Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which HD Ammo 2" 38 SPL

Feedback Score

Which HD Ammo 2" 38 SPL

Last year my daughter moved to S. Korea and left me a Rossi Interarms M88 in .38SPL. I'm wondering if it can handle the Personal Defense HST Micro 38 Special +P or if I should stick to the Winchester Train & Defend 130gr? Both seem to get good ballistic geletin test.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Do you have a source for the gelatin test results?

How long is the barrel on the Rossi? That honestly makes a big difference.

I always tell people to check out one of the loads vetted by Dr Gary Roberts over on Pistol-Forum. Of course, since it's almost impossible to find any 38 ammo right now, I'd carry what ya got.

I don't think a limited diet of +P ammo will make your Rossi blow into tiny pieces.

Feedback Score
    Barrel length is 1 15/16". I've seen gelatin tests on both and the Federal HST was slightly better (more consistent): https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/t...-38-special-p/ than the Train and defend: https://www.luckygunner.com/38-speci...rounds#geltest. I've got a few hundred rounds of the Train and Defend so unless I can lay hands of the HST, I'll train with it for function which so far (20 rounds), seems okay. Optics Planet will back-order it. OOS everywhere else.

Feedback Score
    In my 2" .38's I use the Remington +P 158gr LSWCHP, or what's commonly referred to as the FBI load. Buffalo Bore, Federal and probably others offered the same load. Remington is said to have a softer lead for better expansion. If for some reason they don't expand, the heavier round should still provide decent penetration.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I've used the Speer 135 gr. Gold Dot "Short Barrel" round for several years.
    Allegedly designed for barrels as short as 1.90" it has always worked well in my 2" mod. 12's/10's and J frames.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
    Barrel length is 1 15/16". I've seen gelatin tests on both and the Federal HST was slightly better (more consistent): https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/t...-38-special-p/ than the Train and defend: https://www.luckygunner.com/38-speci...rounds#geltest. I've got a few hundred rounds of the Train and Defend so unless I can lay hands of the HST, I'll train with it for function which so far (20 rounds), seems okay. Optics Planet will back-order it. OOS everywhere else.
    Cool, thanks for the links. Chris is good people, and I'd take what he says to the bank.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I've used the Speer 135 gr. Gold Dot "Short Barrel" round for several years.
    Allegedly designed for barrels as short as 1.90" it has always worked well in my 2" mod. 12's/10's and J frames.
    Yup, I have a small stash of that here in the secret hidden bunker. It's basically their +p load, according to Chuck Haggard. Like you know, velocity is crucial in the short barrel loads.

The .357 short barrel load is pretty spectacular out of a 2.5" Model 19 - hehehehe. Nothing like throwing in a flash bang for extra help.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Is the COR-BON .38 Special +P 110gr DPX still considered a good SD load?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I carry Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 135 gr. in both my 442 and 360 Pro. IIRC, this ammo is on DocRoberts approved list.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    You asked if the Rossi can handle +P. Any modern 38 spl is safe with +P ammunition, although some may have accelerated wear and tear from it. Certainly 100 rounds won't hurt it and you can just use standard pressure to practice with.

I would follow the recommendations here and run the Speer short barrel ammo, if you can find it. If not, run your +P HST and don't sweat it.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 11-27-20 at 09:39.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast