Medical aid is a real concern, even if you only have the basics, do you know how to plug a wound or pinch an injury off with direct pressure? Does your spouse deal with blood and high stress very well? How about yourself? The first time you see yourself spurting blood you are probably going to be having a different feeling than regular cuts and bruises. At least have ice packs in the freezer, gauze, and wraps. Please, don't neglect this.

If you have kids consider making a trauma box for them. No, you don't need your kids popping IVs to all their neighborhood friends, but being able to clean and dress basic wounds at an early age is a blessing when they grow up. Any time I am cut or hurt and my nieces are over, I make a big act of hurting really bad and smear the blood all over. The kids have to act, figure out what to do, and dress the injury site. These kids are now more ruthless than a pissed off army medic. They sternly tell me to be silent, then make me state what the injury is from, then be silent again. They scrub wounds clean on me, and my understanding is they are awesome and compassionate when they fix each other.

The above are just a few things to think about, and regardless of what people tell you, you don't rise to the occasion of crisis. People tend to sink to their lowest level of training and that is what we are looking to work with. Fire drills, intruder drills, injury drills and the list goes on and on. If you make them into games, or keep the "training" to 5 minute blocks, the family should do pretty well.

Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post

The kids have to act, figure out what to do, and dress the injury site. These kids are now more ruthless than a pissed off army medic. They sternly tell me to be silent, then make me state what the injury is from, then be silent again. They scrub wounds clean on me, and my understanding is they are awesome and compassionate when they fix each other.
    I like it. I grew up with my Dad doctoring people at church picnics and such with whatever was handy, usually black electric tape. If it was real serious, his old doctors’ style bag came out, which had some potent pharmaceutical magic and a field staple kit. Made a mark on me by age 7-8 - you don’t need much, but having the right stuff made a difference.

My kids get exposed to blood and minor at-home wound treatment whenever possible. Adding a boo-boo kit to their school pack is timely - they already have “emergency” face masks and a flashlight.

Feedback Score
    Go gear has several different connotations. Go bag /gear at home for emergency evacuation, such as flooding, forest fire, brutal acute natural disaster type situation, vs emergency bag in vehicle when traveling long distances, road trips, vs. edc items in car for urgent situation of choice occurring in your specific environment. Similar to an earlier post, I carry practically nothing in my vehicle, except a water bottle and phone charger. City map, registration /insurance cards in small envelope in center consul, with spare 21 rd mag.That's it. On person, usual etc: Glock, flashlight, fixed blade, lighter, mini pocket 'boo boo' kit, (band aids alcohol wipes, visine eyedrops, a few 800mg Advil) baseball cap, mini multi-tool,bandana in pocket. Everything fits in cargo pockets. Though, I will now add a lightweight hoodie as a just in case. Simple rapid ambulatory items in case some untoward event transpired and vehicle inoperable due to_____ (fill in circumstances of choice).

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Check out the below link for ideas in how to get padding onto your gear and be more comfortable.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-or-other-gear

Attached Images Attached Images
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    HAVE A PLAN

The below pic is more of a place holder than anything, but the intent is to showcase plans outside the house are important. Plans are just as important as the equipment you own, or have access to.

Lets start with your house. Have you ever had to shoot someone inside your house? What about shooting someone or firing warning shots on your property? Lots of guys have deployed, but their families have not. YOUR personal plan starts with your household members, and persons likely to be at your house. If you fire rounds off without warning does your spouse notice? Does your spouse freak out? Does your spouse come running outside screaming your name? Do the dog(s) get released outside when there is a threat? What happens to any small children who are outside?

How long does it take you to access a firearm, high intensity flashlight, first aid kit, phone, and fire extinguisher? Does everyone in the house have direct knowledge of where those things are, and how to use them? Lets move past the idea of a riot or zombie apocalypse, and think of an accident in the house where a car falls or rolls onto you, a circular saw eats your hand, or a stray round catches you in the ribs (hunter or gang banger)...

You are certainly more likely to be the victim of an accident than having to shoot someone. Medical aid is a real concern, even if you only have the basics, do you know how to plug a wound or pinch an injury off with direct pressure? Does your spouse deal with blood and high stress very well? How about yourself? The first time you see yourself spurting blood you are probably going to be having a different feeling than regular cuts and bruises. At least have ice packs in the freezer, gauze, and wraps. Please, don't neglect this.

If you have kids consider making a trauma box for them. No, you don't need your kids popping IVs to all their neighborhood friends, but being able to clean and dress basic wounds at an early age is a blessing when they grow up. Any time I am cut or hurt and my nieces are over, I make a big act of hurting really bad and smear the blood all over. The kids have to act, figure out what to do, and dress the injury site. These kids are now more ruthless than a pissed off army medic. They sternly tell me to be silent, then make me state what the injury is from, then be silent again. They scrub wounds clean on me, and my understanding is they are awesome and compassionate when they fix each other.

The above are just a few things to think about, and regardless of what people tell you, you don't rise to the occasion of crisis. People tend to sink to their lowest level of training and that is what we are looking to work with. Fire drills, intruder drills, injury drills and the list goes on and on. If you make them into games, or keep the "training" to 5 minute blocks, the family should do pretty well.

This is good, something we only recently, in past few months, really talked about. My kids, they are all down on the medical stuff (because of what I do). But my bedroom is the furthest from any point of entry into the house...a booger-eater would need to get past everyone by the time they got to my room; conversely, I would have to go past my kids' rooms to go downstairs. We've talked about where to hide, egress out the window (same as fire), etc., as well as RP 1 and 2; where to go if I am down, if mom is down, etc. Now we're talking about what to do on drives through the city: "OK, we have to scatter, where are you going? How? Who do we know who lives near here?" If for no other reason these things help develop critical thinking.

Feedback Score
    To the original intent of the thread, the Portland Oregon news reports are always an educational experience.
    The Anfifa/other folks coming out to party do so with the expectation of being on foot for some time and generally being there to party. Maybe there are lessons to be learned.

I believe these are from the 2pm on Wednesday riots last week:

1087F216-2457-4745-B521-78F9693CB2BE.jpeg

C5AE29EB-519A-4F37-AB31-646F7D380379.jpeg

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HardToHandle View Post
    To the original intent of the thread, the Portland Oregon news reports are always an educational experience.
    The Anfifa/other folks coming out to party do so with the expectation of being on foot for some time and generally being there to party. Maybe there are lessons to be learned.

I believe these are from the 2pm on Wednesday riots last week:

1087F216-2457-4745-B521-78F9693CB2BE.jpeg

C5AE29EB-519A-4F37-AB31-646F7D380379.jpeg

Are they using "Right Guard" in their masks?

The lower pic shows what looks to be a black powder explosive device, which makes him a legit target for lethal force.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    So does the knife and the expandable baton. We’re only one “AntiFa schlub catching legitimate rounds in the face” away from open conflict...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by w3453l View Post
    Hey Stick, what tacklebox is this? I've been looking to buy one that's atleast semi-sturdy. The one you have pictured looks like what I had in mind, but all the Walmarts I've been to seem to just have the really flimsy ones. Trying to see if I can order one online
    I did something similar with boxes I bought off the Snap-on truck and used masking tape to make labels.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast