Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colt 1903 Hammerless

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Wow, that pistol looks to be in outstanding shape for it's age.

I have no use for a pistol like that but if I was wealthy beyond my means, I would certainly own one (I'm not a collector).

Thanks for sharing these and all your other outstanding firearms - you have great taste.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I never carry it with one in the chamber, always condition 3. Pull it out, rack it, shoot. I've used it to pop grouse when bow hunting or just generally plink at targets at camp. it's a backup to the .357 on my hip. If I'm carrying a modern auto pistol for self defense it will be in a holster and in condition one, but that little .32 will be in condition 3 because it's an old gun and it's just in the back pocket. No worries. Interesting story though, and tragic, I have heard other stories of old guns being dropped and going off.

Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    Brother, please take this in the spirit intended. These old guns are not drop safe and it's not just a "theoretical" issue--- Here is why it matters-

"Longtime S.W.A.T. Magazine Contributing Staff Member Steve Malloy was killed in a tragic shooting accident at his home on April 16.

As best as can be determined, Steve had a 1903 Colt pistol in his waistband and when he bent over to tie his shoes, the pistol fell onto the floor and discharged—the bullet struck Steve in the chest. He was found in the garage, apparently trying to leave the home to summon aid.

His wife Rhonda, daughter Stacey and son Ross survive him. Second Amendment proponents have lost a valuable ally. The firearms industry has lost an excellent writer. We have lost a friend. Rest in peace, Brother."

-Denny Hansen
    -S.W.A.T. Magazine

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
    I never carry it with one in the chamber, always condition 3. Pull it out, rack it, shoot. I've used it to pop grouse when bow hunting or just generally plink at targets at camp. it's a backup to the .357 on my hip. If I'm carrying a modern auto pistol for self defense it will be in a holster and in condition one, but that little .32 will be in condition 3 because it's an old gun and it's just in the back pocket. No worries. Interesting story though, and tragic, I have heard other stories of old guns being dropped and going off.
    I have often heard of issues with non drop safe pistols but finding actual cases is a little harder, since this involved the exact same gun it came to mind immediately. There was a lawsuit against Ruger here in Texas for an Old Model Blackhawk that shot a guy 20-30 years ago- he was changing a tire and the pistol fell to the roadway and went off.....It went up to the Court of Appeals level at least, that's the only way I heard about it. There is a whole generation of shooters unfortunately (?) that grew up on VERY SAFE pistols who might not know about some of the issues with older designs.....
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    That's a fine pistol! JMB's favorite carry gun if I recall.

Thanks for the warning. I can't bring myself to carry single-action pistol cocked and locked unless it's in an OWB holster. Even a S&W Shield made me uncomfortable.

I will carry a Beretta M950 in a pocket sometimes (secondary) in condition 2 but it was designed for that because it has an inertia-style firing pin with a spring and the hammer rests on the slide.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12